Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by markhyperion View Post
    Yo. They throw money at every property and just trust in those who create. From ESPN, to Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, etc. This might be the best company in the world to run Marvel.

Lets be honest. They gave a boatload of money to Marvel to create a movie based on a 3rd tier character...aka Iron Man (sorry fans he was). All based on the idea RDJ would carry it. They gambled and it worked.

Has Disney made a bad move? They made Star Wars relevant again. They made comic movies the only thi g people care about. If anyone even says a Pixar movie is bad you're shunned for life.

One bad move actually. I'm looking at you Aliens in Indy 5. Yikes
    Indy 5 hasn't yet been released but the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was distributed by Paramount Pictures not Disney.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Just to clarify, the first Marvel movie that Disney got involved in was the Avengers. And that movie was still distributed by Paramount.

Prior to that, the movies were Marvel studios movies (it was operating as an independent company then) that were being distributed by Paramount.

All this being said, Disney has overall been good. Without Disney we wouldn’t have gotten Black Panther or Captain Marvel movies because they answered to a racist and sexist madman. Ultimately, Marvel being with Disney has given them more leeway to experiment with lesser characters. I’m not sure the Infinity Saga would have been as big as it was without Disney behind them (those movies are the most expensive ever).

Also, Disney hasn’t directly interfered in the creative process of the companies they acquired (I,e Star Wars, Lucasfilm and Pixar), they simply finance and allow the creatives do their thing. Yes, they obviously have corporate targets which they pass down but the success or failures Marvel and co experience is down to each one of those companies creative choices.

The only issue I see now (and this is recent) is the mining of Marvel content for Disney+. That seems to be stretching the guys there a little thin and there seems to be a scaling back of quality control. Previously, it was a very tight ship with a rather small creative team. But now, it seems the guys making these decisions can’t oversee everything. Obviously this problem was make worse by the pandemic but I hope they tighten stuff up as they move forward.

I think a lot of people have forgotten or really don't know about Ike Perlmutter. It's a good thing eventually Kevin Feige won out over him because Perlmutter was pretty stingy about the early films' budgets. There was no love lost between the two. As you say Perlmutter was sexist and racist.....he didn't want a Black Widow movie to be made and for a long time even nixed the idea of her having an action figure. He is pals with Trump, who also has been slowly showing his racist tendencies. Trump's first wife Ivana once revealed in an interview that her then husband kept a copy of Hitler's writings given to him by a friend. It's not known if he actually read it.

Probably the one thing DC does better is their cartoons. I don't think any of the current Marvel cartoons are as popular.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-27-2022 at 09:37 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think a lot of people have forgotten or really don't know about Ike Perlmutter. It's a good thing eventually Kevin Feige won out over him because Perlmutter was pretty stingy about the early films' budgets. There was no love lost between the two. As you say Perlmutter was sexist and racist.....he didn't want a Black Widow movie to be made and for a long time even nixed the idea of her having an action figure. He is pals with Trump, who also has been slowly showing his racist tendencies. Trump's first wife Ivana once revealed in an interview that her then husband kept a copy of Hitler's writings given to him by a friend. It's not known if he actually read it.
    Yeah, Perlmutter by all accounts is a "piece of work".

He's a die-hard Trump supporter and has been filmed at Trump events. If that wasn't bad enough, this is a guy that said people won't notice Terrence Howard being replaced as War Machine "because all black people look alike". The guy was firmly against female-led superhero movies because the previous ones were "disasters".

And that's besides how "stingy" he is. As I said, I doubt the Marvel movies would have "scaled" as high as they did if he was still in charge.

Astonishing Member

From my understanding, Disney stays (or stayed) out of the creative process from the comics. If true, then they did a fine job. My only complain is that we haven't seen an alternate version of a Mickey Mouse that's bitten by a radioactive spider.

The only way Disney's interfered with the comics is by taking Big Hero Six away so they could be made into a non-Marvel branded Disney movie.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    From my understanding, Disney stays (or stayed) out of the creative process from the comics. If true, then they did a fine job. My only complain is that we haven't seen an alternate version of a Mickey Mouse that's bitten by a radioactive spider.

I think they do pay attention to Star Wars since it's mostly a unified continuity instead of something separate from the comics like the MCU (although we've certainly seen MCU influence the comics here and there-for example, anybody think it was a conincidence that we had an Amazing Spider-Man storyline with two Spider-Men at the same time No Way Home came out? Or that Norman is suddenly redeemed kind of like the Dafoe version in that movie?)

Think Ike doesn't always directly influence the comics either (especially his politics), he seems more concerned with the marketing in some ways and until Feige took control a good chunk of the movie stuff. Think his biggest impact lately was downplaying or outright cancelling Fantastic Four and X-men merchandise (and in the case of FF the comic itself) since Fox held the film rights-something that got resolved when Disney bought them. Think he primarily is concerned about money
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth