Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Warner wasn't a bad parent company in the past, but AT&T wasn't good, and Discovery is definitely proving disastrous.

What are you talking about? Deadpool 3 is in the works. It's not like Disney puts it's name on Marvel stuff, you don't see Disney's Enchanted Castle ident before the Marvel Studios logo animation.
    ???
    Duh

But Disney still owns the company. Do people pretend not to see it on Disney+? It’s just some generic unaffiliated streaming service? No. If an adult looks at Marvel and doesn’t realize it’s part of Disney that’s on them.

Disney has done a phenomenal job integrating Marvel into its portfolio. You see it on the streaming service you see rides and attractions at Disney World. Multimedia branding across the board. The fact that Disney has seamlessly integrated Star Wars, Marvel and the Fox acquisitions is a testament to Disney.

The company will continue to put out PG-13 superhero films. This goes for Deadpool, Blade and Moon Knight. They released Prey on Hulu. They will release other properties. Deadpool will still be Deadpool he just won’t say any F-Bombs, but everything else will be the same.
    The J-man

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

It's had its ups and downs.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    What exactly is the Marvel formula

Eternals is nothing like avengers,avengers is nothing like black panther,and loki is nothing like ms marvel,hawkeye is nothing like the spiderman mcu movies etc..
    Sony and fox marvel are marvel too and sometimes folks here forget that.
    Sony is still making non mcu marvel movies.
    Marvel tv/streaming live action tv overall has done better then live action dc tv by the way.
    Marvel comics on average has been better then dc's.

Every Marvel movie is a different genre, and that's why the MCU works ...
    https://www.gamesradar.com/every-mar...why-mcu-works/

What exactly is the Marvel formula
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...Marvel-formula
    All those movies include the same quip-action regardless of whatever sub-genres they dip into. The humor is the same, even when it probably shouldn't apply.

There's a level of sameness, it's working, but as a Marvel fan who was a kid when the MCU started, even I've gotten fatigued.

And I get why they do that, but to say those movies are nothing like the next just isn't accurate.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

TBH no. I don't. WB has shown that they can handle franchises and properties WAY bigger than DC. The problem with WB is that DC isnt one franchise, its a company made up of multiple franchises. DC only has like 6 profitable franchises: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman Harley, Joker, Justice League. And of those 6 franchises, only two of them bring in billions each year (Batman and Superman). In short, WB wants to make money off of what is already proven to be popular rather than take the chances on something that may or may not be. The DCEU has problems because they want to preserve the image of their most popular franchise (Batman) but also have a shared universe. But you cant have a dark/gritty Batman and then a chipper/kid friendly shared universe. Its just not gonna happen. But they also want to chase that shared universe synergy that MCU had. So they are stuck in a rock and a hard place because they dont know what to do with DC.

I think WB would be better off without a shared universe and to just focus on building up these franchises separately. Only the franchises that are similar enough should cross over. Like Batman crossing over with Green Arrow shouldnt pose a huge problem, but Batman and Superman might be like oil and water. Its hard to do. MCU also largely focused on their characters with super powers or the ability to withstand ALOT. The only one who did was Hawkeye and well he wasnt utilized very much.

So yeah the problem isnt that WB is a bad a parent or cant handle a franchise. Its that DC as a whole is a lot harder to implement than MCU because Batman is DC's shining star and he is an ordinary man who's most popular content is darker and grittier.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    All those movies include the same quip-action regardless of whatever sub-genres they dip into. The humor is the same, even when it probably shouldn't apply.

There's a level of sameness, it's working, but as a Marvel fan who was a kid when the MCU started, even I've gotten fatigued.

And I get why they do that, but to say those movies are nothing like the next just isn't accurate.
    I disagree.

Extraordinary Member

Is-the-Marvel-Age-Of-Movies-Done

Is-the-Marvel-Age-Of-Movies-Done
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    ...you cannot have a heavy movie and keep that amount of Disney quipping comedy and colourful animated cgi tone...

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    And yet that's Disney's bread and butter; we keep forgetting just how dark Disney's colorful "kid's stuff" will go. Even Zack Snyder, lover of all things dark and gritty and "adult," has never reached the darkest and most mature places that Disney (animated or otherwise) has gone to. Course, Snyder's stuff, at least the Snyderverse, isn't dark or mature filmmaking. Heck, Black Widow, the latest MCU offering, turned out to be darker and more mature than Snyder will ever be capable of.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...es-Done/page14

Extraordinary Member

Let's keep mind that the dceu has become lighter then the mcu on average reecntly with more humor etc..
    Just look at last number of films and recent show from dceu
    The first dceu show peacemaker is action comedy and fine with that and enjoyed it.
    DCEU has to do what they have do.

Anyway Here is some point of views on this.
    Burt Macklin10 hours ago
    Darkness is allowed in these movies. Tragedy happens to these people. It's about getting the tone right for the characters in those stories.

Gallant Sector9 hours ago
    Dark tone is allowed in any movie the studio wants, but if the majority of the public that see these films don’t like the over all dark tone, for business reasons mostly they either lose out on money or course correct and please the majority.
    Tragic events happen in films/shows/comics that aren’t dark in tone.
    Batman overall look and feeling has always been dark.... but Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash.... nah.

Burt Macklin8 hours ago
    Gallant Sector I didn't say the whole film had to be dark, but those characters have dark moments and they shouldn't have to gloss over that. Wonder Woman had the darkness of war, and that played beautifully. I'm saying there has to be a balance. I don't want jokes to cover tragedy. If something traumatic happens, let the moment happen and don't overcompensate with a joke simply because they're afraid of being too dark. That's all I mean.

Gallant Sector8 hours ago

Burt Macklin well that’s my point, they can have dark moments, that’s not going to register as a dark film, but when the mood of the entire film is dark like BvS and even Man Of Steel being darker than most of the Superman films before it...majority of people feel the movies are too dark.
    Zack Snyder makes films like that.
    But like I said, anything Batman people expect to be dark in tone. No one is complaining about that since the 80’s films.
    Wonder Woman did have some moments on the film, that War, and there you have it. More darkness.
    Some people love that, majority of people complained about it
    Jokes don’t take darkness out of a film, there are plenty of movie that are dark in tone and don’t have a ton of jokes, and plenty of dark comedies that have “dark” humor

Burt Macklin8 hours ago
    Gallant Sector So my original comment still stands. And jokes can absolutely take you out of the moment. Marvel does that a lot. There's a serious moment they have to break with a joke. Justice League did it too. I'm not a fan of that. It's okay to show sadness or anger. Just keep it balanced.

Gallant Sector8 hours ago
    Burt Macklin it’s all subjective...preference. The jokes take you of Of moments, it doesn’t work that way for me.
    As in your original comment, darkness is allowed in these films, yeah...I agree. Especially just some moments.
    Whatever the creators want to do is allowed, but all of the DC films lately been dark in tone completely. That’s the issue they had (I as well). Not all of DC comics or animated stories are dark, brooding and gloomy. Most of the films have been so far.

TheCel11 second ago
    Most dceu films have not been dark.SS,justice league and wonder woman are not dark dc films.The dc film green lantern(non dceu film) before that was not dark either and man of steel to some folks was not dark by the way.
    by James W quote-
    not much of a Marvel comic reader, but haven't they made Thor and Bruce Banner into comedians and Drax from a guy capable of killing Thanos in to guy who makes nipple jokes? Genuine question

by Steven Fraser quote-
    James W Dunno anything about Drax, so I can't answer. As to the Thor and Banner point, I don't class them as "comedians" in the MCU. The comedy comes from Banner's exasperation at the situations he's put in and Thor's naivety/arrogance where he's being placed in situations where he's an outsider, a "fish out of water" as it were. It's not like they're cracking "jokes" per se, as much as their reactions to these situations where the comedy comes from. I don't recall any scene from either of these characters where they stop a scene to tell a "joke". The exact same " fish out of water" style is used for comedy throughout Wonder Woman too. These aren't "comedians"- its the ridiculousness of seeing a Norse God/Amazon react and relate to a world they have no understanding of, THAT'S where the comedy comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I do ask the question with genuine thinking ? arent some of you even tired of the same fun and humour acclaim of MCU after 30 movies?

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I like positivity and seeing as the MCU is now going for more variety in directorial voices, they're keeping themselves fresh.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-Movies/page10

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan
    Stop acting like MCU is only Ragnarok and GOTG. The Captain America and Avengers franchises are serious movies with some humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai
    Well that and the fact that Thor Ragnarok had a LOT of stakes.
    As did Guardians.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...screen/page102

Extraordinary Member

I rememeber some were saying that dceu is going downhill because of movies like shazam and birds of prey etc..

I don't agree with that view point
    The dceu overall has gotten better.

Here is some talk about past dc/dceu films and recent ones.

SHAZAM Trailer is a Huge Hit BUT Some Think its a DCEU Betrayal
    Pegasus 112710 hours ago
    Betrayal?? LMAO. Who ever the **** thinks that is no actual "DC fan". (And should do some research about the character before jumping to conclusions.). And no, not every film from DC is going to be "light hearted" and "comedic". This will all depend on the characters and their story. Basically....the opposite of the MCU.

Just A Fork6 hours ago
    Pegasus 1127 the MCU has WAY more diversity than DC films have. Ever since Batman Begins it's been the same thing over and over again. Infinity War was extremely dark, sure it had some jokes, but most movies do. Jurassic Park has as many jokes as Infinity War and it was dark and dealt with important themes as well.

Justin K14 hours ago (edited)
    In some ways, The Dark Knight is the worst thing that happened to superhero movies, because everyone tried to copy it without paying attention to the fact that, like Sammy said, its dark tone, which was really more grounded than it was “gritty,” was earned through established characters and relationships set up in Batman Begins (an underrated movie overall) and even in that realism it also wasn’t completely humorless like BvS was, because PEOPLE MAKE JOKES IN REAL LIFE! You can’t keep using the Nolan trilogy as the gold standard of dark superhero stories if you continue to completely misunderstand hoooooowwww it worked.

Justin Lopez14 hours ago (edited)
    Justin K That's probably why the MCU has been so successful, they weren't trying to copy them but instead did their own thing. If the DCEU didn't hire Zack Snyder and didn't try to mimic the Dark Knight Trilogy then they probably would have been better off than where they are now.

Justin K14 hours ago (edited)
    Justin Lopez Precisely. And now it looks like the DCEU is trying to take an anthological route, where its movies are only as connected as they want them to be but they aren’t constrained by an overarching story. And that’s not a terrible idea, but it’s embarrassing because that’s clearly not what they wanted to do at first. They just have to backtrack now because their initial attempt to catch up to Marvel failed so disastrously.

ctl698513 hours ago
    Justin K Its frustrating to hear die hard DCEU fans try to claim that Marvel is only for kids because they're lighter yet they have deeper context than the DC movies so far. Being really serious isn't being adult if the characters don't act like adults or say stupid dialogue. Trying to make them so dark calls attention to how goofy everything is

Justin K13 hours ago
    ctl6985 yeah I’ve never liked this connotation that all MCU films are childish. It’s just not true.

C Wilson12 hours ago
    It's not frustrating, it's hilarious seeing DC fans cry like bitches. Marvel redeemed Iron Fist, and just had a sequel to Ant-Man; game over DC.

Joshua Munn12 hours ago
    This is especially timely considering The Dark Knight just had it's 10 year anniversary and Warner Bros. 10 years later still doesn't get what made TDK good for the time it came out: a majority of what made the film great was Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker and the whole mystique around his performance and method acting, as well as his death over 10 and a half year ago (jeez). If it wasn't Heath Ledger, if he hadn't of died, things would not be where they are with TDK or DC in general. Iron Man 1 and The Incredible Hulk came out before The Dark Knight and were slowly changing the game in the same way the dark knight did, spawning the MCU. 10 years later look at Infinity War, it's flashy comic book action, looks like a real comic brought to life, and it's basically brought in another era of comic book films. Trying to constantly replicate the dark knight in an age of GOTG just doesn't work anymore, it didn't really work when they tried it with Watchmen either. Now they've especially messed things up with the DCEU, Arrow started out more dark and angst ridden before the flash show came out. The Dark Knight was once in a lifetime basically because of Heath Ledger and his performance and death that was the main reason people were so enamored with the film in my opinion, and lightning can't strike twice.

Tissan Young9 hours ago
    Honestly bro. I always say MOS was overly depressing for no reason, but people always give me **** for that. Henry Cavill’s Superman is all mopey and stone cold when there’s nothing about his life that would suggest that he’d end up the way he did. There are so many other versions of Superman who have his same struggles and problems but still actually have some kind of happiness in their lives.

Last edited by mace11; 08-23-2022 at 03:34 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Here is why the mcu movies is the way it is and why most folks with common sense want it that the way and it was really smart move from beginning.
    By the way the mcu shows are diverse then mcu movies but some folks keep mention only the movies.
    Mcu is movies and shows(canon and the non canon stuff).

The shows have have less humor on average then the movies.
    In fact marvel shows(mcu and non mcu) are darker then dc shows and movies on average.

Here is reason why mcu is the way it is and wbd want the dceu to be more like mcu(that's why he is getting advice etc.. from disney/marvel) but still be it's own thing.

Anyway mcu movies are becoming more varied then ever in story telling.
    You see that in phase 4 and that's 's why some folks are who are a loud minority complaining.

Pay attention

More Than Just The Same: MCU Head Kevin Feige Says All Marvel Movies Are 'Relatively Different'

As popular as it is, one of the biggest and most enduring criticisms of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) is how similar many of its entries are to each other. Minus a few exceptions, cynical viewers think that Marvel movies are interchangeable, with the only differences being the hero's name and which Infinity Stone the villain was holding. In response, Marvel Entertainment head honcho Kevin Feige defended the MCU, saying that the movies are in fact, different from one another.

Feige Talks About Marvelous Differences

While talking to Uproxx about the upcoming #Marvel movies that include Thor: Ragnarok and Black Panther, Feige acknowledged that the Marvel movies do tend to feel similar to one another. For the producer, there's a perfectly logical reason for this, and it's unavoidable given the tightly-knit group of writers responsible for bringing popular Marvel comics to the big screen.

"I mean, I think it's just the way we make the movies. I think all the movies are relatively different. I think there's a narrative that people like to write about because they're all produced by the same team and they all inhabit the same fictional cinematic universe. That we look for common similarities."

While not downplaying the criticisms and similarities, Feige doubled-down on his belief that the Marvel movies are distinct movies that just so happen to be a part of a greater cinematic universe. To prove his point, the producer cited the most recent Marvel movies that have noticeably been aiming to do something outside of the usual Marvel formula.

"And I'm not saying there aren't common similarities throughout it, but I think 'Thor: Ragnarok' and 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' are two totally different types of movies. They're both fun. People both enjoy them. Is that a similarity? If so, I'll take it. If that's a criticism, I'll take that, too. But really, yeah, 'Homecoming,' 'Ragnarok,' '[Black] Panther,' into 'Infinity War,' 'Ant-Man and the Wasp' after that. And a '90s-set 'Captain Marvel' after that; these are six very different movies.If what they have in common is they're all really enjoyable and fun to watch, then I'll take it."

When asked if Thor: Ragnarok, which is being marketed as an inter-galactic road-trip, was the craziest that Marvel could get, Feige reassured Uproxx's Mike Ryan that #Ragnarok - and by extension, future Marvel films - will be a Marvel movie that fans would not be expecting.

"The truth of the matter is I think they're all unusual and I think they all seem to be funnier than people expect. People said the same thing to me about 'Guardians [of the Galaxy],' people said the same thing to me three months ago about 'Spider-Man: Homecoming.' But, certainly, this is the one that we followed our instincts into comedy unabashedly."
    https://moviepilot.com/p/kevin-feige...ticism/4414149

by Colossus1980
    People always like to throw out that world formulaic as if there's a guarantee to make a movie a box office success. If it was true every studio would do this and ensure ongoing franchises all the time. 2017 saw a lot of franchises crash and burn. Where was the formula to ensure their success?

by Jokerz79
    You keep talking about how the DCEU films are art and their filmmakers are allowed to create their art and vision unlike the Marvel movies which are simply formulaic. But you're wrong the Guardians are very much James Gunn's vision and art the awesome mix tape was his idea, taserface was his idea, he gave Lloyd Kaufman a cameo same with Taiki Waikiki and Thor Ragnarok. Even the Avengers films have a lot of Whedon in them and it's very obvious when comparing the Avengers in Civil War. Yet for all this talk about Snyder's vision the most widely seen version of BvS was the theatrical cut which was butchered by the studio so they could get a shorty run time for more viewings which ironically no one came back for once seeing their hack job and Justice League is clearly not his vision or why want a director's cut? Story wise the DCEU is no more ground breaking than the MCU as for artist vision Marvel and Disney have allowed their directors to put their own stamps onto the properties and unlike WB Disney actually showed the Directors visions for the films in theaters.

El Lobo Uchiha1 hour ago
    MCU is smart because they knew Hero Films were eventually going to get old. Reinvention is key, for any creative project.
    MCU decided, hey there's no such thing as a hero genre [I disagree but whatever]. Let's make our character's who happen to be heroes be in different movies, like a coming of age movie, a political thriller, a heist film, a war film, a nostalgia film, a redemption story, a buddy cop film, and et cetera. That's smart.
    MCU is going to last a while because every film feels new. It doesn't feel like, oh another hero film, nah it's like oh an old western, a space adventure, a nostalgia trip.
    I mean, I'm excited for Captain Marvel cuz it feels like a 90s nostalgia trip. I want that. (+)
    Last edited by mace11; 08-23-2022 at 03:11 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Warner wasn't a bad parent company in the past, but AT&T wasn't good, and Discovery is definitely proving disastrous.

What are you talking about? Deadpool 3 is in the works. It's not like Disney puts it's name on Marvel stuff, you don't see Disney's Enchanted Castle ident before the Marvel Studios logo animation.
    Exactly this.

WB wasn’t a bad parent company at all. AT&T and Discovery have been far worse.

Discovery in particular don’t even seem to know what they really want to do with WB. Stock prices have dropped sharply (to its lowest level since 2009) and a lot of people are short selling because of the messy and heavy-handed approach Discovery is taking.

And you’re right about the Disney thing, they are making R-rated Marvel movies and possibly TV shows. Also, in Canada, Disney+ is filled up with R-rated stuff. Maybe it’s a content licensing thing but once you adjust the content rating for Disney+, there’s a ton of stuff that apparently US residents don’t get.

Extraordinary Member

By the way here some other points view on mcu humor from a few years ago.

Marvel Studios' Black Panther Official Trailer Reaction and Review
    by Zhelyazko Tsarev
    Please don't be another Marvel comedy flick

by agators2121
    Zhelyazko Tsarev like how justice league is all comedy in their trailer? So many quips from Aquaman

by Zhelyazko Tsarev
    agators212 Black Panther looks great. What I mean is for the actual movie to be more badass movie not a comedy.
    Mark Hughes1 quote-
    Just generally speaking, keep in mind some of the all-time best action movies were also filled with humor and comedy -- Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, and Beverly Hills Cop for example. And think about some of the other great action films that also have a constant good sense of humor -- Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, The Rock, and so on. These films don't just have one or two humorous lines, they have repeated funny moments and humor throughout, and as much or in some cases more than the MCU movies.

Granted, a few MCU movies like Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Thor: Ragnarok have enough constant humor to possibly say they could be considered action-comedies, but the rest of the MCU films aren't. If some folks just personally don't enjoy comedy or humor very much and only usually like straight-up serious action, that's obviously totally fine and valid for people to have personal preferences and taste. But I think it's worth trying to be more precise about how much humor really exists in MCU films, since it's often overstated or people end up with a misperception sometimes of the overall MCU tone, and to also remember some of the all-time best and other great action films outside of the superhero genre often have a lot of humor and comedy in them too.

Flash Gordon quote-
    Marvel only doing jokes is a false narrative because Civil War wasn't and Dr. Strange only had a few. As for no wanting "dark" I never found the DCEU dark I mean honestly Marvel is doing more gritty realistic stuff on Netflix I mean Punisher came out the same day as Justice League and it's way more grittier than anything in the DCEU IMO and there was Logan which didn't fail.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    I disagree.
    That's fine, plenty of fans and non-fans have noticed it, but I'm not going to change your mind any further.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Extraordinary Member

Now for folks wanting movies that are not mcu,well there is sony marvel but there is reason why the mcu is the way it is(keep in mind there are changing more and some folks still complain).
    Now there is reason why mcu/disney has not done what dc/wb has done with their films like doing elsewhere stories(non mcu stories ) etc..

Here is some talk on that from years ago.
    Why Marvel Should Explore Elseworld Movies Of Their Own part 1

Raphael De La Ghetto16 hours ago (edited)
    Marvel doesn't need an Elseword b/c their main universe is already set-up to explore a variety of different stories as is. No need to copy the guys that screwed up Batman v Superman and Justice League.

Ryan16 hours ago
    Raphael De La Ghetto Hahaha your right.

The two kittens Entertainment inc16 hours ago
    Raphael De La Ghetto Nah I think that would be an amazing thing if they did for the same reasons that John likes the idea.

The two kittens Entertainment inc He's wrong... #1 DC is only exploring this b/c their main universe is a **** show and nobody cares about the current versions of their characters. #2 Contrary to popular belief, the MCU does not overly constrain their directors as evidenced by films like Black Panther, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Thor Ragnorak. #3, John mentioned "standalone movies". The MCU is filled with standalone movies. All of the universe building stuff is almost always background Easter eggs, organically woven cameos, or post credit scenes. They don't need an Elseworld to tell great stories b/c they're already doing that.

Raphael De La Ghetto but those movies aren’t great at least in my opinion they are ok at best. Going to else world stories and holing nothing back on the dark and gritty stuff that’s what’s going to be good u know because most comics are dark.

The two kittens Entertainment inc16 hours ago (edited)
    Raphael De La Ghetto but those movies aren’t great at least in my opinion they are ok at best. Going to else world stories and holing nothing back on the dark and gritty stuff that’s what’s going to be good u know it will be a really good way to tell the stories that they can’t show on the big screen in the and can’t mesh in to the mcu because most comics are dark. And yes The Netflix shows are dark but shows go on too long or get canceled and there budgets are limited, so elseworld movies are the best way to go.

The two kittens Entertainment inc They're great to me... & the "dark and gritty" Marvel stories are being told on Netflix. Another reason they don't need an "Elseworld".

Raphael De La Ghetto yes The Netflix shows are dark but shows go on too long or get canceled and there budgets are limited and can’t make them come to life that good, so elseworld movies are the best way to go.

The two kittens Entertainment inc16 hours ago (edited)
    Raphael De La Ghetto and not everyone likes to watch shows so that’s also another reason why they should make elseword movies.

Pegasus 112715 hours ago
    Lol what's left of it that is. Spiderman will eventually go back to Sony. (Who are doing a great job with their own universe). Half of the old mcu characters are pretty much done after A4. And they're starting off their new face of their existing universe with Captain marvel..... who's already complete trash. And no one gives a **** about. So many great stories/opportunities were wasted thanks to the "team up film" cycle. The dceu started off bad for obvious reasons, and now they're heading in the right direction. And having an else world selection of films does give audiences (and even studios) more freedom to explore unknown characters and bring great stories to the big screen. Without messing with their current universe. Either way, the MCU is obviously not gonna take that route.....but they'll eventually regret not taking it.

Raphael De La Ghetto15 hours ago (edited)
    The two kittens Entertainment inc lol, The main reason Elseworld stories even exist is to explore alternate versions of existing characters. The MCU doesn't need to do that b/c people love the current versions of their characters. Any good alternate version is best utilized in universe, once the actor playing said character decides to step down. If we're talking about characters that haven't been introduced yet, there's still no need for an Elseworld since Marvel has consistently and competently introduced new characters in self contained stories that are still part of the greater universe.

The two kittens Entertainment inc15 hours ago
    Raphael De La Ghetto dude yes I know,u can have both and yeah alternate versions of characters idk about u but that sounds awesome and **** gets me excited just think of the possibilities it’s endless anything could happen and that’s what I like about the idea.

The two kittens Entertainment inc15 hours ago
    Raphael De La Ghetto and yes when the characters step down they can replace them and be different but that is just one, only one of endless other versions of the characters so they can’t do to much with that and of corse it has to continue going. The beautiful thing about else world is u can tell a story very very different from the current one and when it’s over it’s over and u can then have a different story with the same character in a different setting, and that is awesome.

The two kittens Entertainment inc15 hours ago (edited)
    Pegasus 1127 yeah I what ur trying to say and I agree with u on the elseword stuff , but idk They didn’t make the best choices with there universe but they are the most successful so u got to give em a point for that although they are overrated I liked almost of them but most of them are just ok movies

Bryanne Peguero12 hours ago
    Raphael De La Ghetto two of those show are dead lol

Raphael De La Ghetto12 hours ago (edited)
    The two kittens Entertainment inc That's the thing. After Infinity War, the MCU is already set up to do anything. The only reason Warner Bros is pushing the "else-world" concept is because they screwed up the main universe and they don't want the stench of the DCEU on all of their upcoming projects.

Slippin' Jimmy11 hours ago
    But the MCU doesn’t allow for a ton of variety in terms of style and tone. Great films like Logan or Deadpool would have NEVER been made if they were in the MCU. It’s also can be potentially limiting in terms of story possibilities. A director or writer might have a fantastic idea for a story but can’t do it because it could contradict something from another film. The MCU restricts all of their films to fit within a confined space. There’s too much pre determined lore and canon. Filmmakers aren’t giving the luxury to start fresh. Look at something like Ant-Man. Edgar Wright left because his ideas weren’t “consistent” with the MCU. It still turned out pretty good, but cmon you can’t deny that Wright’s version would have turned out WAY better.

Last edited by mace11; 08-23-2022 at 03:30 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Why Marvel Should Explore Elseworld Movies Of Their Own- part 2

Raphael De La Ghetto10 hours ago
    Slippin' Jimmy That's just not true. The style and tone of the MCU is plenty varied. Winter Soldier is an espionage action thriller, Ant-Man is a heist comedy, Black Panther is an Afrofuturist sci-fi fantasy, Infinity War was unlike any other movie before it, I could go on... Hell, Iron Man 3 is a Christmas action movie.
    On the Deadpool thing. Let's not forget how that came to be... Fox had no vision for the character. The leaked test footage went viral so they gave them a 50 million dollar budget. It was a low risk high reward gamble that paid off.
    Contrary to popular belief, the biggest strength of the MCU is the fact that they never over-invested in continuity. They generally leave the world building stuff to post credit scenes and all of the Easter eggs that fanboys obsess over is never important until it needs to be. Yes, they have certain parameters that a filmmaker must work within. Every studio does. (ie. Ryan Coogler wasn't gonna able to kill T-Challa in Black Panther). Aside from that, they've provided enough freedom for several directors to make some of the best comic-book movies ever. I don't see that changing.

Slippin' Jimmy10 hours ago
    Raphael De La Ghetto
    There’s some variety in the MCU but not a lot. Yes, Winter Soldier is somewhat different from Ant-Man, but they still share a lot of similarities. They all have a very similar look, feel and tone. Just mildly twisting the “genre” isn’t enough.
    The circumstances of which Deadpool was made is irrelevant. THEY STILL MADE IT. I don’t see the MCU lining up to make any of these types films. If they’re so “easy and low risk” why isn’t Marvel making any R Rated comic book movies? Let’s not forgot how the MCU came to be either. Marvel had no vision for the Avengers. X-Men and Spider-Man, the characters they WANTED to make movies with, were owned by other studios. So Marvel had to think outside the box. It’s the exact same situation as Fox with Deadpool. Also, who do you think MADE they leaked test footage? It didn’t just materialize out of thin air. Someone at Fox had to authorize the test footage being made. Plus, It’s been heavily implied multiple times that it was purposefully leaked to gain buzz and attention.
    Again. It’s not an EITHER/OR situation. It can be BOTH/AND. Yes, there are benefits to having a shared universe. Yes, some great stuff has come out of the MCU, some of the best of the entire comic book genre. That doesn’t mean it’s the only way comic book movies can be done right. I don’t understand why people are so against this. If they do any else world film and it sucks, oh well you move on with your life. If a movie that’s part of a large cinematic universe sucks, it could potentially sour the entire universe.

Raphael De La Ghetto8 hours ago (edited)
    Slippin' Jimmy Some of the stuff you said is just blatantly false. "Marvel had no vision for the Avengers"? That was the plan from the moment they started to make their own movies.
    After 10 years and 20 good-to-great films, the MCU is perfectly capable of processing a flop and moving right along. No one is going to be soured on the whole franchise if the Eternals movie sucks. For Marvel, making an "Elseworlds" is a needless complication since they've built a world where they can tell any story they want to anyway.. and if it flops, they'll just ignore it like they did with all those ester eggs from the Incredible Hulk.
    DC on the other hand is throwing **** at a wall to see what sticks. That's why they're leaning into Elseworlds. It's so they can tell audiences. "No this isn't related to those awful movies you didn't like."

Pro Bot6 hours ago (edited)
    @The two kittens Entertainment inc well the people who don't like to watch shows can suck it. They're the ones missing out.
    Quote Originally Posted by NotNickFury View Post
    The difference is that Marvel took its time with its cinematic universe and built a world, while Dawn of Justice tries to do too much in the span of one film.
    Not to mention that the MCU does do dark films. The likes of The Incredible Hulk, and even later films like Winter Soldier and Iron Man 3 deal with some pretty serious themes. Cinematography-wise, sure, it's not like someone turned out the lights, but those films are examples of doing a dark, serious superhero film and still being able to inject humor in situations when necessary.
    Are people being preemptively harder on DC? Possibly, but not like DC hasn't somewhat brought it on themselves with this haphazard approach, lack of a real critical hit, and rushing to play catch-up instead of taking its time. I doubt anyone would have an issue with DC taking a slower approach if the films as a whole were well-received, which is why there's now so much pressure on Wonder Woman.
    http://forums.superherohype.com/show...=#post34566349

Dark And Gritty Vs Light And Fun - What Makes A Better Comic-Book Movie - The John Campea Podcast

The talk starts around 30:30.

Extraordinary Member

Marvel MCU movies vs dc/dceu movies tone talk from a few years ago etc..
    John Campea Open Mic - Saturday August 8th 2020

The talk starts around 4:13.