Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    More Bendis in Superman, no thank you.
    Bendis wouldn't have been on Superman at all. He's since come out and said that he was going to be on a Green Arrow book and Checkmate books along with the general spy side of DC.

All signs point to Fraction taking over Superman. Fraction himself being notable as the only Superman writer to win an Eisner for a main Superman related book in over two decades if I'm not mistaken.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Chances are it was because of DC being stuck in its ways, and the fear from main universe creative teams. Mark Waid pretty famously had Marvel hold off on Ultimate FF (I think) while he was on FF specifically because of the fear of his title being viewed as the "title for the old guys".

The irony is that creators at DC say that they want to be fresh, new, and of the times, but their go-to is to just simply remix and rip off a classic story which, as DiDio points out, is still very much in circulation. People took his comment about everyone who writes Superman reverting back to how they viewed him as a child to mean he hated the core of what was good about Superman. But the reality is that he saw time and time again how good writers would suddenly become creatively bankrupt when put on Superman because they're writing mainly with that childhood ideal in mind.

And I really, really applaud how observant DiDio was by noticing how people from other countries not just view and write the character, but also gravitate towards the character to begin with. The idea of an outside perspective is so invaluable.

I wish DiDio had looked in his own backyard with this same mentality (which no one else in power seems to share) because you can produce a similar effect by giving Superman to people of color, people of non Christian/ western faith, people of different genders, and people of different sexual orientations. Because that's still quite similar to how people from other nations use Superman as a stand in for what they feel about America. For the people that I've mentioned, Superman becomes a stand in for men/white men/straight white men.

To this day it's still criminal that Christopher Priest hasn't been given a 50 issue Superman run. His words on what he views Superman still ring in my head. The sharpness and formalism that he could've brought to any version of a Superman book can't be overstated, and is akin to the raw imagination that Morrison brought.

The DiDio era likely takes all of the big swings with it. Pour one out for the big homie Dan.
    That is new to me on Priest. For some reason anytime I have read of Priest's Superman it was usually somehow inclusive of a Superman WW romantic or romantic seeming moment. What did he say was his view of Superman?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Superman who leaps and trains is always welcome by me.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    What did he say was his view of Superman?
    https://www.supermanhomepage.com/nov...s-deathstroke/

"I see Kal-El as a kind of buffed out Tom Hanks: an identifiable Everyman with whom I identify a great deal. As a minister and a person of faith, I try, every day, to do good, to be helpful. We live in a cynical world where people are perhaps rightly suspicious of strangers trying to help them, and it is frustrating to constantly be treated with suspicion. There are days when I tire of it, where I become anxious about it, where I throw up my hands in anger.

But, the next day, I just get up and start over again. That’s Superman."
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Sorry,but i rarely feel that(tom hanks)..clark feels out of sink and out of touch.
    "people face off inflation"
    le clark kent:"my son grew up too fast or why won't lois date me"
    People's reaction to strangers helping them is justified.. Superman's books haven't provided me anything to feel other wise.I doubt it would ever will.

That's a quote from a minister?And the minister say superman is relatable to him.Yeah!that just means he isn't relatable to the guy working on a construction or writing a story about hunger.

Chances are it was because of DC being stuck in its ways, and the fear from main universe creative teams. Mark Waid pretty famously had Marvel hold off on Ultimate FF (I think) while he was on FF specifically because of the fear of his title being viewed as the "title for the old guys".

The irony is that creators at DC say that they want to be fresh, new, and of the times, but their go-to is to just simply remix and rip off a classic story which, as DiDio points out, is still very much in circulation. People took his comment about everyone who writes Superman reverting back to how they viewed him as a child to mean he hated the core of what was good about Superman. But the reality is that he saw time and time again how good writers would suddenly become creatively bankrupt when put on Superman because they're writing mainly with that childhood ideal in mind.

And I really, really applaud how observant DiDio was by noticing how people from other countries not just view and write the character, but also gravitate towards the character to begin with. The idea of an outside perspective is so invaluable.

I wish DiDio had looked in his own backyard with this same mentality (which no one else in power seems to share) because you can produce a similar effect by giving Superman to people of color, people of non Christian/ western faith, people of different genders, and people of different sexual orientations. Because that's still quite similar to how people from other nations use Superman as a stand in for what they feel about America. For the people that I've mentioned, Superman becomes a stand in for men/white men/straight white men.

To this day it's still criminal that Christopher Priest hasn't been given a 50 issue Superman run. His words on what he views Superman still ring in my head. The sharpness and formalism that he could've brought to any version of a Superman book can't be overstated, and is akin to the raw imagination that Morrison brought.

The DiDio era likely takes all of the big swings with it. Pour one out for the big homie Dan.
    As a guy who isn't from similar background @superlad..i
    completely agree with your post quoted by @stanlos.
    ..it ain't about race either.. i don't really care for identity politics unless it's absolutely necessary.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-25-2022 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Sorry,but i rarely feel that(tom hanks)..clark feels out of sink and out of touch.
    "people face off inflation"
    le clark kent:"my son grew up too fast or why won't lois date me"
    People's reaction to strangers helping them is justified.. Superman's books haven't provided me anything to feel other wise.I doubt it would ever will.

That's a quote from a minister?And the minister say superman is relatable to him.Yeah!that just means he isn't relatable to the guy working on a construction or writing a story about hunger.

As a guy who isn't from similar background @superlad..i
    completely agree with your post quoted by @stanlos.
    ..it ain't about race either.. i don't really care for identity politics unless it's absolutely necessary.
    Race is an oversimplification. There's a more nuanced idea that I was getting at, but I'm not on here anymore these days, and I just didn't feel like typing anymore than I had to (which was already more than I wanted). But yeah, the simple answer is give Superman to people that aren't the same standard of guys we normal give him to, and allow their perspective to shine through. It's not super hard. Doesn't even actually have to be non white or non straight non men. Just has to be not the normal comic dude looking to do the same ****. The very last time it was done we got Yang on Smashes The Klan. Should probably tell you something.

It's even just as simple as getting an indie writer who really gets strange with it. That was going to be Fraction on Jon's book. He's written normal superhero stuff before, but where he really lives is out of the box indie ****. That's what made his Hawkeye who of the most well received and remembered books of its time. It's what got his Jimmy Olsen book the only Eisner that the main line Superman books have seen in decades. DiDio was making good on his views on how people should tackle Superman while also getting a guy who was a team player along with being an out of the box writer.

I loved the stuff Bendis wrote so his being part of any plan is cool to me. I like a lot of the ideas presented though. The idea of a new generation of characters is just appealing to me. It might get writers to take more chances. I read two issues of the Mark Waid Batman & Superman book & it is not for me. It’s clearly drawing from another era. I’d like to see something a bit more reflective of 2022.

Bendis wouldn't have been on Superman at all. He's since come out and said that he was going to be on a Green Arrow book and Checkmate books along with the general spy side of DC.
    He still keep his claws on the character on his other books. And after how he wrote Green Arrow in Justice League, I think it was a luck he didn't wrote the character.

All signs point to Fraction taking over Superman. Fraction himself being notable as the only Superman writer to win an Eisner for a main Superman related book in over two decades if I'm not mistaken.
    Good for him. But that doesn't means his work on Superman would had worked.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I loved the stuff Bendis wrote so his being part of any plan is cool to me. I like a lot of the ideas presented though. The idea of a new generation of characters is just appealing to me. It might get writers to take more chances. I read two issues of the Mark Waid Batman & Superman book & it is not for me. It’s clearly drawing from another era. I’d like to see something a bit more reflective of 2022.
    How do you define that though...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    How do you define that though...
    Something than will be forgotten and out of style in 2023.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Something than will be forgotten and out of style in 2023.
    That's how it should go..Things end and get out if style.listen i get superman or batman for that matter is "cultural icon".i have no problem with an established fanbase as well.But,when the market is all about catering to one type of audience.Then that's not really free.

So we want Superman to chase trends? Rather than BE the trend? I don't know.

Today's world here in the Americas at least seems to face a burgeoning trend of poor ethics, apathy, and widespread developmentally stunted prebubescence in what are ostensibly adults. I don't know that it is a good idea to see an aspirational figure like Superman chase the affinity of that set for fear of cringe-worthy try hardness not to mention how it betrays the character.

I think the MCU has shown with Cap that leaning into the character's nature is the best approach. I think that is even more true with Supes, the OG. Superman doesn't need to be a smug robotic edgelord to be cool; he's SUPERMAN

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They started small, it was just Spider-Man, F4, and X-Men. If you kicked things off with just Superman and Batman, and if they succeeded slowly grew from there, I’m not sure why that would be a problem. Perhaps Didio wanted to go all in right away and that put the higher ups off?
    Sure, but Ultimate Marvel was already a thing so Didio and whoever blocked it probably understood that if this thing works then 4 years later they'll have another universe with bunch of ongoings and hundreds of issues.

Grown ass adults who get given real money to write stories about made up flying men deciding that they couldn't play nice with other and NEEDED to inject their childhoods into the current stories even if they it went expressly against the spirit and trajectory of the line.
    We are in rather bad situation. On one hand we want people familiar with older stories so they don't write out of character stories or repeat same story that happened 3 years ago, but... such people often have very strong opinions about characters that they follow. And they are going push for their vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    So we want Superman to chase trends? Rather than BE the trend? I don't know.

Today's world here in the Americas at least seems to face a burgeoning trend of poor ethics, apathy, and widespread developmentally stunted prebubescence in what are ostensibly adults. I don't know that it is a good idea to see an aspirational figure like Superman chase the affinity of that set for fear of cringe-worthy try hardness not to mention how it betrays the character.

I think the MCU has shown with Cap that leaning into the character's nature is the best approach. I think that is even more true with Supes, the OG. Superman doesn't need to be a smug robotic edgelord to be cool; he's SUPERMAN
    Riiight,growing a mullet in 90s wasn't following some trend.most things come from following a trend.be honest about it..Make something good,true to yourself or sone part of you and hope that it's quality.if superman was the og,who are zorro,hugo danner,john carter,doc savage..etc and whole list of characters?If something actually new and good happens.People will run with it.That's how a trend setter is created.Trying to make "trend setter" is not something you or anyone can do is my opinion.
    Comic book fans and dumb "dark/light" nonesense..i have nothing to say about that..Also would like to add that the guy who stuffed a person in a trash can is the king of edgelord business...
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-26-2022 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Sure, but Ultimate Marvel was already a thing so Didio and whoever blocked it probably understood that if this thing works then 4 years later they'll have another universe with bunch of ongoings and hundreds of issues.
    Guess I just don’t get why that would be a “bad” thing.

We are in rather bad situation. On one hand we want people familiar with older stories so they don't write out of character stories or repeat same story that happened 3 years ago, but... such people often have very strong opinions about characters that they follow. And they are going push for their vision.
    Hah I remember when Tynion talked about how he kept trying to slip in old bits of continuity into his New 52 books, or Scott Snyder arguing that they should keep Batman: Year One as the canon origin and when you’ve got your writers being downright mutinous about this being a reboot it kneecaps the whole endeavor.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/