Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Astonishing Member

They brought it back for some stories but focused on the main Earth more.

That's all out of the window with Didio logic gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Not to sound like a broken record, but I simply don't understand why they brought back the multiverse if they weren't going to take advantage of it.
    I often ask this question myself.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Not to sound like a broken record, but I simply don't understand why they brought back the multiverse if they weren't going to take advantage of it.
    Because they have no plan going forward. :/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Yeah, that was one of the few changes from the Arrowverse that actually worked.

I've read a few of Carter's Golden Age stories. I haven't read any of his Pre Crisis stuff so I can't say if he was aggressive in those days. He didn't have an ongoing (that I know of) like the alien Hawks did.

Not trying to knock JLU. I think they did a good job of giving each character a defined personality but also making them multi faceted. Shayera and John were one of the more complex characters on the show. I'm more talking about how later writers have interpreted those characters and how general fandom seem to perceive them.

Katar isn't a law and order guy. He rarely gets into arguments with any League members. Ollie on the other hand, is hot headed and argues with anyone and everyone including Katar. The latter is more of an example of 'beware the nice guy' trope. He is pleasant to talk to and he will calmly state his case but if you misinterpret and get on his nerves, he will progressively get more and more argumentative. Although I don't recall them arguing *that* often in the old Satellite era and I think it's just a case of modern writers exaggerating a few instances.

Barry was more of a conservative guy on old school JL since he got into an argument with Ollie when the latter listed Black Lightning being black as part of the reason to put him on the League. Even then that was attributed to Barry not being in the right state of mind because he was still reeling from Iris' death.

If Superman and Martian Manhunter both fall into the immigrant metaphor then so do the alien Hawks since they come across as a couple from another world, emotionally dependent on each other, trying to survive on this strange new world they've found themselves in and torn between the loyalty to their old world and the world they currently live in.
    I know Barry was always pretty straight laced and worked for the police, but he was also usually pretty compassionate and kind even to his enemies. Hell, he and Heatwave actually became friends after HW reformed. I've seen that Black Lightning story before and I always shrugged that off as just unfortunate writing that reflected the times rather than a usual trait of the character.

It's really weird how so many writers made Ollie and Katar/Carter so antagonistic over politics in retrospect. Kevin Smith, Brad Meltzer, Johns, etc all played that up so much that I assumed it was a big thing in the Satellite Era. Like I said, I know Hawkworld Katar was overtly liberal, but I always had assumed the pre-Crisis version was this intense, hard-nosed cop guy and that he and Ollie were always yelling at each other. That's interesting.