Worst: Jason Aaron

Iron Man

Best: David Michelinie / Bob Layton

Worst: Teen Tony/Hero Reborn from the 90s

Spider-Man

Best: Rodger Stern/Dan Slott/Stan Lee-Steve Ditko-John Romita

Worst: Denny O'Neil/The Clone Saga

Hulk

Best: PAD/ Al Ewing (Despite my misgivings about PAD as a writer he made so much of what the Hulk is today)

Worst: Donny Cates
    Last edited by KC; 09-26-2022 at 01:52 AM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

1) Avengers
    Best: Stern, followed by Busiek. Special notice to Byrne's Avengers West Coast.
    Worst: Austen, then Bendis (I know Aaaron's run isn't popular, but I much prefer his take of being a big kid smashing toys together than what these two did to ruin the book).

2) Iron Man
    Best: Micheline
    Worst: Gillen (the whole Tony's adopted and has a brother thing...why hasn't this been retconned yet? Has it? I'm reading the Cantwell run and nothing's come up about it, far as I remember)

3) Thor
    Best: Simonson, then Aaron.
    Worst: DeFalco

4) Captain America
    Best: Gruenwald, then Waid (with a shoutout to Brubaker and Stern & Byrne)
    Worst: Remender

5) Black Widow
    Best: Samnee/Waid, then Thompson
    Worst: Grayson

6) Hulk
    Best: David, then Pak
    Worst: Loeb, then Ewing (haven't read Cates's version)

7) Hawkeye
    Best: McCann, then Fraction
    Worst: Nicieza

X) Spider-Man - I reject Spider-Man being an Avenger at the level of these others, so I'm replacing him with one of my own.

8) She-Hulk
    Best: Byrne, then Slott
    Worst: Tamaki

9) Black Panther
    Best: Priest
    Worst: Hudlin

10) Carol Danvers
    Best: Reed, then Thompson
    Worst: DeConnick
    Last edited by Kaijudo; 09-26-2022 at 06:23 PM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Everyone just treated Arno like Gregory from 1610 and act as if Howard and Maria are still his bio parents.
    "Cable was right!"

AVENGERS
    BEST
    1. Roger Stern/AVENGERS - the stuff of legends, I'm hard pressed to find a flaw that wasn't due to outside interference. The epitome of the best of the best "establishment" heroes.

2. Kurt Busiek/AVENGERS (and THUNDERBOLTS as its sibling book symbiosis) - a throwback to the tone of Stern, I fault this run for it's misspent time on Busiek's Triune Understanding umbrella plot and misfire character additions such as Triathlon and Silverclaw.

WORST
    Liefeld/HEROES REBORN - a limited series so off the rails that the creative team had to be swapped out midway to try to salvage the "story".
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

worst: Heroes Reborn first 6+ months. Just didn't like it. Pantsless Hulk was part of that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    worst: Heroes Reborn first 6+ months. Just didn't like it. Pantsless Hulk was part of that too.
    I know, right?! The only thing that came close to being enjoyable was Heroes Reborn: Iron Man

Best - Busiek. Normally a run that tries to "remix" the greatest hits and storylines isn't well received because it's too much of a "been there, done that" sort of thing, and that there's nothing really original about the run. Busiek's Avengers run obliterates that idea, and is how you balance characterization, and put in enough new "beats" to the "remix" to make it fantastic.

Worst - Aaron's. After being a longtime reader though the Crossing, Heroes Reborn and Disassembled, Aaron did what no other Avengers writer has been able to do: make me lose interest enough to drop the title. I stopped with issue 50/750.