Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

The only character on this show that I like is Queen Allicent.

Enjoying this show but there is absolutely no one to root for imo. Any chance they subvert the books with Harwins fate? Two characters I could see being heroes in this story both got taken off the board. Shows done really well but iono how long it’s gonna keep me engaged if I don’t really care about any of the characters. GOT instantly showed you characters you could root for especially in John and Tyerion. This show has a character do something horrible the minute you think about rooting for them. It’s an interesting way to tell a story but I think long term I’m gonna need some characters to attach too that I care about. Guess we will see
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 09-26-2022 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Enjoying this show but there is absolutely no one to root for imo. Any chance they subvert the books with Harwins fate? Two characters I could see being heroes in this story both got taken off the board. Shows done really well but iono how long it’s gonna keep me engaged if I don’t really care about any of the characters. GOT instantly showed you characters you could root for especially in John and Tyerion. This show has a character do something horrible the minute you think about rooting for them. It’s an interesting way to tell a story but I think long term I’m gonna need some characters to attach too that I care about. Guess we will see
    That's exactly what I was saying previously. GoT had good guys vs bad guys and this show is more like the Real Housewives of Westeros. So you need to watch it with a different frame of mind, imo.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    All three of the kids are bastards. Yeah, Rhaenyra is too dumb to be ruler.
    The worst part is that I see some people defending her for that. If she continued to have Strong as sidepiece, but no kids, then the risk for conflict would be much smaller because Aegon would be her heir anyways. Also, in the show the age difference is 16/17 years is pretty much typical for mother/child in Westeros.
    Last edited by Omega Alpha; 09-26-2022 at 09:55 AM.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Rhaenyra is similar to book and early GOT Cersei, and late series Daenerys. She wants to be queen out of vanity. Not because she has big ideas or wants to reform the system. She has consistently demonstrated that she only wants the title of monarch so she can do whatever she wants.

Sleeping with a Kingsguard and losing her virtue before she's married. This would normally get a Kingsguard gelded and sent to the Wall. Bedding the princess is treason. Criston should've been put to death. This should have disinherited Rhaenyra from the succession. But because Viserys believes it was his brother and not a Kingsguard, he overlooks it.

Blowing off her suitors and being rude in another lord's castle (Storm's End/Baratheon), while meeting lords from the Riverlands (whose liege lords are the Tully's). This wasn't just about finding a husband, but also a meet and greet to the major houses in Westeros. Rhaenyra needed to charm and win these lords support if she is going to ascend the throne. Being a woman already puts her at a disadvantage. The fact that Viserys made the lords at court swear oath to Rhaenyra against their will, was another strike against her. When Rhaenyra laughs and jests at Jerrel Bracken's mocking insults to Willem Blackwood; while Willem is making a serious marriage proposal to the princess. When the duel between the Bracken and Blackwood starts, Rhaenyra just walks away and doesn't try to stop the violence. It certainly didn't endear her to the lords of the Riverlands or lord Baratheon. There are many houses who hold grudges and feuds against one another. If the future monarch can't be bothered to quell the violence among just two. Why should any lord support her?

Getting married and having 3 bastard children is a colossal error. In the books, Laenor isn't black, but he does have that white/silver blonde hair. It's obvious to everyone in the Red Keep and at court who the father of Rhaenyra's children are. Once again, Rhaenrya doesn't care because her daddy is king. Rhaenyra likely figured once she is queen, she can legitimize all her sons and put an end to any issue. What should have happened was Rhaenyra should've been exiled, along with her 3 children and Ser Strong put to death. Once again, Viserys chose not to do anything about it.

Visery's motive for stubbornly not removing Rhaenyra as heir is out of guilt for killing her mother. Rhaenyra is the last thing the king has of his late wife, Aemma. He wants to honor the memory of his wife and ensure Rhaenyra has something worthy. But Rhaenyra hasn't been acting like a lady, let alone a princess for more than a decade.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 09-26-2022 at 09:36 AM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

From CBR's article on HOTD and my reaction: https://www.cbr.com/house-of-the-dragon-time-jumps-hbo/
    Put quite plainly, Harwin and Laena feel like wasted characters. Their relationships with Rhaenyra and Daemon are left to the viewers' imagination, and it's looking like fan-fiction writers are the only ones who will fill in the void the writers clumsily left open. For better or worse (much more on the "worse" side), these time jumps are instrumental in moving the plot forward -- but by skipping over principal character moments, House of the Dragon is skewing growth for the prize of wrapping up this story in only a season or two.
    1) GRRM's Fire & Blood, or every Targaryen set of years, isn't always filled with the most interesting historical events...like Queen Elizabeth's life or Charles or Harry...many royals' years were simply spent, you know, doing the married with children thing and attending royal functions. And Martin definitely wants to mirror our reality and so years go by where the maesters record little or even absolutely nothing, because little or nothing happened, because that's life. This show simply wasn't gonna have multiple seasons showing only the lead-up to the war.

2) I myself severely doubt this show wraps up the whole Dance, the whole series, in two seasons. It's not impossible that they might try it (with huge time jumps), but I just doubt it. The war lasts 3 years and has so many battles that I think (according to Fire & Blood) the Westerosi historians at the Citadel aren't even sure they know of all the battles that happened. So there's lot of room for interesting action and politicking. I feel like maybe this show gets 3 seasons at the very least (but wouldn't be surprised if 4 or 5 is squeezed out).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-26-2022 at 11:41 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    2) I myself severely doubt this show wraps up the whole Dance, the whole series, in two seasons. It's not impossible that they might try it (with huge time jumps), but I just doubt it. The war lasts 3 years and has so many battles that I think (according to Fire & Blood) the Westerosi historians at the Citadel aren't even sure they know of all the battles that happened. So there's lot of room for interesting action and politicking. I feel like maybe this show gets 3 seasons at the very least (but wouldn't be surprised if 4 or 5 is squeezed out).
    I give it three seasons. HBO is not going to risk burnout before they get to what they really want to do.

THE. COMING. OF. AEGON. THE. CONQUEROR.

That story is at least six to seven seasons.

Aegon will be played by Daniel Craig.

Visenya will be played by...haven't figured that one out yet.

Rhaenys will be played by Hayley Atwell
    Last edited by Anthony W; 09-26-2022 at 09:04 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I give it three seasons. HBO is not going to risk burnout before they get to what they really want to do.

THE. COMING. OF. AEGON. THE. CONQUEROR.

That story is at least six to seven seasons.

Aegon will be played by Daniel Craig.

Visenya will be played by...haven't figured that one out yet.

Rhaenys will be played by Hayley Atwell
    They made a pilot set in that time, IIRC, but wasn't picked up to series.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

When your parallel universe lives include you being both Lara Croft (2018) and Wonder Woman (2017). Being a baby making queen for and old king, just won't suit you.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    What the wha?! I can only imagine the awful talent behind that pilot to make that story boring.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

And I really hope they don't retry. I may not even watch it. Aegon, Rhaenys and Visenya are IMHO better left a lot to the imagination. Fire & Blood and cool fantasy art do them justice.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Incredible Member

I think another ep between this and last week would again have been the better move. We should have seen seen Rhaenara and Ser Roderick get invovled. And a bit more of Damon and his latest wife.

I'm not sure recasting the the princess and the queen was really necessary. Did they just want more experienced actresses? At least new Allicent really looks like her younger self.

No, they made a pilot set thousands of years earlier in the Age of Legends, with Naomi Watts. That wasn't picked up.

Great show so far I must say. I'm enjoying it immensely.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    The only character on this show that I like is Queen Allicent.
    Eh, my favorites have been Daemon's two wives, both of whom seemed to die in the same episode they were introduced / fleshed out. Both seemed like badasses, in their own way.

I wonder what happens with his latest wife's dragon now? It could be interesting if it chooses to establish a new bond with her dragon-less second daughter instead of just flying off...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

I wonder what happens with his latest wife's dragon now? It could be interesting if it chooses to establish a new bond with her dragon-less second daughter instead of just flying off...
    Presuming they follow Fire and Blood, right idea, wrong rider.