Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This reminds me so much of the Dark Phoenix wrap-up drama between EIC Jim Shooter vs. Claremont, only with the exact opposite moral calculation about the ex-hero.
    The broccoli people got more justice than any human in this story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Criticalfan View Post
    This reminds me so much of the Dark Phoenix wrap-up drama between EIC Jim Shooter vs. Claremont, only with the exact opposite moral calculation about the ex-hero.
    The broccoli people got more justice than any human in this story.
    No, no, Duggan did have the ghost of retail manager past show up to complain about the fact Nature Girl killed him….and act as a strawman for fan complaints about the arc.

So, with this, how much do we bet Doug’s reasoning of this being the earth’s will quit ago was him desperately covering his own ass while sweating bullets over how him trying to be Krakoa’s government instead of the QC keeps on leading to some of the worst possible outcomes. Frigging autocrats every time

Realistically even if she wasn't completely in-control of her actions, Nature Girl would probably be emotionally wrecked by all the people she ended up killing because of this.

I didn't hate X-men green at all. All the complaints about it outside of Nature Girl's change was laughable to me.

"Oh it's sending the wrong message, they are being mean to poor men trying to earn a living" Give me a break

I don't like the walk back of Nature girl because it's not like she was being used anyway this change could have mad her a poison ivy of the X-men since Black Tom Cassidy has already done a face turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    I didn't hate X-men green at all. All the complaints about it outside of Nature Girl's change was laughable to me.

"Oh it's sending the wrong message, they are being mean to poor men trying to earn a living" Give me a break

I don't like the walk back of Nature girl because it's not like she was being used anyway this change could have mad her a poison ivy of the X-men since Black Tom Cassidy has already done a face turn.
    I mean, if you were reading it as an outright parody or comedy comic, I think it's easier to digest .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, if you were reading it as an outright parody or comedy comic, I think it's easier to digest .
    I don't see the parody. a Mutant who is greatly connected to animals and earth finally snaps at the people who are causing the pain and people think that's a parody?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Realistically even if she wasn't completely in-control of her actions, Nature Girl would probably be emotionally wrecked by all the people she ended up killing because of this.
    Or get the taste of raw and cooked human flesh out of her mouth

Mighty Member

The parody is that she does things outright generally more destructive to the environment.

Making her bootleg Ivy doesn't work when all the shit she does is just damaging to the ecosystem.

Ivy at least has the sense to not do things that'd turn what she's trying to protect into scorched earth

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

booty. meat. that was the best summary for this whole story.

and with this post ohsnapulon5000 is back on the boards baby!

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    The parody is that she does things outright generally more destructive to the environment.

Making her bootleg Ivy doesn't work when all the shit she does is just damaging to the ecosystem.

Ivy at least has the sense to not do things that'd turn what she's trying to protect into scorched earth
    scorched earth a bit dramatic she killed humans who they themselves were damaging the eco system. If she continued to an end goal of killing everyone harming the eco system the ecosystem would be saved

If the opposite continued meaning the humans kept doing what they were doing the ecosystem would keep being harmed

that's the logic she is operating on

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    booty. meat. that was the best summary for this whole story.

and with this post ohsnapulon5000 is back on the boards baby!
    What uuuuup, welcome back. Just in time for X-Terminators next month.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

I worked in a gas station for half a year to help get through college. According to the logic of this story I should be dead because of that. Guess what, I support enviorimental causes, but I’m not going to be lectured by some story that puts the blame of environmental damage on middle class and lower class workers instead of the corporations and fat rich executives whose fault it actually is. Screw this story’s ‘message’

As others have pointed out, Poison Ivy is more nuanced than Nature Girl. This was never going to work because guess what, the majority of people who have read this story not only didn’t like it but considered it a joke. It took about a year to qualify for a Linkara review.

Her trying to blow up that oil refinery comes across as a parody of actual enviorimentalists trying to change things. She’s the right wing caricature of the Sierra club. The story becomes even stupider if you try to frame it in terms of actual enviorimental issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    I worked in a gas station for half a year to help get through college. According to the logic of this story I should be dead because of that. Guess what, I support enviorimental causes, but I’m not going to be lectured by some story that puts the blame of environmental damage on middle class and lower class workers instead of the corporations and fat rich executives whose fault it actually is. Screw this story’s ‘message’
    That's exactly my point you guys are the ones who think you are being lectured and thinking this is some how some deeper meaning of environmentalist around the world should kill everyone. Instead of following the story of Nature girl reaching a breaking point and lashing out

As others have pointed out, Poison Ivy is more nuanced than Nature Girl. This was never going to work because guess what, the majority of people who have read this story not only didn’t like it but considered it a joke. It took about a year to qualify for a Linkara review.
    Sure let's compare one of the most used DC Bat villains and compare her to a D list character who's appearances in books can be counted on like 2 hands and say who has more characterization that makes sense.

Her trying to blow up that oil refinery comes across as a parody of actual enviorimentalists trying to change things. She’s the right wing caricature of the Sierra club. The story becomes even stupider if you try to frame it in terms of actual enviorimental issues.
    It really isn't a parody. Oil refinery is bad for the earth and kills many animals so she wanted to destroy them.

It is a very immediate a quick solution to her friends (the animals dying) It's very sound logic wise but very morale grey

Astonishing Member

That's exactly my point you guys are the ones who think you are being lectured and thinking this is some how some deeper meaning of environmentalist around the world should kill everyone. Instead of following the story of Nature girl reaching a breaking point and lashing out

Sure let's compare one of the most used DC Bat villains and compare her to a D list character who's appearances in books can be counted on like 2 hands and say who has more characterization that makes sense.

It really isn't a parody. Oil refinery is bad for the earth and kills many animals so she wanted to destroy them.

It is a very immediate a quick solution to her friends (the animals dying) It's very sound logic wise but very morale grey
    A) if this story wants to make it clear that this a person breaking, I really doubt every single victim of hers would be characterized as a one-note character designed to make you not like them so you don’t feel guilty when she stabs them in the neck with scissors. Or that the hallucination of her first victim showing up would be spouting strawman fan complaints so she doesn’t need to feel guilty about it.
    B) You said they were trying to make her into their own version of Poison Ivy. Guess what, I feel pretty justified comparing her to the character you said they are trying to make their own version of.
    C). I don’t think you realize how badly an exploding oil refinery is actually going to damage their envioriment, especially when there are other methods to disable an oil refinery, often permanently, without causing that much environmental damage. Thank fuck she didn’t try it with one in the ocean or she would have made BP look like some accidentally dumping a gallon in the gulf
    D) the Book literally tries to give her the moral high ground at the end via Doug. The only indication she may not have been ms Angel is the suggestion she was maybe a bit too extreme that time.
    E) this book is inherently hilarious. She kills people with her antlers. She has a sociopathic sidekick running around providing commentary like a more deranged version of Mr. Mxysptlik. Her secondary mutation is self-produced greasepaint and having her roots taken out. Sauron and Black Mamba hypnotize each other into wanting to have sex right then and there. You thought this is something people are going to take seriously when they read it?
    F) For someone who wants to save all the animals she sure likes sacrificing them to the human buzzsaw that is Wolverine

Sigh this comic has in so many ways been a letdown.

Are we suppose to feel anything other then relief that Curse isn't occuping more page space? Because caring for her after this shit carousell requires much more then a quick 180 remorse shift. It just reads mechanical. We had this many panels to make it happen so we did. Just to try to engineer a reset button out of it. It never feels like someone actually cares about Curse. Be it reader or creator. Witch is kind of sad.

Lin is just a mess of a character and it's never about that a character got from point A to point B but how they got there. Witch is why all of these attempts to cast her in a new role have failed so miserably.

For me the names attached to this project will forever be tainted because of it. The same way we all remember the really good stories. Some comics I have picked up just because the name. I am sure I will do the opposite in the future because of the same reason.