Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    That's fine, plenty of fans and non-fans have noticed it, but I'm not going to change your mind any further.
    Like i said a loud minority that i disagree with by the way.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The short answer is yes. Stuff like Black Label is probably the best thing they've done in decades but for the most part, DC is best when the corporation keeps it's hands off. I know I keep bringing her up but I can't help but think that Jeannette Kahn stood up for DC to Warners in a way that Didio and the others didn't. The TV stuff is fine but the movie end is in trouble. Which, of course, is why the TV stuff is being cancelled left and right. I mean, they pulled the plug on YJ! I think playing second fiddle to Marvel for so long has literally scarred the management at Warners.
    Assassinate Putin!

Retired

I always feel I need to point out that "Warner Brothers" the movie studio didn't acquire the comic book publisher--they are both properties that were acquired by a larger company that has shifted hands and changed names over the years. In fact, the comic book company was acquired first and then the movie studio after. It's the larger corporate entity that dictates what happens to the movie company and the comic book company--and because that entity keeps being acquired by different owners, there can't be consistency for either of those properties or the other properties mingled with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly this.

WB wasn’t a bad parent company at all. AT&T and Discovery have been far worse.

Discovery in particular don’t even seem to know what they really want to do with WB. Stock prices have dropped sharply (to its lowest level since 2009) and a lot of people are short selling because of the messy and heavy-handed approach Discovery is taking.

And you’re right about the Disney thing, they are making R-rated Marvel movies and possibly TV shows. Also, in Canada, Disney+ is filled up with R-rated stuff. Maybe it’s a content licensing thing but once you adjust the content rating for Disney+, there’s a ton of stuff that apparently US residents don’t get.
    Same thing in the UK, where Disney+ has six sections. Five of them are the same as in the US - Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, National Geographic, and Marvel. The sixth is called Star, and contains all the R-rated material as well as other properties you wouldn't associate with Disney (such as the 20th Century Studios back catalogue, and the shows from Hulu, which doesn't exist here).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Same thing in the UK, where Disney+ has six sections. Five of them are the same as in the US - Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, National Geographic, and Marvel. The sixth is called Star, and contains all the R-rated material as well as other properties you wouldn't associate with Disney (such as the 20th Century Studios back catalogue, and the shows from Hulu, which doesn't exist here).
    It's wild but apparently in some Asian regions like India that don't have HBO Max, Disney+ is the platform for Game of Thrones, House of the Dragon, Euphoria, The White Lotus etc. So the fake wholesome Disney image is only for America.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DisneyPlu...Cq_bPu0KsrAAAA

Yeah, overseas has hulu under the star name and its part of disney plus at one price. They don't have the hulu live cable package, however. Japan has Crunchyroll anime on their disney plus also!

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

A old video of star hub we don't get complete with futurama, taxi and x files.

mace11, can you not spam the thread with several long posts where you just copy and paste an article and post a video? It makes the whole thread unreadable.

As for the OP, yes absolutely. Especially in the last few years where the AT&T and Discovery mergers look like it may seriously cripple the company. Disney gives Marvel the freedom to do what they want and give them elite marketing outside the comics as well. Hard to argue with their ownership when you see how Marvel became the biggest media franchise in the world since they got bought

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The short answer is yes. Stuff like Black Label is probably the best thing they've done in decades but for the most part, DC is best when the corporation keeps it's hands off. I know I keep bringing her up but I can't help but think that Jeannette Kahn stood up for DC to Warners in a way that Didio and the others didn't. The TV stuff is fine but the movie end is in trouble. Which, of course, is why the TV stuff is being cancelled left and right. I mean, they pulled the plug on YJ! I think playing second fiddle to Marvel for so long has literally scarred the management at Warners.
    Vertigo from the late 80s through early 00s > Black Label.

WB is a good corporate parent when they keep DC well funded and away from any corporate schenangians. Unfortunately, the last few years have seen the Vertigo line disappear, creator owned comics vanish, the editorial department cut, and the collections department gutted.

Ever since ~2010 DC has been terribly mismanaged under Warner and it only seems to be getting worse. Not even the state of the comics is good now. Cancelling a fully filmed movie was the last straw for me. i think Warner should sell DC to somebody else that hopefully does a better job with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post

WB is a good corporate parent when they keep DC well funded and away from any corporate schenangians. Unfortunately, the last few years have seen the Vertigo line disappear, creator owned comics vanish, the editorial department cut, and the collections department gutted.
    This. Ending Vertigo really made DC lose a large part of its identity that it has still not been able to recover.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post

Yeah, ending Vertigo was a massive loss that people don't talk about enough.

Many people seem to have forgotten just how big Vertigo was particularly in bookstores. Vertigo was the bridge that got a lot of people into comics and Marvel's "deliverance" in the 2000s was built on the backs of Vertigo creators. Vertigo was like the "HBO of comics", it was a place for prestige storytelling.

I understand that Image completely subsumed Vertigo's place (especially since Image allows creators full ownership of their characters and concepts) but I think gutting the entire line was a big, big mistake.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    It's wild but apparently in some Asian regions like India that don't have HBO Max, Disney+ is the platform for Game of Thrones, House of the Dragon, Euphoria, The White Lotus etc. So the fake wholesome Disney image is only for America.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DisneyPlu...Cq_bPu0KsrAAAA
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Yeah, overseas has hulu under the star name and its part of disney plus at one price. They don't have the hulu live cable package, however. Japan has Crunchyroll anime on their disney plus also!

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I watched "Pam and Tommy" and "Prey" on Disney+.

Disney+ family friendly identity is an American thing. Outside the US, you can watch all sort of stuff there.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I watched "Pam and Tommy" and "Prey" on Disney+.

Disney+ family friendly identity is an American thing. Outside the US, you can watch all sort of stuff there.
    Star (Disney+)
    Star (stylized as ST★R) is a content hub within the Disney+ streaming service that launched on February 23, 2021. The hub is available in a subset of countries where Disney+ is operated. In Latin America a separate streaming service, Star+, was launched on August 31, 2021.
    Star features television and film content from the libraries of Disney subsidiaries, including FX Networks, Freeform, ABC Signature, 20th Television, 20th Television Animation, 20th Century Studios, 20th Century Animation, Searchlight Pictures, Touchstone Pictures and Hollywood Pictures.It also features licensed non-Disney branded content through Disney Platform Distribution.

There is this too.

R-rated movies have come to Disney+
    Disney+ just got a little more adult.
    The streaming service added its first R-rated films in the US on Friday with “Deadpool,” “Deadpool 2” and “Logan.” The movies star Marvel superheroes, but as their ratings suggest, they’re decidedly not kid-friendly.

That’s a notable shift in the content strategy for Disney+: Since its 2019 launch, the service has focused its US content on titles for the whole family, rated PG-13 and below.
    That kid-centered approach has worked out well so far, as Disney+ has garnered nearly 140 million subscribers in under three years. But now the service must keep growing, and it needs content for all ages if it wants to compete with Netflix (NFLX) and other rivals.

That’s likely why the service has added more adult fare in the last few months, including several Marvel series that originally streamed on Netflix, such as “Daredevil,” “The Punisher” and “Jessica Jones.” Along with the three films added on Friday, those series are more gritty and violent than the Marvel content already on Disney+.

Does this mean Disney+ will be overrun with R-rated, mature content? Probably not, as Disney’s bread and butter is still family fare.
    To read more go here.
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/25/media...gan/index.html

There is this as well.

Disney+
    In August 2021, Disney CEO Bob Chapek hinted that a possible Hulu/Disney+ merger could happen in the future to create an all-in-one streaming service on Disney+. He mentioned that Disney might ditch its streaming bundle of Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ eventually. This is similar to the Star brand on Disney+ available in overseas markets outside of the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Seeing those anime on Disney+ is so random.

Extraordinary Member

Any update views on this topic?