Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

The condensing is starting to annoy me. For the sake of serving the now overly predictable GoT wedding trope, they left out an emotional tourney. Ser Joffrey Lonmouth was killed (not right way) by Cole at a tourney (that was basically part of the wedding!). The tourney was a bit important in Fire & Blood. And doing another tourney this season was actually necessary....in reinforcing the social/political importance and constancy of tourneys.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-21-2022 at 07:49 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I would have liked a bit more fallout from the wedding fight. Did Criston Cole make up a story like, "he moved toward the princess with a knife"?

Looks like next week we get the big time jump, amd new actresses for Rhaenara and Alicent. Not sure that's a necessaey change but that's what they're doing.
    Its still Vague and any prediction is just a wild guess

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    The condensing is starting to annoy me. For the sake of serving the now overly predictable GoT wedding trope, they left out an emotional tourney. Ser Joffrey Lonmouth was killed (not right way) by Cole at a tourney (that was basically part of the wedding!). The tourney was a bit important in Fire & Blood. And doing another tourney this season was actually necessary....in reinforcing the social/political importance and constancy of tourneys.
    I think one of the reasons you like this show is you read the book and can bring the added dimensions that Martin gave the characters and story. But for some who haven't the weakness of the show are more present.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I think you can't watch this show with the same framing as GoT. Thrones was a pretty straightforward "good guys vs bad guys" story. So you had characters you could root for and they were likeable.

HotD is much more like a reality show lol Nobody's really a good person and it's a train wreck but entertaining to watch.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I think you can't watch this show with the same framing as GoT. Thrones was a pretty straightforward "good guys vs bad guys" story. So you had characters you could root for and they were likeable.

HotD is much more like a reality show lol Nobody's really a good person and it's a train wreck but entertaining to watch.
    Its more like in the real world, where people are neither good nor bad.

Astonishing Member

It's interesting with good character portrayal. Unlike the Ring show which is mind numbing bore.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    It's interesting with good character portrayal. Unlike the Ring show which is mind numbing bore.
    My reaction is the exact opposite. I find most eps of HoD a bore and the characters unlikable. I have enjoyed every ep of Ring so far.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Um no it's wasn't GOT was full of Gray area people.....

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I didn't say it wasn't. But it was also pretty clear the Starks were the "good guys," relatively speaking.
    Last edited by 80sbaby; 09-23-2022 at 06:42 AM.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

From the Histories and Lore series that were included in Game of Thrones DVD and Blu-Ray special features.

The Dance of the Dragons - From GOT season 5. Narrated by actors from the show.

Heavy spoilers

Last edited by Doctor Know; 09-23-2022 at 06:06 AM.

BANNED

I'd have to agree with Choptop. Yes, the Starks can be considered the "good guys". But Ned's rigidity about his honor and ignorance of
    diplomacy or court intrigue (the Game of Houses/Thrones) dooms his best friend, his family, his people, and almost the Realm. Robb's inability to do his own duty by the Freys did the same. I like Arya and Jon, but Jon gets less attention for bad decision-making somehow leading to him falling ass-backwards into good outcomes only because we have the queen of that in "Khaleesi" down south.

Joffrey and Ramsay are clearly irredeemable villains, but they're so damned good at it (and so much better than anything House of Dragons can conceive of) that it's OK in an otherwise gray realm. Necessary for perspective, even. I hated Cersei and Jaime to start, but they somehow redeem (and villainize, and redeem) Jaime and at the end I was honestly rooting for Cersei against the Sand Snakes and the Faith Militant and High Septon and the Tyrells.

Tyrion and Brienne are fan favorites, and for good reason, but they're both emotionally weak and it leads to their own mistakes and setbacks. Daenerys starts off weak all over, then gains strength without wisdom and ends up making bad choice after bad choice (though not as bad a choice as that heel turn at the end).

In short, everyone of the many deep characters are extremely complicated and had reasons both to root for and against them. House of Dragons, I don't care about literally any one of them. Clearly the narrative is telling me I should love Rhaenyra and hate Daemon (I think?), but I don't. If either or both died off (or anyone else on the show, for that matter) it wouldn't impact my enjoyment of it. Which is to say, it's good enough to pass an hour and hope for more. But that has f##k-all to do with the cardboard cut-outs they're passing off as "characters".

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    I'm enjoying the Rings show, but it is slow. It seems to be ramping up, and has a storyline I'm interesting in seeing come together (so it's got that on House of Dragons). Also has interesting characters (that's two it's got on HoD). But it definitely has flaws.

I was disappointed by Amazon's "Wheel of Time" adaptation (episodes 1,2 ,7, and 8 anyway, 3-6 were pretty great). But I have to say, these two fantasy shows have given me some perspective. Maybe I should go back and rewatch it.

This episode was all over the place and I don't like the new Rhaenyra.

All three of the kids are bastards. Yeah, Rhaenyra is too dumb to be ruler.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

This episode was all over the place and I don't like the new Rhaenyra.
    The new actor(s) annoyed me as well.

And wow, there was this plan to 'do our duty to the realm, and then, dine separately,' and instead it became 'I'll just have lots of kids with another man, you can have your boytoys, and to hell with our duty to the realm?' Yeesh. Different actress *and* kind of dumber than she was as a decade earlier...

That King's weakness is seriously annoying. He let Otto Hightower scheme all over the place, and kind of ignored it (and admitted that he knew about it), and didn't fire the dude until Rhaenyra more or less demanded it. He lets Rhaenyra get away with stuff that could throw the realm into chaos. And now he lets the Queen more or less step all over him. If she tried that crap with Daemon, she'd be a charcoal briquette in a green dress in the time it took him to say, 'dracarys.' And young Aegon seems like he should have been the one named Joffrey, 'cause while I'm not seeing anyone I'd want to be King in this lot, he's right there at the bottom, circling the drain.

Incredible Member

I’m done. I don’t care who becomes Queen/King. They can all die in a fire.

RoP has its flaws but at least I enjoy watching the characters interact in that world.