Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

I would say the show is doing a fair job of showcasing multiple reasons why Rhaenyra should not be queen.

It's lost in the sauce because Rhaenyra is the main character of the show and the audience is going to defer to the protagonist's side. Even when they’re a colossal screw up, like Rhaenyra.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 10-06-2022 at 05:58 PM.

I am getting more and more bored with each episode. It is all Court intrigue among characters I don't like. In GOT, not only were their people I could root for (though they often died) but the threat was global. This feels like the kingdom will go on the same way no matter who succeeds. Also, in GOT the incest was taboo and a they did their best to keep it from being a scandal. Here it is so out in the open, and it is cringe worthy. And just too much Dragon stuff, it should be special, but they are making it mundane. I'll stay through the next episode, but maybe not return for next season.
    I did like the little twist at the end though.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I am getting more and more bored with each episode. It is all Court intrigue among characters I don't like. In GOT, not only were their people I could root for (though they often died) but the threat was global. This feels like the kingdom will go on the same way no matter who succeeds. Also, in GOT the incest was taboo and a they did their best to keep it from being a scandal. Here it is so out in the open, and it is cringe worthy. And just too much Dragon stuff, it should be special, but they are making it mundane. I'll stay through the next episode, but maybe not return for next season.
    I did like the little twist at the end though.
    Heh...the Dragon stuff being mundane is part of the point-the Targaryens take them for granted now, while Dany nearly 200 years later knows they can be lost. Also, she was herself a product of incest, which was common place for her family.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Heh...the Dragon stuff being mundane is part of the point-the Targaryens take them for granted now, while Dany nearly 200 years later knows they can be lost. Also, she was herself a product of incest, which was common place for her family.
    Dragons being mundane for the audience makes a dull show. And whatever was "common place". It was still hidden from the outside. Here it was celebrated.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

So a week or so behind, watching with friends as a group both this and the Rings of Power (we thought it'd be more fun to watch both as a group, but we also thought one or both might be worth watching). So just saw last week's episode today, and while I hadn't commented on 6 either I'll say both have picked up things a bit. I did find a character I enjoyed, but then she immediately died in episode 6 during childbirth. Guess they didn't want the distraction of an intriguing character to take the focus off the rest? Haven't read the book yet (I'll wait until the first story is done, so probably never will), but think they lost an opportunity to have the dragon burn her and leave a screaming infant behind. Would have been a good scene.

The kids add an element, though they all seem like little s##ts in their own way (outside of the girl with the insect thing, curious about her which means she's probably going to die before the season's out). Even with the time jump not caring about any of the established characters still, still don't care who lives or dies or rules. Still wanting to see more of Westeros and the wider world, even if only in snippets.

Did like the twist at the end of episode 7, both gives one of the characters a happy out and gets rid of that character who was adding absolutely nothing to the story (only a few dozen more to go!). I would really like to see them open up the story to see the other houses, and their opinions on what's going on and which side to take in the inevitable battle. If for no other reason than seeing new characters, who might be more interesting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    I would say the show is doing a fair job of showcasing multiple reasons why Rhaenyra should not be queen.

It's lost in the sauce because Rhaenyra is the main character of the show and the audience is going to defer to the protagonist's side. Even when they’re a colossal screw up, like Rhaenyra.
    All she had to do was make sure the first kid was legit. That would have taken all the suspicion off of her. Just make sure her first kid was legit. Just the first one. That's it. She couldn't even do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101
    Also, in GOT the incest was taboo and a they did their best to keep it from being a scandal. Here it is so out in the open, and it is cringe worthy.
    There is a reason for that. The previous king got an exemption for the Targaryen's from the church. It's only taboo if you aren't from Valaryia. Which is why the Targaryens and the Velaryons get away with it and all the other houses can't.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 10-09-2022 at 07:58 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    All she had to do was make sure the first kid was legit. That would have taken all the suspicion off of her. Just make sure her first kid was legit. Just the first one. That's it. She couldn't even do that.
    Exactly. How stupid do you have to be to birth 3 children who don’t resemble their “legal” father? The queen knows, the Hand knows, the lords at court know, the knights and guards know. Rhaenyra’s plan was likely to legitimize her sons when she became queen. Ending the rumors and secrets. Terrible plan. The wink and nod protection she received from her father is the only reason she wasn’t exiled and disinherited.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Exactly. How stupid do you have to be to birth 3 children who don’t resemble their “legal” father? The queen knows, the Hand knows, the lords at court know, the knights and guards know. Rhaenyra’s plan was likely to legitimize her sons when she became queen. Ending the rumors and secrets. Terrible plan. The wink and nod protection she received from her father is the only reason she wasn’t exiled and disinherited.
    You know things are bad when Daemon who had a habit of appearing out of nowhere like some kind of homicidal Batman is looking like the best choice to be king.

1. He is a great strategist
    2. He is a great fighter
    3. He can fly a dragon
    4. He can magically appear anywhere without being detected
    5. He...murdered his first wife?!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

We can’t exactly blame the lack of bearing children with Laenor just on Rhynaera, though.

He’s gay. Maybe he couldn’t get it up. Maybe he’s a total bottom that can only get “excited” if there’s a you-know-what-shoved-you-know-where. Doubt they had turkey basters in King’s Landing. They tried to have kids. It failed. Sounds like a limp noodle problem to me.
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 10-09-2022 at 11:11 PM.

This episode was alright but it still feels like nothing is happening get on with it already.

All-New Member

Correct, and in real life it can happen as well.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    [In GoT incest] was still hidden from the outside. Here it was celebrated.
    This isn't correct. In GoT (and HOTD), the backstory was all the smallfolk long knew the Targaryens had practiced incest, they were accustomed to that (for more than 150 years). Targaryen royal incest marriages were public record and knowledge, and thus not hidden. What was hidden however was incest if you were not a Targaryen.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 10-10-2022 at 07:32 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

This show keeps getting more boring, while Rings of Power gets better with each episode.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    This show keeps getting more boring, while Rings of Power gets better with each episode.
    I'm a bit ashamed to confess but I stopped watching HoD.

As you said, it's quite boring.

TROP on the other hand just hit its stride in its last episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    TROP on the other hand just hit its stride in its last episodes.
    If it just hit its stride, what has that show been doing this entire time? TROP has sunk cost fallacy written all over it, but that's just my opinion.