Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

So they fought for 3 years and it took that long to figure out how to get the Crabfeeders out of the caves? What was their strategy before? Doing the same thing over and over?
    And the Crabfeeder leader couldn't see it was an obvious trap? I hate when I can out think military commanders on screen.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So they fought for 3 years and it took that long to figure out how to get the Crabfeeders out of the caves? What was their strategy before? Doing the same thing over and over?
    And the Crabfeeder leader couldn't see it was an obvious trap? I hate when I can out think military commanders on screen.
    Why couldn't they just melt the entrances to the caves closed with the dragons? Dragonfire melts stone.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Why couldn't they just melt the entrances to the caves closed with the dragons? Dragonfire melts stone.
    Exactly, it isn't great when the audience can figure out better strategy than the generals on screen.
    This isn't the only show or movie that has this flaw. It is common.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

So why did they kill the Crabfeeder off so soon?

the Crabfeeders the Crabfeeder leader
    The Crabfeeder leader was just called the Crabfeeder the people or army he was a leader of was called the Triarchy or alliance
    Of Free Cities not the Crabfeeders just FYI.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

From what I gather her was a tactical genius of some kind. We just never get to see it.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    From what I gather her was a tactical genius of some kind. We just never get to see it.

Not melting the caves down with dragonfire is still a bit of a blip in the scheme of things, but I'll let it pass.....It could be argued they had a massive tunneling system, so they'd have to melt down the entire island to truly have an effect. Things which could've been briefly explained mid-story, but they didn't bother.

YMMV. I would say my comment also reflects my lack of enthusiasm for this show as well. As to what is bolded. No, that is not true. GOT was a completely new universe that unfolded in season 1. I recall that those who had not read the novels where more enthusiastic about it as we learned about Westeros. And of course that last episode just blew everyone away.
    I think what has me less enamored of this show, despite the excellent acting and superior production, is it feels very been there, done that. That everyone watching is wondering what main character dies this season illustrates part of the problem.

That's honestly surprising. I figured non-readers got into the show after the second or third season, once the show got established and had some hype behind it......Any non-readers I've known (in real life) got into it late, like me. Quite a few started watching the show well past the era of season 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    And of course, if you started with s03 of GoT, you watched in the worst possible way- what made it work was that you started with a relatively narrow world (focused just on the Starks, some with Dany or Tyrion) and expanded it massively over time, and you didn't know what could happen. Meanwhile, you did the opposite journey. Kind of like you start watching Psycho after Norman Bates already killed Janet Leigh.

It certainly would've been a different experience if I had started with season 1, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have bothered finishing the season if subsequent seasons hadn't been made yet. I would've thought, "This is all there is?," and ended it there. Of course, there's a possibility I would've given it another chance a few years later.

I will say this. Any time I've recommended GoT to new viewers, I always tell them the first season's boring but they need to watch it to get to the far better subsequent seasons. Anyone I've said this to agreed with me.....And I've known people who tried GoT out blindly, didn't like it, but they liked Vikings. Some of the Vikings fans who didn't like GoT may just not have the intellect or attention span to tolerate GoT and prefer a more action-oriented series like Vikings, but I'm pretty sure some of them would have liked GoT if they had gone past season 1. It's all speculation, of course.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    That's honestly surprising. I figured non-readers got into the show after the second or third season, once the show got established and had some hype behind it......Any non-readers I've known (in real life) got into it late, like me. Quite a few started watching the show well past the era of season 3.

It certainly would've been a different experience if I had started with season 1, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have bothered finishing the season if subsequent seasons hadn't been made yet. I would've thought, "This is all there is?," and ended it there. Of course, there's a possibility I would've given it another chance a few years later.

I will say this. Any time I've recommended GoT to new viewers, I always tell them the first season's boring but they need to watch it to get to the far better subsequent seasons. Anyone I've said this to agreed with me.....And I've known people who tried GoT out blindly, didn't like it, but they liked Vikings. Some of the Vikings fans who didn't like GoT may just not have the intellect or attention span to tolerate GoT and prefer a more action-oriented series like Vikings, but I'm pretty sure some of them would have liked GoT if they had gone past season 1. It's all speculation, of course.
    Tbh I don't think it makes someone smarter or more focused to watch a boring show for a year- until it gets better. Might as well watch the show that's good at the start that's a better use of time. I would agree that Vikings was def the better show.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I've been re-reading Fire & Blood (which I love to death) and it struck me that the show's Aemma birth/death scene seemed reminiscent (from the book) of Queen Alyssa Targaryen's death-in-birth scene: "Maester Kyrie told the king and Rogar [Baratheon]* that he could save the child [Jocelyn], though Alyssa would surely die. Lord Rogar reluctantly begged the maester to save his child."

*Rogar Baratheon is definitely one of the most interesting Hand of the Kings in Westeros history, one of the most interesting in Baratheons in Baratheon history
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-06-2022 at 08:03 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I was thinking the same, it was a bit too forced. I also thought the battle action scenes lacked excitement.

I’m still enjoying the series. But, I agree with everyone that the battle scene and the idea that in 3 years with Daemon’s complete control of the air that they couldn’t defeat, or just plain bury the crabfeeder’s army in the caves was ridiculous.

A minor point but I also thought the stags (CGI) looked a bit fake

Astonishing Member

With complete control of the air, one might interrupt enemy logistics and supply. That's what works pretty well in our wars.

I like the show and still surprise how that wimpy Dr. Who became such a stud. Well done, Matt.

Like how Daddy King has a pot belly and needs instructions on how to kill a tied up animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    With complete control of the air, one might interrupt enemy logistics and supply. That's what works pretty well in our wars.

I like the show and still surprise how that wimpy Dr. Who became such a stud. Well done, Matt.

Like how Daddy King has a pot belly and needs instructions on how to kill a tied up animal.
    With complete air control, Daemon could have patrolled the air, keeping the crabfeeder’s army in their caves. A small force then could have come up and just started shoveling dirt into the cave holes, thus burying alive the crabfeeder’s army.