Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Default Guilty Pleasure Storylines or Series

What is everyone's favorite guilty pleasure?
    And why?
    Was it the writer or story?
    Was it the artist?

I'd probably have to rank the "Round Robin: The Sidekick's Revenge" as my top GP.
    Post-Larsen, Mark Bagley's work really stuck with me, and while I never gave two craps about the New Warriors, Darkhawk, Moon Knight, or Punisher, this story kind of brought out a newfound respect for them.

Last edited by McFarlane's Green Hulk; 08-24-2022 at 07:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Mighty Member

Controversial but I have a soft spot for Sin's Past. It was the first amazing arc I got into transitioning from Ultimate Universe Marvel to Mainline Marvel and for that, it'll hold a special place for me.
    It's not good at all and I'm glad it got retconned and if it was even the second amazing arc, I probably would hate it.
    But I can't possibly hate the comic that started a run up until Slott was finishing (and then I came back with Spencer, there's only a gap of about 10 issues I don't have in any form... I used the get the British comics for about 10 years).

BANNED

Spiderman: The Gathering of Five. Norman Osborn at his most insane without having to delve into gratuitous territory that not only violates Peter but also the reader's mind. Every next author tries to take the Osborn/Parker battle to the next, twisted level. Well we crossed the line decades ago.

I am going to pile on with the Spiderman.

I get a lot of flack for this But I really enjoyed One New Day and Brand New Day. I cant quite pin point why because I did enjoy the MJ Peter Marriage. But to me it opened up some fun stories that could not have been done with Spiderman being married to MJ. And I am a Charlie Cooper fan.

On the non Siderman side I will go with Super Pro. I have every issue he was ever in I even have Marvel Team Up 9 where stilman talks about beating up a guy called Super Pro last week and he was the silliest looking guy.

It will always hold a special place for me because when it came out I was in middle school. I stayed home because I was very sick. And my dad when he was at the store saw issue one on a spinner rack and since it had Spiderman (He knew I loved Spiderman) he got it for me. That framed issue and my orange blanket I have had for 36 years are the only two things I have from my childhood. So I'll have no truck with any Super Pro bashing. Not on my watch
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Spectacular Member

Spider-Man, any and all eras, especially the era from Spider-Hunt to The Final Chapter, including The Gathering Of Five, but also, The Clone Saga *Gasps*, I'm almost easy to please with Spider-Man, OMD, OMIT and Sin's Past were hard, but I can appreciate Dan Slott and Nick Spencer

Voice Actor and Youtuber

Spider-Man and the Punisher is a great matchup in my opinion.

I am going to add "Operation Galactic Storm" to this list as well.
    When it first came out, I loathed it. Thought they were just milking the entire crossover thing to the hilt.
    Flash forward a couple of decades (or whenever the first two volume set came out) and I bit the bullet.
    Actually enjoyed it.
    I had four subscriptions back in the day; Hulk, ASM, Thor and UXM. So I was able to read the Thor portions, thought they were ok. Same with Wonder Man, got the first ten issues of his series.
    Never read it in its entirety and pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    And why?
    Was it the artist?

I'd probably have to rank the "Round Robin: The Sidekick's Revenge" as my top GP.
    Post-Larsen, Mark Bagley's work really stuck with me, and while I never gave two craps about the New Warriors, Darkhawk, Moon Knight, or Punisher, this story kind of brought out a newfound respect for them.

I am going to add "Operation Galactic Storm" to this list as well.
    When it first came out, I loathed it. Thought they were just milking the entire crossover thing to the hilt.
    Flash forward a couple of decades (or whenever the first two volume set came out) and I bit the bullet.
    Actually enjoyed it.
    I had four subscriptions back in the day; Hulk, ASM, Thor and UXM. So I was able to read the Thor portions, thought they were ok. Same with Wonder Man, got the first ten issues of his series.
    Never read it in its entirety and pleasantly surprised.
    As guilty pleasure's go, yours are hardly bad. I love both storylines, and they are both high quality products. Those bi-weekly Amazing Spider-Man arcs were all great. David Michelinie was at the top of his game, and Marvel was putting some of it's top artistic talent on the book. OGS is, IMHO, one of Marvel's best cross-overs. The storyline jumps seamlessly between 7 titles, without missing a beat, and the art and story are very good. I really like Harras and Epting Avengers run, right up to the end of the Gatherer's Saga, which is one of my all-time favorite Avengers storylines.
    Which brings me to my guilty pleasure: Avengers - The Crossing. It's one of the few Omnibus I have, and I really like that story, not so much for what the story is, however, for the potential it had to be. The art is not as good as OGS, but it had it's moments, and there were so many great story beats. The Kang family with Mantis and her sons. The dimension hopping. The traitor within. Heroes being incriminated. The return of so many mainstays. Sure, it screwed up a lot, like giving us Teen Tony and Bug Wasp, but, if you overlook some mistakes, and see the potential, I think it's a great storyline.

Peace

^I think Round Robin was mostly an Al Milgrom story. Both Midnight and Lynn reappear in a pretty dark Moon Knight arc around the time of Civil War.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 08-25-2022 at 07:08 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    ^I think Round Robin was mostly an Al Milgrom story. Both Midnight and Lynn reappear in a pretty dark Moon Knight arc around the time of Civil War.
    Come to think of it, I think you're right. My bad. It's still pretty good, though. IMHO, of course.

Peace

Incredible Member

And why?
    Was it the artist?

This arc was actually the first comic series I ever owned so always have had a soft spot for it (I *am* a NEW WARRIORS fan and I became interested in Moon Knight from this, Punisher has never been a character to interest me).

I know it's controversial, but my choice would be...

X-Women

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    As guilty pleasure's go, yours are hardly bad. I love both storylines, and they are both high quality products. Those bi-weekly Amazing Spider-Man arcs were all great. David Michelinie was at the top of his game, and Marvel was putting some of it's top artistic talent on the book. OGS is, IMHO, one of Marvel's best cross-overs. The storyline jumps seamlessly between 7 titles, without missing a beat, and the art and story are very good. I really like Harras and Epting Avengers run, right up to the end of the Gatherer's Saga, which is one of my all-time favorite Avengers storylines.
    Which brings me to my guilty pleasure: Avengers - The Crossing. It's one of the few Omnibus I have, and I really like that story, not so much for what the story is, however, for the potential it had to be. The art is not as good as OGS, but it had it's moments, and there were so many great story beats. The Kang family with Mantis and her sons. The dimension hopping. The traitor within. Heroes being incriminated. The return of so many mainstays. Sure, it screwed up a lot, like giving us Teen Tony and Bug Wasp, but, if you overlook some mistakes, and see the potential, I think it's a great storyline.

Peace
    I could have written this post. Fortunately, you did it better.

The Crossing is entertaining as all hell. Much of it had to go and did, like Teen Tony, but there are other aspects I would have kept, including Bug Jan.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

As someone who doesn't care about 99% of all earth-1610 characters I enjoyed Ultimatum for how schlocky the violence was. Then again I like schlocky violence which is why I enjoy Jeph Loeb at his worst and most works of Mark Millar and Garth Ennis (Crossed aside. That **** is too much even for me.)

Tossing in the Al Milgrom run on the Hulk. Issues #321 thru #323 were my gateway books in to full-time uber collecting.
    I loved the Milgrom/Barras artwork on #320-323, and Steve Geiger was seriously underrated on his couple of issues on #326 & 327.
    But it brought about the Rick Jones Hulk (NOT that lame What If version), who I still love to this day.