Default Marvel Multiverse tabletop RPG Update

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-multivers...rulebook-2023/
    Marvel is expanding its foray into the tabletop role-playing game arena with the Marvel Multiverse Role-Playing Game core rule book and The Cataclysm of Kang adventure book.

The core rule book includes dozens of Marvel character profiles and everything players need to understand Marvel Multiverse's d616 rule system. Marvel revealed the core rule book is set to release in June 2023 and will be closely followed by The Cataclysm of Kang a month later in July. In addition to even more character profiles, The Cataclysm of Kang will also feature six interlocking adventures that take players from the streets of the Marvel Universe into a cosmic-level event. Profiles of popular characters such as Black Panther, Captain America, Iron Man, Captain Marvel, Wolverine and more than one Spider-Man have already been announced as part of this first wave.

CBR VIDEO OF THE DAY

Close

RELATED:
    Marvel Multiverse RPG's Disability Representation Is An Important Step For The Genre

The new rule system, featuring Marvel's flagship multiverse dimension, designed by Marvel collaborator and prolific game designer Matt Forbeck, utilizes three six-sided dice (or d6s) as opposed to the popular d20 system favored by the familiar role-playing juggernaut Dungeons & Dragons. However, the d616 system is simple enough for new players to jump onboard quickly and similar enough to current RPGs that veteran players should be able to make a relatively smooth transition.

When faced with challenges, players will roll their 3d6, one of which is the unique Marvel die, in an attempt to meet or exceed a Target Number. If the player matches or surpasses the Target Number, then whatever action they were attempting to overcome the challenge is successful. Rolling a '1' on the Marvel die and anything other than a pair of '1s' on the other two dice mean a "fantastic roll," which guarantees some exceptional outcome, regardless of whether the player hits the TN or not. A roll of '616' is an "ultimate fantastic roll," meaning the roll is wildly successful and can ignore specific penalties. However, if a '1' is rolled on all three dice, it is a botched attempt that fails and brings additional trouble.

RELATED:
    How The Marvel Multiverse Role-Playing Game Differs From Other TTRPGs

While the announcement of Multiverse is exciting, it is not Marvel's first RPG publication. Their previous role-playing game, Marvel Super Heroes, debuted in 1984 and ran until 1993. Initially published by TSR, it also granted players the ability to play as famous comic book heroes and featured a more streamlined rule set.

Marvel released a playtest version of the rules earlier this year, which is still available. After playtesting the scaled-back rule set, players are encouraged to leave feedback on the Marvel website.
    I hope that this game is actually fun to play with a group of people. I still want to find groups of folks in my metro area who play the classic version of Marvel's TSR era role playing game. That's the one which I'm most familiar with.

This sounds interesting. I will give it a look and see what I think. A Lack of players will do me in. But I may get the books if the flavor and fluff is good enough.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.