Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

It was mildly entertaining. I have trouble with prequels as you know that all their striving is for naught at times. The misplayed end of Daenerys hangs over this show like a lead balloon. Same with the fate of the dragons.

I suppose real historical dramas affect me differently as I am interested in how those real world folks acted.

None of the actors so far are really compelling.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Chinese Democracy was perfectly fine imo lol. I think he knows how to end it, he's just distracted by things, and on top of that he keeps adding in more plot lines late into the game. I also suspect he'll probably alter the ending to the book, he sort kinda already hinted that he would.

HoTD had a good first episode, but it's mostly just set up. Of all the spinoff ideas this was a story I was least interested in, second only to Robert's Rebellion. I too would have liked a Age of Heroes story, or something set elsewhere outside Westeros, like Southeros.
    There are some good songs on that album but the wait for it wasn't justified and, the longer GRRM puts off doing a new book, a similar fate awaits him too.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    C'mon, you know you watched it. I know a lot of you are disgruntled, but did it earn back some trust?
    I've been waiting for the man to finish those books for most of my life now.

I lost interest a while ago.

I thought it was pretty good. It's just a first episode but I thought it opened up some interesting plot lines and captured my interest. It feels "smaller"/ less epic than GoT but I think we already knew that. Some interesting easter eggs like the dagger that Arya used to kill the Night King, after the same dagger had been used to try to assassinate her brother Bran. Pretty solid.

It was alright. I'll watch this season, but if I find myself bored at times, as I did this ep, I might not stay for the next.
    HBO is desperate for a GOT size hit, this won't be it.

One thing, when did the newborn die, I rewound a few times, he was alive after the birth, but then at the council after the funeral, he's dead?
    Last edited by Kirby101; 08-23-2022 at 08:14 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It was alright. I'll watch this season, but if I find myself bored at times, as I did this ep, I might not stay for the next.

One think, when did the newborn die, I rewound a few times, he was alive after the birth, but then at the council after the funeral, he's dead?
    I was wondering when the baby died too.

I was confused when later they were referencing the dead heir.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

And the King said he lost his wife and son at the council.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I thought this premiere episode wasn't bad. It was all set-up, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic Lore View Post
    No one really grabbed me, I'd say boring overall. Feels like failed casting, or maybe direction and writing. Game of thrones was great for a few seasons, but the staff at HBO just can't write anything compelling on their own. They really should just wait on the books and reshoot the end with new actors if GRRM ever finishes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    It wasn't bad, but was missing something still- we don't have a character that's very easily relatable or fun to watch, or at least someone to leave the odd joke here there, like Varys and Bronn.

It was the first episode, dudes. The entirety of season 1 of Game of Thrones wasn't exactly filled with excitement and compelling characters (Until we gradually got to know them). And the pilot episode of GoT was fairly pedestrian, so making a critique on House of the Dragon the way you guys are is a bit out there....And neither Bronn nor Varys even appeared in the show until at least the 3rd episode.

It was better done than I expected… almost I’d say than I thought it had any reasonable right to be

Game of Thrones cycled through a large section of well known British actors, so it’s interesting to see the ones who are used here. One of the most notable names is Paddy Considine, and I think both his performance and the writing of King Viserys deserve a bit of praise: a flawed, well-meaning ruler, restricted by the conventions and prejudices of his society, trying to balance his love for his family with his duty to the realm.

There were other nice touches: Alicent’s obvious uncertainty, the fingernail biting, her father’s horrible cynicism in asking her to wear her mother’s gown.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post

One thing, when did the newborn die, I rewound a few times, he was alive after the birth, but then at the council after the funeral, he's dead?
    I kind of figured something was wrong with the baby by the maester's look of concern and worry when looking down at the newborn after the birth. I've also kind of read the book Fire and Blood so I knew a little bit before hand.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    None of the actors so far are really compelling.
    Yeah, this. It's a first episode I know (tho GoT had a much better first ep). But nothing from any characters or actors has compelled me much yet. I think I was concerned about the casting before the premiere and have found, one episode in, that I still am.

All the set designs, accuracy, etc are all for naught if I don't start being really compelled by the characters/actors.

One review I just read is blunt, but perhaps not unfair (so far): "[HOTD] opts for a cruel, charmless and curiously underpowered approach"

I actually really loved Fire & Blood and was very compelled by that (books leave so much for our imagination to make even better), so I do compare this show to that some. GRRM's secret sauce in Fire & Blood is his writing and all the questions he leaves unanswered, all the Rashomon of perspectives that wonderfully muddies the waters of the Dance as far as the motivations and morality of its key players. (which is just like real history, something you cannot trust, something you can never really know with too much certainty (unless you witnessed it all with your own eyes))
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-24-2022 at 10:03 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

The maester had the baby in his arm, he looked worried and the baby made a noise like it was dying. I don't know if that gurgling noise was added in the German translation, or maybe you didnt hear it?

That is bad storytelling/direction, for such an important plot point to be unnoticed. Did no one in production think they should let the audience know the baby died? How about a small wrapped body next to the queen at the funeral?

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    The maester had the baby in his arm, he looked worried and the baby made a noise like it was dying. I don't know if that gurgling noise was added in the German translation, or maybe you didnt hear it?
    I also noticed the gurgling (English original) but it was odd that it jumped from that to "both the baby and the mother died". I guess they didn't want to 'show' a baby dying on screen or something? It was definitely confusing/ strange

The baby's body was on the funeral pyre, Also the the dialogue between Daemon and Rhaenyra said that the baby only lived a short time before Rhaenyra commanded the dragon to set the fire. I say that having a dragon but the fun in funeral.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting