Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    To be honest, a big reason I'm watching HOTD is that little else worth watching (as far as TV) is on at the moment. So much I don't care for. It's HOTD and Cobra Kai and Succession, and little else interests me much.

HOTD so far is a kinda boring version of Fire & Blood (and GoT), but I love Martin's mythos (the Houses, the history, the key figures in history) and, like I said, little else worth watching is on right now.

Also, I mentioned this (perhaps off base) idea to a friend...maybe GoT used up all or most of the big UK actors that have presence, acting skill, etc.

GOT had a fine list of British actors in its cast, but, no, there are plenty of British actors that haven't been used for the show yet. Most are likely too big to be on the show, like Fassbender, Cumberbatch, Tom Hardy, James McAvoy, and Martin Freeman. All those names have far more presence and acting skill than the likes of Richard Madden, Kit Harrington, and Sophie Turner, lol

There's also Judi Dench, Helen Mirren, Daniel Craig, Ralph Fiennes (and anyone else from HP which hasn't been on GoT), etc....But I doubt HBO would be able to cast any of them, either.

A British actor they could cast is Richard Armitage. Same with Cillian Murphy. I'm sure there are others I could come up with. Hell, since that madman Zaslav canceled Raised By Wolves, some of the British cast on that show would be fine additions. Niamh Algar, Abubakar Salim, Cosmo Jarvis, and even Travis Fimmel.

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    You might be right, I would need to go back and re-watch GoT. But I don't think I had the same reactions then that I've had with these two new episodes at certain points
    The cgi wasn't terrible I just wouldn't call it perfect.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    GOT had a fine list of British actors in its cast, but, no, there are plenty of British actors that haven't been used for the show yet. Most are likely too big to be on the show
    Maybe you're correct, but your response could also be read to partially support my point. But I was thinking as I was conversing with this friend, GoT used: Ciarán Hinds, Charles Dance, David Bradley, Sean Bean, Julian Glover, Ian McShane, Aidan Gillen, Natalie Dormer, Carice van Houten, Stephen Dillane, James Cosmo, Peter Vaughan, Dominic Carter, Owen Teale, Donald Sumpter, etc, etc, etc....so many big or also smaller-but-familiar UK character actors were used! Harpersbazaar.com: "Game of Thrones employs some of the most recognizable faces on the British drama scene."

Think about it, if before GoT, you watched a lot of Shakespeare adaptations, films/shows about ancient Rome, medieval shows/films, Victorian era shows/films, Edwardian era shows, etc (Doctor Who even!)....you probably saw so very many of the actors on GoT.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-01-2022 at 11:58 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Elizabeth Olsen is supposed to be in talks for Season Two.

An hour after the show airs and no comments. I guess there isn't the level of enthusiasm for this show as GOT. Or most big shows for that matter.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    An hour after the show airs and no comments. I guess there isn't the level of enthusiasm for this show as GOT. Or most big shows for that matter.
    Nothing much too be enthusiastic for yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Nothing much too be enthusiastic for yet.
    Sure there is did you see episode 2?

I mean it usely takes a day or so for people to post it doesn't mean people don't have enthusiasm for it you saw the numbers the show did people are watching.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Sure there is did you see episode 2?
    You Mean episode 3??
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Au contraire, Kirby101.

Episode 3 is what truly cements House of the Dragon as superior to season 1 of Game of Thrones (And also season 8, but that's a given). The characterization of Rhaenyra Targaryen & Ser Criston Cole....The sheer ferocity and self-sacrifice of "The Rogue Prince" Daemon Targaryen....The emergence of Laenor Velaryon, in both his astonishing tactical prowess at such a young age, and his skills as a dragonrider in the ensuing battle.......The introduction of Jason Lannister.........And further political machinations going afoot. This, my friends, is enthralling, and I expect it to get even better as the season goes on. Truly a worthy prequel to Game of Thrones (The great show that once was, until Benioff & Weiss farted season 8 out of their collective arse).

For the life of me, I can't fathom how anyone thinks season 1 of GoT was better than this. I started Game of Thrones with season 3. When I finished said season and went on to watch season 1, my immediate thought was if I had started the series from season 1, when it first came out, I likely wouldn't have continued. I even question whether I would have finished the season. The tone of the series changed (for the better) after the execution of Eddard Stark. Before that, it was dull, and the show hadn't found its footing yet, what with the cheesy dramatic make-up applied to actors during sinister scenes, like when Grenn & co attacked Jon Snow. I have to assume the majority of people who loved season 1, from the get-go, were people who had read the novels.....I didn't enjoy season 1 until season 6 or 7, when I did a re-watch and appreciated the season more due to knowing who all the lesser-known (ie, limited screentime) characters were.

Of course, HoD has the advantage of far higher production value than season 1 of GoT, so in some ways it's an awkward comparison.
    Last edited by Ramsay Snow; 09-05-2022 at 12:48 AM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I thought episode three was another solid episode, though I wish we had seen more about the Sea Snake's family.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Au contraire, Kirby101.

Episode 3 is what truly cements House of the Dragon as superior to season 1 of Game of Thrones (And also season 8, but that's a given). The characterization of Rhaenyra Targaryen & Ser Criston Cole....The sheer ferocity and self-sacrifice of "The Rogue Prince" Daemon Targaryen....The emergence of Laenor Velaryon, in both his astonishing tactical prowess at such a young age, and his skills as a dragonrider in the ensuing battle.......The introduction of Jason Lannister.........And further political machinations going afoot. This, my friends, is enthralling, and I expect it to get even better as the season goes on. Truly a worthy prequel to Game of Thrones (The great show that once was, until Benioff & Weiss farted season 8 out of their collective arse).

For the life of me, I can't fathom how anyone thinks season 1 of GoT was better than this. I started Game of Thrones with season 3. When I finished said season and went on to watch season 1, my immediate thought was if I had started the series from season 1, when it first came out, I likely wouldn't have continued. I even question whether I would have finished the season. The tone of the series changed (for the better) after the execution of Eddard Stark. Before that, it was dull, and the show hadn't found its footing yet, what with the cheesy dramatic make-up applied to actors during sinister scenes, like when Grenn & co attacked Jon Snow. I have to assume the majority of people who loved season 1, from the get-go, were people who had read the novels.....I didn't enjoy season 1 until season 6 or 7, when I did a re-watch and appreciated the season more due to knowing who all the lesser-known (ie, limited screentime) characters were.

Of course, HoD has the advantage of far higher production value than season 1 of GoT, so in some ways it's an awkward comparison.
    YMMV. I would say my comment also reflects my lack of enthusiasm for this show as well. As to what is bolded. No, that is not true. GOT was a completely new universe that unfolded in season 1. I recall that those who had not read the novels where more enthusiastic about it as we learned about Westeros. And of course that last episode just blew everyone away.
    I think what has me less enamored of this show, despite the excellent acting and superior production, is it feels very been there, done that. That everyone watching is wondering what main character dies this season illustrates part of the problem.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Oh, I did see episode 3, and it was the worst yet. The big action scene was even more empty spectacle than the worst moments of GoT, and with Daemon surviving all of it (100 guys shooting at him and no one hits at first, second, third, until the end, etc? Everyone attacks him alone) is just an attempt to make him badass, that ends up backfiring from being just too much, like a John Wick parody. The Crab King literally doesn't say a word, and could be replaced by a paper bag that wouldn't change the story.

Meanwhile, the big time jumps make hard to connect to the story and the characters, and make the dialogue of most characters all about recapping the last two years, or setting up future conflicts.

And come on, when Viserys asked the Lannister guy if he had any dragons, the obvious response would be gold ones. What a wasted opportunity in an already humorless show.

YMMV. I would say my comment also reflects my lack of enthusiasm for this show as well. As to what is bolded. No, that is not true. GOT was a completely new universe that unfolded in season 1. I recall that those who had not read the novels where more enthusiastic about it as we learned about Westeros. And of course that last episode just blew everyone away.
    I think what has me less enamored of this show, despite the excellent acting and superior production, is it feels very been there, done that. That everyone watching is wondering what main character dies this season illustrates part of the problem.
    Exactly. In fact, it was CLEARLY the other way around- the show led people to read the book A LOT more than the alternative. And of course, ASOIAF was popular, but was not Harry Potter.

And of course, if you started with s03 of GoT, you watched in the worst possible way- what made it work was that you started with a relatively narrow world (focused just on the Starks, some with Dany or Tyrion) and expanded it massively over time, and you didn't know what could happen. Meanwhile, you did the opposite journey. Kind of like you start watching Psycho after Norman Bates already killed Janet Leigh.
    Last edited by Omega Alpha; 09-05-2022 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    You Mean episode 3??
    No episode 2 if you saw episode 2 you definitely want to see episode 3.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

A strong episode, I think my favorite so far. Criston Cole may be the most perfectly accurately cast. Daemon is great, kudos to Matt Smith who I was unsure about.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”