Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Is Warner Bros a bad corporate parent for DC Comics?

Is Warner Bros a bad corporate parent for DC Comics? Has Disney been a better corporate parent to Marvel compared to Warner Bros and DC?

I mean, I think WB is more creative freeing in some ways than Disney has been for Marvel in certain respects, but they're far from perfect.

When it comes to the comics themselves, I think it's fine.

There's a disconnect with outside media, especially with recent decisions. That's why I'm worried, and it was already a mess regarding the movies, now we barely have animation.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Disney has more synergy and brand awareness. Once you get over there will be no more R-Rated Marvel projects and products it's pretty good.

For many years Warner has been pretty solid. It's only been in the last decade where it's been questionable especially when people compare it to Disney. However, I am concerned about the future of Warner after their recent moves. the last 3 months have been pretty worrying. I use to think people were panicking over nothing and that DC would right the ship eventually if they ever got a competent leader on par with Kevin Feige. Now I have serious doubts
    The J-man

"Bad" is an understatement. DCEU is one of the most (if not the most) mismanaged franchises in existence. Disney can make Rocket Racoon a household name, while WB can't even make a decent Superman movie (or any Superman movie at this point ). They've made a mockery out of DC.

Incredible Member

WB has been in constant crisis since 2012-2013. Before that they were the best studio in Hollywood. Sure Disney has more brand awareness but Warner Bros had many critical and financial hits which were well known to the general public such as Harry Potter, Dirty Harry, Lord of The Rings, Turner Classic movies, Looney Tunes and other cartoons, etc. Since 2013 they have been a constant mess and I don't know why they continue shooting themselves in the foot.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Of course it's a bad parent company. It's been taking over so many times that its hard to stabilize things.

Disney has been better for Marvel since it believes in the products and came into a successful business model w/them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Disney has more synergy and brand awareness. Once you get over there will be no more R-Rated Marvel projects and products it's pretty good.

For many years Warner has been pretty solid. It's only been in the last decade where it's been questionable especially when people compare it to Disney. However, I am concerned about the future of Warner after their recent moves. the last 3 months have been pretty worrying. I use to think people were panicking over nothing and that DC would right the ship eventually if they ever got a competent leader on par with Kevin Feige. Now I have serious doubts
    Honestly I think the worst part about DisMarvel is the synergy.

Warner wasn't a bad parent company in the past, but AT&T wasn't good, and Discovery is definitely proving disastrous.

What are you talking about? Deadpool 3 is in the works. It's not like Disney puts it's name on Marvel stuff, you don't see Disney's Enchanted Castle ident before the Marvel Studios logo animation.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

I think new bob does not mind pushing more rated r marvel projects then old bob.
    New bob is will willing to take more of a risk when comes to that.
    For example deadpool 3 will still be rated r and marvel zombies on disney plus will be tv-ma plus they have been putting out marvel netflix stuff on disney plus.
    Last edited by mace11; 08-23-2022 at 10:14 AM.

Amazing Member

Disney is probably the worst media corporation. They censor movies and tv shows all over Disney+ and they have started the slippery slope in the comics censoring Miracle Man, X-Men, and New Mutants.

Those future book burners are way worse than Warners.

Astonishing Member

It strictly depends on your preferations.
    Under Disney's watch Marvel became the biggest Hollywood franchise, MCU is a phenomenon. The franchise has popularized many characters as much as possible and continues to do so today. However, the creative component is not in favor here, with rare exceptions, everything follows the same formula.
    WB failed to build their own cinematic universe. They initially made the mistake of betting on Snyder, whose views on Superman, Batman and the rest have always been different, and usually in a controversial way. Eventually they just damaged the brand. But on the other hand, WB gives more creative freedom. Disney would never allow to make something like Nolan's Dark Knight, Gunn's Suicide Squad, Phillips' Joker or Reeves' Batman.

I don't think WB has ever fully understood the appeal or spirit of the characters that aren't in the Batman family, but the active shitshow everything has become didn't get quite this bad until the last few mergers/buyouts. (I don't consider early DCEU good by any means, but the stuff that's been happening recently with HBO Max is on a whole other level of fuckery.)

Amazing Member

DC has always done better in the TV world. They have a much stronger record in animation by far. The Marvel movies are better overall than DC thanks to Iron Man through to now, but a two hour movie is not where my love of a comic company comes from. DC has made more sophisticated comics since the mid 80's.

Dan Didio was an overly powerful failure who had story and direction ideas, they were just all bad, and DC still had the better output thanks to other creators and lines like Vertigo. The 60s- early 80s were Marvel overall, but for most of my life DC was better, and I read both.

Extraordinary Member

What exactly is the Marvel formula

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    MCU is just not going to wake up and change their formula because they have X-Men? star wars is a bigger movie series than X-Men and Disney tried to force the MCU formula on star wars.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker
    The "Marvel formula" is a myth. That is a simple fact (don't believe me; watch the frakking movies). It's time to let it die and focus arguments on actual stuff in the series itself (like maybe weak love stories and villains, or how substantial changes are kind of rare).
    Eternals is nothing like avengers,avengers is nothing like black panther,and loki is nothing like ms marvel,hawkeye is nothing like the spiderman mcu movies etc..
    Sony and fox marvel are marvel too and sometimes folks here forget that.
    Sony is still making non mcu marvel movies.
    Marvel tv/streaming live action tv overall has done better then live action dc tv by the way.
    Marvel comics on average has been better then dc's.

Every Marvel movie is a different genre, and that's why the MCU works ...
    https://www.gamesradar.com/every-mar...why-mcu-works/

What exactly is the Marvel formula
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...Marvel-formula
    Last edited by mace11; 08-23-2022 at 11:08 AM.