Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Jonlocke lol
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Yeah that's definitely been the energy for a while, felt it as well during that X-Men Monday milestone interview.
    Thirding. Oof.

I tend to enjoy AU stuff a lot because the writers can go pretty bonkers because it doesn't "count" so to speak. I'll be picking these up. I was going to pass on Dark Web but now that a few of you are mentioning it's a follow up to Hellions I might have to change my mind on that. Hellions was amazing!

Side note, I've decided over the years that Wolverine type characters should be maxed out at 3 claws per hand. Ultimate Sabretooth had 4 claws and it looked okay, probably because Kubert(s) makes everything look good, but the 5 claws on Romulus looked like it was designed by a 3rd grader and the 4 claws on Wagnerine looks like it was added at the last second as an afterthought. Logan's look cool, Laura's look cool, Daken's look cool and Gabby's look cool even the Native looked better than this stuff. Rule of 3 when it comes to claws!
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Spectacular Member

I'm a little disappointed that Cardinal and Rasputin are not making theur proper debut.

Astonishing Member

Its kinda funny, considering how popular Rasputin and Cardinal are with fans - no shade to those who like those two, but tbh they weren't the ones that grabbed me from PoX and I was way more interested in learning more about Percival and Cylobel.

The latter's history and backstory sounded particularly interesting and while we knew next to nothing about Percival, the hints dropped about his power to hide people from technology had me curious about his origins....it reminded me of the Outback era, where the X-Men were all hidden from any kind of technological detection thanks to something Roma did....and Roma of course is based in Otherworld, and the daughter of Merlin, tied to all kinds of Arthurian lore. With Percival, of course, being the name of a knight of the Round Table. Always made me wonder if Percival might have been a mutant from Otherworld, since we know they do exist, and Hickman clearly had some interest in establishing that concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    X-Terminators: Another tie to whatever vampire-lead event Marvel will start soon
    Yay!

X-Men Unlimited: Green War
    Nay!

Legion of X: The Resurrection of Hellion
    May we all be so lucky

ohk now I think I care about this event. Simply because it's her Event. The president of krakoa has arrived. By artgem

IMG_20221115_093244.jpg
    Ororo Munroe is Twilight Sparkle in xmen red if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Its kinda funny, considering how popular Rasputin and Cardinal are with fans - no shade to those who like those two, but tbh they weren't the ones that grabbed me from PoX and I was way more interested in learning more about Percival and Cylobel.

The latter's history and backstory sounded particularly interesting and while we knew next to nothing about Percival, the hints dropped about his power to hide people from technology had me curious about his origins....it reminded me of the Outback era, where the X-Men were all hidden from any kind of technological detection thanks to something Roma did....and Roma of course is based in Otherworld, and the daughter of Merlin, tied to all kinds of Arthurian lore. With Percival, of course, being the name of a knight of the Round Table. Always made me wonder if Percival might have been a mutant from Otherworld, since we know they do exist, and Hickman clearly had some interest in establishing that concept.
    Oooh I like all of this regarding Percival. I was most intrigued by him and green Magneto.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurean Sun View Post
    ohk now I think I care about this event. Simply because it's her Event. The president of krakoa has arrived. By artgem

IMG_20221115_093244.jpg
    Right? I'm much more interested in Immoral knowing she may be the one to finally put an end to Sinister's twisted tomfoolery.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    (...)Side note, I've decided over the years that Wolverine type characters should be maxed out at 3 claws per hand. Ultimate Sabretooth had 4 claws and it looked okay, probably because Kubert(s) makes everything look good, but the 5 claws on Romulus looked like it was designed by a 3rd grader and the 4 claws on Wagnerine looks like it was added at the last second as an afterthought. Logan's look cool, Laura's look cool, Daken's look cool and Gabby's look cool even the Native looked better than this stuff. Rule of 3 when it comes to claws!
    There is an interesting subconscious element to why the 3 claw setup as maximum works well, while trying to increase it will always look and feel awkward.

The perhaps easiest example is the "i'm wolverine" joke where someone just places 3 pens between their fingers and make the "claws infront of face" pose.
    While silly, it highlights something any kid can easily realize. That you can very well hold 3 long objects between the space of the 4 fingers and if you do a slashing or stabbing motion it feels stable enough to work. Furthermore the palm and back of the hand feel relatively "stable" and "firm" as opposed to the constant movement of the fingers and thumbs. This also counts for just doing it with 2 or 1, even if it might feel less "cool".

Likewise, when one looks at the hand or fist from above, there are these noticable gaps between the fingers or knuckles, which also invite the above mentioned fantasy idea of placing weapons between them.

Of course in reality it isn't an ideal way to hold bladed or pointed weapons, which is why these kind of weapons have remained a rarity in martial arts history, as opposed to using something with handle and all fingers and thumb closed around it (stronger hold, plus higher flexibility).

Meanwhile doing the above mentioned "i'm Wolverine" joke with a 4th object will right away highight a problem with it, instability, which in turn might easily translates to how the drawn bladed version will look and feel to the viewer.

Because if the blade is behind the pinky finger, it's outer side will essentialy look floaty, since there isn't an addition finger to hold it in place from both sides. It's also impossible to replicate without tape.
    Similar if placed between index finger and thumb it easily becomes apparent how unstable a blade would be there, both because of how much the thumb tends to move around and how much muscles activity tends to be focused there as opposed to the relative more limited movement of the fingers.
    And placing them above the allready existing bones of the hands will break with the illusion that the blades could somehow "naturaly" retract into the arms.

Infact thinking about it, i feel Wolverine's own setup is still the most ideal, followed by Gabby, with both Daken and Laura's being somewhat awkward and problematic in their own right. Mainly because of the position of their respective third blade and lack of middle blade (which is the one that could be used the most precisely).

In pseudo rating:
    Wolverine = A+, Gabby = A-, Laura B, Daken C, Ultimate Sabertooth/Miles Moralisvine/Wagnerine = D-, Romulus (i know they are gloves) = F.

PS:
    In all of this reinventing the wheel with the claws i'm always amused how Mercury and Marrow are left out, considering both could really do any kind of combination of the blades without having to create full blown new characters for them.
    Last edited by Grunty; 11-15-2022 at 10:15 AM.

See How a World Controlled by Mister Sinister Influences Storm, Captain America, and More in New 'Sins of Sinister' Designs
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...nkId=190169367

Artist Paco Medina and Alessandro Vitti’s design sheets for 'Sins of Sinister,' the upcoming X-Men epic launching on January 25, are revealed!

Among the YEAR 10 designs are Storm as she adopts Magneto’s signature style to defend what’s left of Arakko from Sinister’s reach, Captain America after he falls victim to Sinister’s corruption, and a mutant chimera that melds Nightcrawler and Wolverine.

The YEAR 100 designs reveal a mysterious new replacement for Cable’s trademark techno-organic arm, a cruel fate for Nightcrawler, and a new look for Sinister himself.

Lastly, the YEAR 1000 designs introduce two new characters who will play pivotal roles in the event, Ironfire and Auntie Fortune, and the long-awaited return of Rasputin from Jonathan Hickman’s HOUSE OF X/POWERS OF X!

Astonishing Member

Oh look the Wagnerine claws are even worse than i thought.
    It's not only the allready awkward looking 4 claw setup which disregards the ideal situation of having space between the 4 knuckles which either the blades or the external channels for the blades can be positioned between, but it's also on a 2 fingered hand.

So rather than between the knuckles, these blades somehow come out from directly above the bones of the fingers.

Considering these are supposed to be assassin type artifical soldiers, a single blade would have a lot more fitting looking. Heck they could have combined it with a single toe blade ala Laura.

Though overall all of these designs are rather unimpressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I tend to enjoy AU stuff a lot because the writers can go pretty bonkers because it doesn't "count" so to speak. I'll be picking these up. I was going to pass on Dark Web but now that a few of you are mentioning it's a follow up to Hellions I might have to change my mind on that. Hellions was amazing!
    Agreed on both. While sometimes I roll my eyes at these AU events because they don’t count, this one could be good because of the writers involved and allowing them to go nuts. Plus that “Xible” concept where Cable has merged with Xilo, who now I suppose replaces his techno-organics and onboard A.I. system, is kind of cool. I don’t love it when the T-O spreads to his face, though, so kind of wish the Xilo part stopped at his neck like his T-O generally does. Just a personal preference though.

Side note, I've decided over the years that Wolverine type characters should be maxed out at 3 claws per hand. Ultimate Sabretooth had 4 claws and it looked okay, probably because Kubert(s) makes everything look good, but the 5 claws on Romulus looked like it was designed by a 3rd grader and the 4 claws on Wagnerine looks like it was added at the last second as an afterthought. Logan's look cool, Laura's look cool, Daken's look cool and Gabby's look cool even the Native looked better than this stuff. Rule of 3 when it comes to claws!
    I would agree if the claws are organic in nature and just coated in adamantium, but if they’re total implants (as Ultimate Sabretooth’s were) then I don’t have a problem with it. Two, three, four or even five blades can be implanted with their bionic housings and release/retract mechanisms in the forearm and bust out of the back of the hands, as Logan’s claws did initially before the movies changed all that.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”