Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    On the show? Yeah, nah. She looks like she's a teen.
    To me she looks 20 something she can pass for 18 or 19 tops.
    Last edited by choptop; 08-30-2022 at 06:02 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    To me she looks 20 something 18 or 19 tops.
    That literally makes zero sense. 20 something is greater than "18-19 tops"
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    No, I'd be against overly sexualizing her too. Even if she's actually 22 in real life she's definitely made up and played to be much younger. It's been a while since I read the book so I can't remember how old she's supposed to be(though I think a fair bit younger than she is here) but with her dragon flight being akin to driving I'd pin her at around 16 and I'd rather not see a 16 year old character get plaid for the audience's titillation.
    And I'm not alone in that, a lot of fans really disliked how Deanery's was so prominently sexualized in Game of thrones.

And I say casual sexism as it didn't seem that you were trying to be malicious but rather that you simply weren't reflecting on how your opinion was coming across.
    I find how my opinion "comes across" depends on how closely it fits the opinion or preferred narrative of the reader. I know my intent, and I stand by it. If someone chooses to disagree, and resorts to the common internet/human tactic of labeling me as something villainous/awful or projecting motivations on me that I don't have in order to dehumanize me and dismiss my opinion as inherently worthless and not worth engaging with then, while I won't be surprised (as I've said, it's pretty common on everything from political talk to what TV show you're enjoying) I also won't give it much weight.

I have far more respect for the "well, I think she's beautiful" crowd. It is, after all, a matter of taste. And, if it needs to be brought up (again), has zero impact on my enjoyment of the show. Which I'd currently put at around a solid C/C+. I have hopes this build-up is going somewhere. Still haven't found a character whose arc/story I care about, but I care enough about the lore to ignore that for now and hope somebody shows up or does something interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I find how my opinion "comes across" depends on how closely it fits the opinion or preferred narrative of the reader. I know my intent, and I stand by it. If someone chooses to disagree, and resorts to the common internet/human tactic of labeling me as something villainous/awful or projecting motivations on me that I don't have in order to dehumanize me and dismiss my opinion as inherently worthless and not worth engaging with then, while I won't be surprised (as I've said, it's pretty common on everything from political talk to what TV show you're enjoying) I also won't give it much weight.

I have far more respect for the "well, I think she's beautiful" crowd. It is, after all, a matter of taste. And, if it needs to be brought up (again), has zero impact on my enjoyment of the show. Which I'd currently put at around a solid C/C+. I have hopes this build-up is going somewhere. Still haven't found a character whose arc/story I care about, but I care enough about the lore to ignore that for now and hope somebody shows up or does something interesting.
    I just don't get doubling down on this.

"She's not pretty enough to be princess" is sexist, and it's not like this is something new as women have been talking about how their senses of body image and self worth have been negatively impacted by those kinds of comments for a while now.
    And while that kind of male gaze is certainly bad for women in general, it's especially true and toxic for female actors as it can cost them their livelihoods...and again it's not a secret, it's something all kinds of female actors have openly discussed for a while now. I can post all the interviews from actresses talking about how they had their roles reduced, or cut entirely by producers thinking they weren't "pretty" or "sexy" enough, or how they had to fight to wear less revealing clothing, or how they were forced to lose unhealthy amounts of weight to keep a role if you like, but I was pretty sure it was common knowledge.

And as I said, I specifically called it "casual" because I didn't think you had any nefarious motives but was bringing it up as an educational piece for you to reflect on as you seemed to not know that you were putting forward a sexist point of view...it's literally right there in the post you quoted. I can see having a poor reaction to the initial post...but when it's explained point blank? I don't get it.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 08-30-2022 at 01:17 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post

No one is projecting anything on you when you say you don’t find someone playing a young teen as being attractive enough.

You are projecting things to the world about you and your tastes that no one has to read anything into at all. You put that out there, not us.

Who cares if the actress is pretty or not? She’s a great actress and, up to this point, arguably one of the most interesting characters. The way she looked at Alicent when she realized her friend (and perhaps something more than just friend?) is going to become her stepmom… yikes!

I thought ep. 2 was OK but not spectacular, opened some interesting storylines and I am keen to see where this is going.

One thing that I’ve noticed - and maybe this is just me, keen to hear what others think - is that the CGI in these two first episodes has looked a bit hit or miss versus the original series. In this episode, in particular some shots of King’s Landing and one of the dragons at Dragonstone looked a bit cheap/ fake?

I like it that we’re getting to know the characters a bit better and I don’t mind at all what can be perceived as a slow burn.
    Last edited by hyped78; 08-30-2022 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    Who cares if the actress is pretty or not? She’s a great actress and, up to this point, arguably one of the most interesting characters. The way she looked at Alicent when she realized her friend (and perhaps something more than just friend?) is going to become her stepmom… yikes!

I thought ep. 2 was OK but not spectacular, opened some interesting storylines and I am keen to see where this is going.

One thing that I’ve noticed - and maybe this is just me, keen to hear what others think - is that the CGI in these two first episodes has looked a bit hit or miss versus the original series. In this episode, in particular some shots of King’s Landing and one of the dragons at Dragonstone looked a bit cheap/ fake?

I like it that we’re getting to know the characters a bit better and I don’t mind at all what can be perceived as a slow burn.
    I definitely picked up on the ch issues, strangely I found it looked a little flatter/unreal in the more far away shots rather than the up close looks which is odd as its usually the other way around.

That literally makes zero sense. 20 something is greater than "18-19 tops"
    Is it?!? is 2 more than 1? Me not understanding numbers anyway I updated my original post.

I'm saying if she looks like a teenager it's 18 or 19 tops but to me she looks 20s hopefully that literally makes sense woot woot woot.
    Last edited by choptop; 08-30-2022 at 08:23 PM.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Could we all move on from this nitpick please lol. This is getting ridiculous.

I definitely picked up on the ch issues, strangely I found it looked a little flatter/unreal in the more far away shots rather than the up close looks which is odd as its usually the other way around.
    Ah! I thought perhaps I was just being too critical or whatever but you've also noticed it - and I totally agree on the far away shots vs. closer shots. I don't know, it's just strange because we're used to top notch CGI on GoT and some of the shots were getting in HotD look... fake. Doesn't detract from the rest of the series but I'm just surprised this is the case.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

To be honest, a big reason I'm watching HOTD is that little else worth watching (as far as TV) is on at the moment. So much I don't care for. It's HOTD and Cobra Kai and Succession, and little else interests me much.

HOTD so far is a kinda boring version of Fire & Blood (and GoT), but I love Martin's mythos (the Houses, the history, the key figures in history) and, like I said, little else worth watching is on right now.

Also, I mentioned this (perhaps off base) idea to a friend...maybe GoT used up all or most of the big UK actors that have presence, acting skill, etc.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-31-2022 at 08:29 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    To be honest, a big reason I'm watching HOTD is that little else worth watching (as far as TV) is on at the moment. So much I don't care for. It's HOTD and Cobra Kai and Succession, and little else interests me much.

HOTD so far is a kinda boring version of Fire & Blood, but I love Martin's mythos (the Houses, the history, the key figures in history) and, like I said, little else worth watching is on right now.
    I watched the premiere of Lord of the Rings - The Rings of Power yesterday and as you like fantasy settings, I think that's definitely worth watching (will start on Friday on Prime Video)

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    Ah! I thought perhaps I was just being too critical or whatever but you've also noticed it - and I totally agree on the far away shots vs. closer shots. I don't know, it's just strange because we're used to top notch CGI on GoT and some of the shots were getting in HotD look... fake. Doesn't detract from the rest of the series but I'm just surprised this is the case.
    I don't know if I'd say the CGI In GOT was top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I don't know if I'd say the CGI In GOT was top notch.
    You might be right, I would need to go back and re-watch GoT. But I don't think I had the same reactions then that I've had with these two new episodes at certain points

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Also, I mentioned this (perhaps off base) idea to a friend...maybe GoT used up all or most of the big UK actors that have presence, acting skill, etc.
    Ha! That’s a bit harsh on Paddy Considine. If you ever have the opportunity you might be interested in the film Dead Man’s Shoes. And certainly some of the other performers are well known/respected, although some of them have barely had an opportunity. Bill Paterson, for example, has had almost nothing to do so far.

I don’t think it’s the acting that’s the problem so much at the moment. It’s more that it seems… fairly confined, if that makes sense. From the first episode Game of Thrones was a big story, but so far this has mostly been concentrated on the Red Keep without too much sense of the broader world. That might change in the next episode.

While I liked the writing in the first episode, it grated with me this episode. The amount of times they said “mine own” - “mine own daughter”… it’s the kind of daft pseudo archaic language that is used too frequently in high fantasy. GRRM does it as well tbf - I remember Darkstar stating that his own ludicrous soubriquet is “mine own” - but it stuck out to me here.