Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I like my Got with sex and violence. No excuses.

Well...I said it. :-)

The HoD and LotR comparison is inevitable, but we live in good times, that we can choose between our favorites, or even watch both.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Ok, so you got side pieces throwing down in a wedding, that's just super Ghetto. You also have Daemon murdering his wife in cold blood. Criston is a weak ass snitch, and Alicent is nosey AF. And the noble with the club foot is a grade A shit stirrer. Can't wait for all of this to blow up in everyone's face.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

There is nothing that I liked about this episode. Of the first five episodes, I feel compelled to rewatch two of them. No staying power here.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    There is nothing that I liked about this episode. Of the first five episodes, I feel compelled to rewatch two of them. No staying power here.
    You should because like I said, things are going to get nuts.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I disagree much. The characters are simply better in GoT and that's inevitably due to some combination of better acting and better writing. Obviously, GoT's great writing disappears somewhere in Season 6 or so for the most part.
    I think HoTD is pretty on par with the best of GoT season imo. And I LOVED the first few seasons of GoT.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I liked episode 5 a lot I'd say. A lot of well-executed dramatic moments. All the main characters got significant moments. Fabien Frankel's Ser Criston Cole is kinda emerging as my personal favorite character...I can't fully articulate why (knights and their relationship to their vows definitely is part of it), but I feel for the character, he feels especially tragic, this young simple soldier ill-prepared for this city (King's Landing) and its politics. Everything about Frankel's Cole feels accurate to the book Cole (except book Cole and his motivations are more mysterious (in such a cool way)).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-19-2022 at 08:10 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Incredible Member

I would have liked a bit more fallout from the wedding fight. Did Criston Cole make up a story like, "he moved toward the princess with a knife"?

Looks like next week we get the big time jump, amd new actresses for Rhaenara and Alicent. Not sure that's a necessaey change but that's what they're doing.

How does Daemon keep showing up in places like Batman? He just shows up in the Eyrie (That place everyone goes to murder their wives. Shout out to Littlefinger!) and no one knows he is there? That means he had to leave the Dragon at home. Did no one notice this hooded dude trespassing?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Green dresse?

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    How does Daemon keep showing up in places like Batman? He just shows up in the Eyrie (That place everyone goes to murder their wives. Shout out to Littlefinger!) and no one knows he is there? That means he had to leave the Dragon at home. Did no one notice this hooded dude trespassing?
    Just because his wife didn't know he was there, doesn't mean no one didn't
    Last edited by Omega Alpha; 09-20-2022 at 10:30 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    He probably flew in to the countryside at night.

Niffleheim

It's a smart framing device in pitting Rhaenara and Alicent's rights to the throne than having Daemon being the heir apparent. Still all the characters are unlikable.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Boring ass episode. What was the point of the killing at the party. To show Westeros is a total shit show and even a forced wedding, were both people are miserable, has to be more tragic!

If I remember, GOT had some levity and a few likable characters. This is just 100 % grim.

And is there a big time jump next week with new actors for the Queens?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Niffleheim

Exactly! we're dealing with lazy writers in this show. The only thing they accomplished is making me think about the Red Wedding and how the HOtD writers haven't made me like anybody on this show that I'd care if they were killed.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

And the "shocking" kills were two characters we knew for 5 minutes. I wish they had killed Criston, instead of just turning the only likable character into another dreadful person.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!