Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Re: Priest...

How was his JL run? I've read a bunch of his stuff but haven't read that.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

It was JL run for people who usually don't like JL.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    It was JL run for people who usually don't like JL.
    Which is probably why I didn't like it .

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Giving the classics new roles to make room for a new generation is something that should only ever be done in an Elseworlds
    Yes, this. Glad various forces ended Dan and his plans.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Further in Didio also shares some more info:

-Foreign writers tend to ask for Superman while Americans want Batman (shocker). Didio says it’s because they see Superman as a stand in for America and that provides story material
    -Apparently before Flashpoint one of the events was going to serve as a reboot, Didio says it may have been Final Crisis. He says it was going to get Clark, Bruce, and Diana out of there because the problem the DCU has is the other parts of the DCU age but those three don’t. So Didio was going to take those three out, replace them with new heroes (presumably new mantle holders), and then use the Trinity to start an Ultimate DC line

Second part is interesting because it’s making me think about how those scrapped plans may have been used for the New 52. Maybe Conner was going to be the one slated to take over for Clark? He would be a young brash Superman who was more raw and impulsive the way New 52 Clark was, he was dating Cassie - who presumably would have been Wonder Woman, another similarity to the New 52 - and a lot of Morrison’s work on Action could be seen as providing new replacement Rogues for Conner in the vein of Clark‘a: Nimrod replacing Terra-Man, Vyn the son of Mxy going up against Conner the “son” of Clark and Lex, a “Superdoomsday” for a new Superman, etc.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Making an ultimate line that focues on the Trinity and filters on down with time and growth, and an older (from a lore history perspective) line moving on makes a lot of sense. Didio didn't always have crap ideas.

It's exactly what current DC should be doing right now. They could easily focus on their legacy without alienating fans of the classic characters. Why this idea keeps getting nixed is beyond me. Don't want one to overshadow the other or something? Who cares? If one does better than the other it just tells you what the majority favor, and as long as one doesn't completely tank that doesn't matter. And if one does completely tank, well then you know it's not working and nix it then. I'm not really seeing the major pitfall compared to any other of the risks they were willing to take.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-26-2022 at 03:01 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Imagine needing a character to act as a stand in for something else because you lack the intellectual creativity to actually make your point with your story. Japan please continue to lay waste the American comic book industry, it's been a total trash heap for almost 40 years now.

Edit: In fact I walked into Target today and saw One Punch Man and MHA. Didn't see a single American or Euro comic. Half the store at my local comic book shop is manga too. America is a joke.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hah I remember when Tynion talked about how he kept trying to slip in old bits of continuity into his New 52 books, or Scott Snyder arguing that they should keep Batman: Year One as the canon origin and when you’ve got your writers being downright mutinous about this being a reboot it kneecaps the whole endeavor.
    Seems to be a thing with those continuity reboots, I hear that Star Wars writers reference stuff from the old Expanded Universe, and some are actually canon again, at least partially.

Further in Didio also shares some more info:

-Foreign writers tend to ask for Superman while Americans want Batman (shocker). Didio says it’s because they see Superman as a stand in for America and that provides story material
    -Apparently before Flashpoint one of the events was going to serve as a reboot, Didio says it may have been Final Crisis. He says it was going to get Clark, Bruce, and Diana out of there because the problem the DCU has is the other parts of the DCU age but those three don’t. So Didio was going to take those three out, replace them with new heroes (presumably new mantle holders), and then use the Trinity to start an Ultimate DC line

Second part is interesting because it’s making me think about how those scrapped plans may have been used for the New 52. Maybe Conner was going to be the one slated to take over for Clark? He would be a young brash Superman who was more raw and impulsive the way New 52 Clark was, he was dating Cassie - who presumably would have been Wonder Woman, another similarity to the New 52 - and a lot of Morrison’s work on Action could be seen as providing new replacement Rogues for Conner in the vein of Clark‘a: Nimrod replacing Terra-Man, Vyn the son of Mxy going up against Conner the “son” of Clark and Lex, a “Superdoomsday” for a new Superman, etc.
    Hm... Isn't that also more or less what they more or less did with New 52's Earth 2? A world without the Trinity since they all died, though in this case they didn't really make replacements, at least not at first, if your guess is right, they used those plans for Nupes, and the idea of getting rid of Trinity happened in New 52's Earth 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I am kinda split on this one.sometimes he does... sometimes he doesn't.i am talking about in a blunt propaganda kinda way.

Otherwise superman is an american.He deals with thing in the american society and with that lens.Why do even the foreign writers give that lens?i don't know.For example,the immigrant narrative.
    Yup, sounds just as uninteresting and bad as IF ended up being/is. Giving the classics new roles to make room for a new generation is something that should only ever be done in an Elseworlds, or you have another Earth if you want it an actual ongoing line.. That's why the progression of Earth-Two worked back in the day, there was Earth-One as well.

Then classics should stop feeling like your dad or grand dad don't you think.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-26-2022 at 06:45 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Incredible Member

Making an ultimate line that focues on the Trinity and filters on down with time and growth, and an older (from a lore history perspective) line moving on makes a lot of sense. Didio didn't always have crap ideas.

It's exactly what current DC should be doing right now. They could easily focus on their legacy without alienating fans of the classic characters. Why this idea keeps getting nixed is beyond me. Don't want one to overshadow the other or something? Who cares? If one does better than the other it just tells you what the majority favor, and as long as one doesn't completely tank that doesn't matter. And if one does completely tank, well then you know it's not working and nix it then. I'm not really seeing the major pitfall compared to any other of the risks they were willing to take.
    This is kinda/sorta what Waid's World's Finest is doing (technically in-continuity but really its own thing, it's set in the past adn features the classic versions of these characters, while things in the "main universe" are going for a legacy theme). Though of coure, the fact that WF is so classic (pure Siler Age) may handicap it's attempts at feeling super-fresh.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

The man who hated legacy characters was actually the main proponent behind trying to get them off the ground. Didio's actions make sense now when you think about it. He knows the DCU is old and all these decades of contradicting and convoluted continuity turn away new readers. So, he attempted a clean slate many times, failing each time. No matter how you feel about him, you gotta applaud the man for never giving up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    This is kinda/sorta what Waid's World's Finest is doing (technically in-continuity but really its own thing, it's set in the past adn features the classic versions of these characters, while things in the "main universe" are going for a legacy theme). Though of coure, the fact that WF is so classic (pure Siler Age) may handicap it's attempts at feeling super-fresh.
    I don't think that this is the case at all considering that the villain from first arc now will be used in Batman vs Robin series that is happening in present day continuity.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Another dodged bullet, I guess.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Imagine needing a character to act as a stand in for something else because you lack the intellectual creativity to actually make your point with your story. Japan please continue to lay waste the American comic book industry, it's been a total trash heap for almost 40 years now.
    So then Grant Morrison, Alan Moore, and Gene Yang all "lack intellectual creativity"? That's the hill you're going to die on? Because those are direct examples of what DiDio was talking about, and explicitly what prompted him to say that as an answer. He was specifically talking about the famous "British Invasion" of comics, and why he felt that those creators did so well, and why those creators would always resonate with Superman while Americans typically go for Batman. Grant Morrison has even fully admitted to boiling Superman down to a stand in for multiple things. A pretty famous example being All Star Superman were he made Superman a stand-in for their dad and the general platonic ideal of a father. I mean, what else is science fiction if not allegory, and the literal use for allegory is a stand-in or commentary on the actual world we live in.

Like, I'm genuinely asking: where do you suppose ideas for stories come from if not a confluence of stand-ins of real world ****?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    So then Grant Morrison, Alan Moore, and Gene Yang all "lack intellectual creativity"? That's the hill you're going to die on? Because those are direct examples of what DiDio was talking about, and explicitly what prompted him to say that as an answer. He was specifically talking about the famous "British Invasion" of comics, and why he felt that those creators did so well, and why those creators would always resonate with Superman while Americans typically go for Batman. Grant Morrison has even fully admitted to boiling Superman down to a stand in for multiple things. A pretty famous example being All Star Superman were he made Superman a stand-in for their dad and the general platonic ideal of a father. I mean, what else is science fiction if not allegory, and the literal use for allegory is a stand-in or commentary on the actual world we live in.

Like, I'm genuinely asking: where do you suppose ideas for stories come from if not a confluence of stand-ins of real world ****?
    I don't think @world is against superman "standing in" for america in real sense..Just superman the moral authority figure that represents the ideal or nostalgia ridden picture of america..The assertions that i should be "superjesus" and strive to be that nothing else.

As i said,i am split on this.I have no problem with superman the american.But the above something i can't grasp or connect.I guess,the good and the bad come in a package.

I get the intrigue of superman compared to batman for foreign writers..if i where writer i would be striving to write superman book not batman.Cause batman doesn't grab me.

Mangas do use stand-ins..
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-29-2022 at 07:20 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"