Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Default September Book Club Nominations

With the old month winding down it's that time again...what should we read next month?
    If your choice didn't get picked last month feel free to nominate it again, or you can nominate something wholly new this month!

The only rules are that it should be a "classic" book(meaning it should be at least ten years since it was published) and that it be readily available(whether digitally or in print) at a decent price so that it's easy for others to join in.

I leave this thread open for the next three days at which point I'll take all the nominations and create a poll for the participants to vote on.

For my nomination I'm going with Richard Delgado's Age of Reptiles: The Hunt
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I just got the HC but not yet opened it, so I'll re-nominate the vote getter tied for first last month.

Metabarons by Jodorowsky

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

A little out of left field, but I'm gonna nominate Crisis on Infinite Earths.

I've been itching to re-read it since Perez' passing, but keep getting sidetracked. And I just found my still sealed Deluxe HC, so it'll be a new format to read it in.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    A little out of left field, but I'm gonna nominate Crisis on Infinite Earths.

I've been itching to re-read it since Perez' passing, but keep getting sidetracked. And I just found my still sealed Deluxe HC, so it'll be a new format to read it in.
    I recently reread the first issue(to compare to Dark Crisis #1) and it stood up pretty well all these years later.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I only recently read Crisis on Infinite Earths front to back and I was shocked it was so good. I had only read 1-2 issues before. How about Justice League International, first 10 issues? Or JSA, the Golden Age?

I'm on board with any of these.

So the current choices are...
    Richard Delgado's Age of Reptiles: The Hunt
    Crisis on Infinite Earths
    Metabarons by Jodorowsky

This may be a bit early, but we should go for a horror theme in October.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Hmm, let me nominate something, I'm thinking with the second Metrobook about to be released, I still haven't had a chance to revisit the material in the first one, I'll nominate Kurt Busiek's Astro City. To keep it simple I'll limit it to the first 6 issue mini form Image that is collected (with other material) in the recently released Astro City Metrobook vol. 1.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Astro City Life In The Big City! That’s 6 issues of pure comic goodness. I was thinking Phil Sheldon in Marvels and Jonathan Law The Golden Age were distant cousins so to speak.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Kingdom Come

X-Force: New Beginnings by Peter Milligan and Mike Allred

Locke and Key
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Hmm, let me nominate something, I'm thinking with the second Metrobook about to be released, I still haven't had a chance to revisit the material in the first one, I'll nominate Kurt Busiek's Astro City. To keep it simple I'll limit it to the first 6 issue mini form Image that is collected (with other material) in the recently released Astro City Metrobook vol. 1.

-M
    The metro book may be a bit long.

It may be better to consider the best material. We could nominate the original mini series, or the confession TPB, which also includes Nearness of You. Both of these are collected in the first metrobook.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The metro book may be a bit long.

It may be better to consider the best material. We could nominate the original mini series, or the confession TPB, which also includes Nearness of You. Both of these are collected in the first metrobook.
    I did specify the the first six issue mini that was collected in that first metrobook.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I did specify the the first six issue mini that was collected in that first metrobook.

-M
    My bad. That is a good choice.

I'll nominate Daredevil: Born Again.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'm on board with any of these.

So the current choices are...
    Richard Delgado's Age of Reptiles: The Hunt
    Crisis on Infinite Earths
    Metabarons by Jodorowsky

This may be a bit early, but we should go for a horror theme in October.
    That was specifically why I didn't go with a horror title this time around.

Voting is now open here!