Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Is Disney a good corporate parent for Marvel?

After all the choas with Warner Bros and DC, I have to ask is Disney a good corporate parent for Marvel?

I don't like Disney, I think they are ruthless and amoral, but they are very good marketing and branding. They seem to be handle mergers better than WB.

Spectacular Member markhyperion's Avatar

Yo. They throw money at every property and just trust in those who create. From ESPN, to Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, etc. This might be the best company in the world to run Marvel.

Lets be honest. They gave a boatload of money to Marvel to create a movie based on a 3rd tier character...aka Iron Man (sorry fans he was). All based on the idea RDJ would carry it. They gambled and it worked.

Has Disney made a bad move? They made Star Wars relevant again. They made comic movies the only thi g people care about. If anyone even says a Pixar movie is bad you're shunned for life.

One bad move actually. I'm looking at you Aliens in Indy 5. Yikes

The first Iron Man movie came out before Disney bought Marvel.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

No Disney is not good. Quantity & Money doesn't necessarely equal quality. And here it's the case, quantity & money but no quality.
    For exemple the last Spider-Man movie had worst visual effects than a 15 years older Spider-Man movie that had a smaller budget.
    Planet Hulk is one of the most entertaining Hulk comics, Thor Ragnarok was one of the least entertaining superhero movie ever.

The best MCU movies are all the pre-Disney ones. Isn't that odd ?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    No Disney is not good. Quantity & Money doesn't necessarely equal quality. And here it's the case, quantity & money but no quality.
    For exemple the last Spider-Man movie had worst visual effects than a 15 years older Spider-Man movie that had a smaller budget.
    Planet Hulk is one of the most entertaining Hulk comics, Thor Ragnarok was one of the least entertaining superhero movie ever.

I hate disney as much as the next guy and I'll admit the effects on these movies are... not great.
    But can we really say the Incredible Hulk is better than some of the post Disney MCU movies?
    I mean I enjoyed it as a kid, but is it really better than Guardians of the Galaxy or Infinity War?

There's not enjoying something which I get, I'm not the biggest MCU fan, but then there's comparing over a decade's worth of film to two movies.
    If we're talking about effects, then yeah, Incredible Hulk looks better than most MCU movies. If we're talking about movies themselves, I don't think it holds up that well.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    The first Iron Man movie came out before Disney bought Marvel.
    Yeah, wasn't it distributed by Paramount? That's also why Universal having Hulk's distribution rights wasn't a problem later in 2008 when Incredible Hulk was released - it only became a problem when Disney took over Marvel. They saw out Paramount's contract, then started distributing MCU films themselves.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Well, at least it isn't Warner...

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

On the comics side, they're fairly hands off. Arguably, the resources of Disney don't help because Marvel is able to churn out an incredible amount of product and might do better if they didn't flood the market. The movie side trusts Kevin Feige. The only real area that I feel a big Disney influence is in theme attractions. But it's more of Marvel impacting Disney than the other way around.

So I would certainly say that it could be a lot worse. Marvel really hasn't been an independent company in living memory.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post

Which Pre Disney movies are we talking about??? Outside of Ironman of course.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Niffleheim

I'd say yes and no. Quality control has been thrown out the window since there was a directive to produce content to feed the beast that is Disney+
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Yes. By several metrics and in comparison to their only competition
    The J-man

Too much movie synergy, they canceled the best Avengers cartoon only to deliver a lackluster Avengers, Spider-Man, and Hulk cartoons, but as a whole I would say most people view their use of Marvel as a success.

Ultimate Member

Just to clarify, the first Marvel movie that Disney got involved in was the Avengers. And that movie was still distributed by Paramount.

Prior to that, the movies were Marvel studios movies (it was operating as an independent company then) that were being distributed by Paramount.

All this being said, Disney has overall been good. Without Disney we wouldn’t have gotten Black Panther or Captain Marvel movies because they answered to a racist and sexist madman. Ultimately, Marvel being with Disney has given them more leeway to experiment with lesser characters. I’m not sure the Infinity Saga would have been as big as it was without Disney behind them (those movies are the most expensive ever).

Also, Disney hasn’t directly interfered in the creative process of the companies they acquired (I,e Star Wars, Lucasfilm and Pixar), they simply finance and allow the creatives do their thing. Yes, they obviously have corporate targets which they pass down but the success or failures Marvel and co experience is down to each one of those companies creative choices.

The only issue I see now (and this is recent) is the mining of Marvel content for Disney+. That seems to be stretching the guys there a little thin and there seems to be a scaling back of quality control. Previously, it was a very tight ship with a rather small creative team. But now, it seems the guys making these decisions can’t oversee everything. Obviously this problem was make worse by the pandemic but I hope they tighten stuff up as they move forward.
    Last edited by Username taken; 08-27-2022 at 08:36 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by markhyperion View Post
    Yo. They throw money at every property and just trust in those who create. From ESPN, to Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, etc. This might be the best company in the world to run Marvel.

Lets be honest. They gave a boatload of money to Marvel to create a movie based on a 3rd tier character...aka Iron Man (sorry fans he was). All based on the idea RDJ would carry it. They gambled and it worked.

Has Disney made a bad move? They made Star Wars relevant again. They made comic movies the only thi g people care about. If anyone even says a Pixar movie is bad you're shunned for life.

One bad move actually. I'm looking at you Aliens in Indy 5. Yikes
    Disney had no hand in the making of Iron Man.

That movie was produced years before the merger.

It was released two years before the buyout. They bought Marvel, then promptly disposed of Power Rangers, which is ironic as Marvel is partially responsible for PR's existence via the 1978 tokusatsu Spider-Man, without which Super Sentai probably wouldn't exist, plus Marvel once published MMPR comics.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman