Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

“Pearl clutching?” Fine. I’ll own it. I feel no shame in what I said.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Viserys wasn't sleeping with her. But the casting on the show made the relationship icky, or even more so- in the book, she's 18 and he's not even 30 yet, while the actor playing Viserys is nearly 50, and she's around 15 or 16.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    2nd Episode was pretty good. Was King Daddy sleeping with his daughter's girl friend and thus proposed? That's a bit of an age difference. In those Middle Ages level societies, it wasn't that unusual. Dr. Who is pretty good and really not detectable as his other work.

Blond young women on dragons, seem to be the thing. Hope Rhaenyra doesn't have a similar fate to Dany. Won't try to find out to spoil it.
    That was definitely the implied motive of the hand, yes. And yeah, Matt Smith really surprised me, I fully expected him to take me out of it but I thought he did the conniving uncle pretty well.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

I didn't mind the age differences, because it's not really that unusual considering the setting. I do wonder if Rhaenyra and Alicint had something going on on the down low?

Niffleheim

Poor Viserys he has the title of The Idiot King on Twitter it’s going to be frustrating watching him out-idiot his previous idiocy episode after episode.
    Last edited by Tofali; 08-29-2022 at 10:44 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

House of Dragon’s episode 2 viewership was up a couple percent from episode 1. I have no idea how to interpret that, except that HBO probably is happier with that than losing viewers.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/house-of-the-dragon-episode-2-ratings-viewers-1235352102

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's not so much pearl clutching as just pointing out that it looks like casual-sexism to comment negatively about an actress's looks.

As an aside on Rhaenyra, I looked up the actress and I was surprised to find that Milly Alcock was 22 years old as I definitely would have pegged her as younger on the show.
    For real what is it with people and looks the judgement is really silly even if she was ugly and she definitely isn't what's it have to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    To each their own. I think if you were to isolate her face, ignoring costuming/hairstyles, she wouldn't get a second look in line at most 7/11s, let alone sell a show on posters. But if you think she's beautiful, that's great. And again, isn't a major factor in the enjoyment of a show. But to me she is jarringly plain, and frankly a bit awkward looking. And again, if you told me they were trying to do a good thing in casting a homeless man as the King I'd say that's admirable, but they should have given him a shave and a shower first.
    What kinda 711s do you go to? Lol I don't think she's the most beautiful girl I've ever seen but plain? Come on man are you saying you'd turn her down?

Before this goes any further, I'll remind everyone this actress is made to look like a 15-16 year old. She's not in reality but you're not talking about her real life look.

I missed this news from a few days ago, but apparently HoD was officially renewed by HBO for Season 2.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/hou...ed-1235345810/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's not so much pearl clutching as just pointing out that it looks like casual-sexism to comment negatively about an actress's looks.

As an aside on Rhaenyra, I looked up the actress and I was surprised to find that Milly Alcock was 22 years old as I definitely would have pegged her as younger on the show.
    She's meant to look younger. And if I'd commented in a positive manner (as many here have) it wouldn't be seen as casual sexism. It's only when you express an opinion that disagrees with another poster that they resort to insults or projecting false motives.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    “Pearl clutching?” Fine. I’ll own it. I feel no shame in what I said.
    Nor do I.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    I didn't mind the age differences, because it's not really that unusual considering the setting. I do wonder if Rhaenyra and Alicint had something going on on the down low?
    I think it was helped by setting the curve with the 12 year old making the 15-16 year old seem reasonable by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    I missed this news from a few days ago, but apparently HoD was officially renewed by HBO for Season 2.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/hou...ed-1235345810/
    I'm sure they're hoping to get it for another 7-8 if they can. Even if it's just middling/good enough, it'll bring in streaming subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    She's meant to look younger. And if I'd commented in a positive manner (as many here have) it wouldn't be seen as casual sexism. It's only when you express an opinion that disagrees with another poster that they resort to insults or projecting false motives.

Nor do I.

I think it was helped by setting the curve with the 12 year old making the 15-16 year old seem reasonable by comparison.

I'm sure they're hoping to get it for another 7-8 if they can. Even if it's just middling/good enough, it'll bring in streaming subscribers.
    No, I'd be against overly sexualizing her too. Even if she's actually 22 in real life she's definitely made up and played to be much younger. It's been a while since I read the book so I can't remember how old she's supposed to be(though I think a fair bit younger than she is here) but with her dragon flight being akin to driving I'd pin her at around 16 and I'd rather not see a 16 year old character get plaid for the audience's titillation.
    And I'm not alone in that, a lot of fans really disliked how Deanery's was so prominently sexualized in Game of thrones.

And I say casual sexism as it didn't seem that you were trying to be malicious but rather that you simply weren't reflecting on how your opinion was coming across.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Before this goes any further, I'll remind everyone this actress is made to look like a 15-16 year old. She's not in reality but you're not talking about her real life look.
    She looks like she's in her 20s even if she was 15 or 16 no one has said anything out of order I don't see problem.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    She looks like she's in her 20s even if she was 15 or 16 no one has said anything out of order I don't see problem.
    On the show? Yeah, nah. She looks like she's a teen.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    On the show? Yeah, nah. She looks like she's a teen.
    Yeah, I was definitely surprised to see that the actress was 22.