Amazing Member

Default As a Comic fan did you enjoy the MCU? and what changes you would make?

I enjoy the MCU and i see it as one of the many alternative universes that exist but there is things that i dont like for example i dont like the Fantastic Four and the X-Men dont existed before the Avengers although this clearly had to do with film rights i dont like how Hank Pym is not the main Ant Man from this universe and he not created Ultron, i dont like very much the MCU versions of Spiderman Hulk and Thor i would have preferred versions closer to the 616 or at least to the Ultimate when it comes to Spidey i dont like how in this universe Mary Jane Watson dont exist and she is replaced by a Girl named Michelle Jones which is the equivalent of Mary Jane of this world i think it was a mistake to have eliminated Mary Jane as she is an important character in the Spiderman mythos lets just hope this not happen the same with Gwen Stacy, i dont like MCU Thor i prefer the mighty God warrior Thor from the comics and not the comedian Thor MCU Hulk is just Professor Hulk his character looks like Beast or the Thing more than Hulk i want Hulk to be the most feared character in Marvel clearly the MCU is not a universe faithful to 616 and i enjoy it for what it is so well the changes that i would make to the MCU is that they were more attached to the comics lets just hope the MCU versions of the X-Men and Fantastic Four are better adapted so what changes you would make?
    Last edited by JediBatman54; 08-25-2022 at 01:10 PM.

Yes I like it, It's Freaking Spider-Man on the big Screen with Captain America and The Hulk. What's not to love? What would I change? The Fans.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

For the most, the MCU works. Sure, I'd prefer to have Hank Pym in the Avengers, but considering the problems in his publication ever since hitting Janet (something the writer himself didn't intend to), we could have done a lot worse.

Mighty Member

I think a lot of it is fine, my biggest gripe is more of the media used. The issue with making movies is that they are essentially episodic, yet they've managed to make a franchise become more serialised and the issue with that comes with archival backlog.
    They are times where they've taken the comics and improved in a lot of areas (Civil War being one of them with the incidents behind CW being handled a lot better than the comics) but the overall impact is lost. Lets take Civil War again, no matter how you look at the comic, seeing these big epic fights is pretty cool. There is no limitation on budget so you can get away with a lot more. The film however had the big showdown take place in an empty airport. Plus, the MCU itself felt too afraid to give CW any lasting impact. By the next movie, it was already forgotten about. You could have an entire phrase dedicated to Civil War alone, but it was pushed aside for Thanos.
    The comics had it linger for years, Civil War being a major status quo for 4 years made the event have a bigger impact.

It's kind of cool to see these characters interact in live action, but unlike comics, actors eventually age and they can only hold a career in these movies for so long.

I guess I like the MCU in concept and in general, but I'm just tired.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

The MCU is ok. Some hits, some misses. If I could change it, I would have added Monica Rambeau (or her mother) as a founding member of the original Avengers team. I mean that scene where you see the group assembled in live action for the first time was really, REALLY cool, but seeing Photon/Spectrum there would have made it pure perfection for me.

Yes, as a fan of the comics I like the MCU. Although there is stuff I don't like:

-I think Spider-Man is too tied to Iron Man.

-Wasp (and Ant-Man) are not founding Avengers. I think Joss Whedon has said that Janet was supposed to be in the Avengers movie and that he had big plans for her.

-The Hulk went from a powerhouse to a joke.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

I wish the movies were more like the comics and the comics were less like the movies.

I never thought I'd see Doctor Strange on the big screen. And I truly doubted they would be able to pull off the metaphysical and multi-dimensional aspects of his stories.
    I also never expected Scarlet Witch, much less Agatha Harkness.

If we get a Defenders, with Doctor Strange, Hulk, Namor, Silver Surfer and Valkyrie (maybe Clea and Hellcat, too), then I'd be ecstatic.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I think I agree with all this.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Ultimate Member

As a comic fan for, like, four+ decades, I really have enjoyed the MCU (and some of the adjacent stuff, like the Netflix Marvel shows). It's had some brilliant changes that sort of streamlined things, and a few that I didn't love.

Random changes I liked;
    The Mandarin bait-and-switch. I *know* the comic book version, so *this* was indeed new and surprising, *for me,* the guy who already has seen the comic-book version, and doesn't want to see some 100% slavish recreation of what I've already read. (Since, unlike, say, an adaptation of Lord of the Rings, most comic books were not exactly high art, and some updating of the material is flat-out needed, let alone desirable.)

Iron Man's backstory changing to Afghanistan, instead of Vietnam.

Bucky having killed the Starks. Wow. Powerful and effective and fitting.

Old story elements getting new life / being adapted and used in future stories, like the scientist who failed to replicate Tony's cave breakthrough and the inventor of BARF showing up in Spider Man: Far From Home (and the BARF technology being the source of Mysterio's illusion tech). I love when they mine their own past movies for new stories, it creates a great sense of continuity, and makes the story feel more connected to what has come before (and kind of rewards the viewer who has watched all the films, to be able to recognize these familiar elements).

Random changes I disliked;
    Wasp and Pym not being in the Avengers, particularly after hearing that Joss Whedon wanted to use the Wasp, but was told she was being used by Wright's Ant-Man movie instead and was off-limits, only for Wright to never get around to it, and Peyton Reed later reveal that he'd read the original script, and *Janet wasn't even in it,* so Joss didn't get to use Wasp for no darn reason at all.

Scarlet Witch having telekinesis and vague telepathy, instead of her classic 'bad luck bolts.' (And probability powers, as Deadpool 2 showed us, can be cinematic as hell!)

Quicksilver dying. Hawkeye not dying.

Drax, after an entire joke sequence about his race not understanding metaphor, literally, calling Gamora a 'green whore.' Green? Yes. Literally true. But unless he *actually believes* that she's a prostitute, then it's utterly out of character for him to call her a whore. Killer? Sure. Assassin? Murderess? Enabler to genocide? All these things.

Every single thing about Mantis. I did not like her as a comic-book character, and, improbably, I liked her even *less* as an alien airhead who gets insulted all the time by Drax.

I adore it. Out of all the content the MCU has released to date, there are only 3 movies (and 2 shows, if we're counting the Netflix stuff) I didn't like. That's a fantastic track record. As a comic fan I feel like the MCU's pop cultural dominance is vindicating and exciting. I'm thrilled that my friends know who the likes of Captain Marvel and the Guardians of the Galaxy are; pre-MCU I wouldn't have dreamed that could be true.

As far as changes to make, I'm just along for the ride. The MCU is an AU so I'm not too precious about continuity or the changes they make to characterization/looks, etc. because that's to be expected. I would not have killed Quicksilver off or done the Bruce/Natasha "romance" but those are the only major things I can think of. For the most part, I genuinely enjoy it and am happy it exists. I feel like I'm in the minority (especially here) but I go into these things wanting to enjoy them, not bitch and moan and nitpick them to death based on my personal tastes from the comics.
    Last edited by davetvs; 08-26-2022 at 07:09 AM.

I'm not a fan of what was done with the hulk at all. Especially sharing one of his best stories with Thor.

I also don't care for Peter being Starks protege.

Iron Fist and Elektra I thought could've been much better as well.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Spectacular Member

I actually enjoyed Fox’s Marvel and still enjoy Sony’s Marvel.

I used to like the MCU but recently I find it very rinse and repeat cookie cutter, so I guess I’ve fallen out with it for now.
    I just wish they’d bring Evan Peters as Quicksilver too, Ralph Boner ruined it for me further.

Niffleheim

Avengers weren't even my favourite team but I was still entertained. I didn't watch any of the movies until the Thanos tease in the end of The Avengers.

I'm still entertained but the Disney+ shows weren't meant to be watched weekly. They're better when binged.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough