Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Despite various critiques, I have to congratulate Matt for fitting into to his character. From a rather, wimpy Dr. Who - it is totally different portrayal. Far cry from some actors who play the same role across different films and shows.

As far as the sexuality, that's a Middle Ages type royal world for you. The Hapsburgs and Spanish Royal family kept it in the family.

We need a time warp so Rhaenyra and Dany can both get on their dragons together and fry the males. Make them cry UNCLE!

I know it's not a contest. Let's face it, it is a contest and it's kind of obvious that this show has beaten Rings Of Power. Not only has it beaten Rings Of Power but it has beaten it for a lot less.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

How so? I prefer Rings by a wide margin. I am finding HoD boring for the most part.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I know it's not a contest. Let's face it, it is a contest and it's kind of obvious that this show has beaten Rings Of Power. Not only has it beaten Rings Of Power but it has beaten it for a lot less.
    Not for me. Not yet at least.

I think I find TROP to be more interesting thus far.

Could be because of the high fantasy elements.

Ya I'll cast another vote for rings being the better show by far.

Yeah, glad some of you are getting some enjoyment out of this. I wonder how Bezos feels having spent so much money (a BILLION DOLLARS!) to get stomped. It's the fourth episode and the ratings went up.

I think the reason it's doing so well it's that it knows where it's going and how it's going to end because the book it's based on is actually finished. The same can't be said for Rings which is just freelancing off an appendix. Plus the actual author is actually involved with the show.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Yeah, glad some of you are getting some enjoyment out of this. I wonder how Bezos feels having spent so much money (a BILLION DOLLARS!) to get stomped. It's the fourth episode and the ratings went up.

I think the reason it's doing so well it's that it knows where it's going and how it's going to end because the book it's based on is actually finished. The same can't be said for Rings which is just freelancing off an appendix. Plus the actual author is actually involved with the show.
    Aren't both shows doing pretty well though?

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Aren't both shows doing pretty well though?
    Rings is doing "pretty well" Hotd is a genuine hit.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    How so? I prefer Rings by a wide margin. I am finding HoD boring for the most part.
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat. While I am enjoying House of the Dragon, Rings of Power is definitely the better show in my eyes and it's only anecdotal so take of it what you will but it's the same with people I talk to.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Regardless of personal preferences, it's clear HotD is the show with far more buzz and attention. Most people talking about Rings of Power are Tolkien fanboys whining about changes and things the show got wrong.

Viewership is difficult with streaming. But I am seeing HoD with about 10 million viewers, and Rings with 25 million. So how is that not a hit?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Regardless of personal preferences, it's clear HotD is the show with far more buzz and attention. Most people talking about Rings of Power are Tolkien fanboys whining about changes and things the show got wrong.
    Depends where you are reading, I see a lot of complaints on line about HoD. Though I doubt any of that reflects the broader viewership.

Viewership is difficult with streaming. But I am seeing HoD with about 10 million viewers, and Rings with 25 million. So how is that not a hit?
    Where did you get these numbers from? I've only seen 10 million for HotD and around 2 million for RoP. At least the first episodes.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Where did you get these numbers from? I've only seen 10 million for HotD and around 2 million for RoP. At least the first episodes.
    There are a lot of different numbers floating around.

For the first episode RoP had 25 million viewers world wide verses HOtD 20 million.

Samba TV’s numbers, that gathered data only from Smart TVs that have a Samba TV chip installed RoP had 1.8 million viewers for it first 4 day verses HOtD had 4.8 million in the first four days. (This is the United States alone)

According to HBO Max, the HOtD premiere episode had 10 million views in the United States, I didn't find any figures from Amazon for US figures alone.

Ok, thanks for that!

I'm not surprised HotD seems to be doing better. It has a larger and more recent fandom. Had RoP come out in 2005 then the numbers would be different.