Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

I have to agree with the sentiments that those that openly admit they steal their comics and then complain about them is a bit tiresome. Promoting piracy is also clearly against board rules so please stop trying to justify the theft.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I think HED's point is about the consistent complaining from those that do not pay, which I agree with. Piracy is here to stay and I've long accepted that but what personally irks me is when a reader complains week after week, month after month, without paying. I was debating with another reader once who is consistently unhappy and argumentative about the X-books and as soon as they said "I haven't given Marvel my money in years!", I stopped engaging. Pirate away but if you're going to be insistent about bashing the line, I have zero time.
    I don’t really care how other people read their comics. It is simply not my business. But for myself, I see paying money and coming on here to complain as two sides of the same coin…it is the only thing I can do to have any miniscule influence on what I want to see in the content. When I am enjoying a series, I will gladly pay for it because that is how I both support the creators who are keeping me excited and entertaining and help give them the ability to create more of it.

Conversely, there are creators that I think just make awful content and I see no reason to support them or make X-office give them more writing assignments.
    And I have been pessimistic on here, but that’s my way of trying to bring the content to where I want it to be. Maybe someone at Marvel reads these forums and thinks, ‘Hey, that’s a good idea. Let’s send X-writers a note…’ Sure, that’s highly unlikely, but I have hope. And at the very least I am adding my tiny voice to the chorus calling for change. In case anyone forgets, that’s how we got more diverse character in the first place, our fan base demanding it.

So, to me, both are valid expressions of my opinion and supportive of the series I do love and have since I was a kid. I personally just liked it a lot better in other eras.

Edit: I apologize if that was directed at me. My intention certainly isn't to justify theft of IP, which is against the law. But I think there should be discussions between fans regardless of how they read their comics because good ideas can come from anywhere, and passionate fan bases are always a positive.
    Last edited by Ulysian_Thracs; 08-24-2022 at 03:29 PM.
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

I'm fully onboard with genuine conversation and thoughtful complaints, regardless of how one reads their books. It's the trolling and sniping, while pirating, that I take issue with.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member

In the words of the mayor from Ghostbusters, being miserable is every fan's god-given right.

As long as the complaints don't fall into harassment, let people vent. You can't force someone to enjoy something just because you enjoyed it. And making assumptions about the real reason someone has a problem with a book is just 'making an ass of you and me.'

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

I think most are excited about the general works of Ewing and Gillen, I personally think Duggan makes a nice complimentary third. However I do believe that the franchise has ironically fallen back into the hole Hickman was trying to rescue it from. There's all these potential plot threads spinning in the air but no one is really engaging the themes Hickman set up in a meaningful way for me. We've veered so far off in regards to the primary threats to mutantdom we're perpetually in a waiting period for those thing to finally drop.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I've always taken the "If you aren't buying it then you're not allowed to complain" thinking as an excuse to disregard complaints.
    It's not an excuse when the person saying that has NEVER read the books. This tends to be the group we hear more from versus others.

That is the group who LOVES to make up stuff to fan the flames of toxic behavior.

There is a difference between "I read the first 13 issues of X-Men and did not like it and I am jumping ship" and "Sunfire makes the book unreadable".

"Synch is preventing Rogue from getting page time and needs to go back to limbo like EVERY other Z lister like Pixie."

"BLANK is being shoved down our throats."

If one is NOT reading the books-why complain?

Because as I have seen with that faction-Marvel could get Claremont and a roster of Storm, Jean, Scott, Logan, Nightcrawler, Beast and Kitty and they would STILL find a reason to NOT buy the book.
    They are more concerned about who is on the cover versus what is IN the book.

you can spread awareness of the problem and get the problem fixed one way or another at some point in time. That's one of the few differences between complaining about treatment of creative IPs and other things like food. People feel emotional connections to creative IPs and know things can be better as a result of their feelings. People usually don't feel a strong personal, emotional connection to their peanut butter, so they usually don't talk and complain about it as much as treatment of creative IPs.
    Unfortunately complaining here is NOT going to change anything. Because the other part of the problem are comic books stores.

We can ALL have an issue with the current event going on-that will NOT stop some stores ordering Judgement Day and NOT caring how many unsold copies are in the store. We have all seen bins in stores and at cons PACKED with top "selling" books.

Marvel does NOT care as long as ORDERS by stores are high.

a year ago i used to buy and read ALL the krakoa x books monthly now since January that has stopped.

these are the only books i read and buy. i usually read tuesdays AM when i get review copies sent to hold me over til i get the print issue in the mail.

i just cant get into the other books or want to put the time and effort especially if im not buying them. comics are a cheap entertainment but nowadays some are the prices of movie tickets lol