Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Geoff Johns vs. Mark Waid

Inspired by the Geoff Johns vs. Grant Morrison thread, I thought I would start one comparing these two writers. Both are famously known for their Flash runs as well as their love of the Silver/Bronze Age. Where I feel they differ is that Johns tends to be more predictable/by the numbers in re to his storytelling while also being more graphically violent, whereas Waid tends to be more imaginative, putting his own more optimistic spin on the classics rather than simply retelling them.

Thoughts?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

This is not a contest at all. I think that with time, humility, and respect Geoff could possibly begin to approach the level of greats like Waid, Busiek, or PAD. But right now he is Little League vs Waid's Major League Baseball

Extraordinary Member

Waid, no question. Johns is a serviceable writer who can be very good at times, but Waid is something else entirely.

Extraordinary Member

Mark Waid - and it's not even close.

Waid: "let's tell a great story that honors history and makes the characters true to who they are."

Johns: "wouldn't it be cool if" without really caring about the character. Only caring about his idea.
    Last edited by caj; 08-27-2022 at 05:36 PM.

I've liked a fair bit of Johns' writing, but I find Waid does the whole legacy and Silver Age nostalgia bit better.

Astonishing Member

Mark Waid, no contest.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    This is not a contest at all. I think that with time, humility, and respect Geoff could possibly begin to approach the level of greats like Waid, Busiek, or PAD. But right now he is Little League vs Waid's Major League Baseball
    Perfect answer, I love Waid.

He's the one that made me fall in love with Superman with Birthright, there is such a joy in his writing.

I pretty much agree. Waid's stories tend to have more sense of wonder and optimism. Johns' stories tend to retread the past and have more shock value, death, and tragedies. I feel like Waid also is more likely to reset the sandbox once he's done playing while Johns leaves things different than when he started.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Hands down Mark Waid.
    No slight against Geoff Johns as both have written stellar stories about my favourite character, but Waid is IMO a tier above damn near everyone else.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I am not a fan of either. However, Kingdom Come is one of the greatest comic stories I have ever read. I have liked some of Johns' writing, but none of it ever close close to KC.

Extraordinary Member

I was more Johns than Morrison earlier, but with the major caveat that they’re entirely different types of storytellers.

In contrast, Johns is basically in Waid’s territory style-wise, and just doesn’t match him there.

better at handling nostalgia, retcons, angst, trauma, and meta-text. Johns’s one advantage may be that he’s got Blackest Night as a great “blockbuster” comic story, and that he might accurately claim to have been even more beneficial to Green Lantern than Waid was to Flash…

…But Waid is also the dude who seemed to be able to get simpatico with others better - the fact he *can* work in excellent concert with Morrison in spite of their wildly different styles says a lot.

Plus… Waid’s not as formulaic as Johns either.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

First Morrison and now Waid?!

It would be more fair to compare Geoff Johns to Scott Snyder or Tom King, maybe James Robinson, but Waid and Morrison are legends.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    First Morrison and now Waid?!

It would be more fair to compare Geoff Johns to Scott Snyder or Tom King, maybe James Robinson, but Waid and Morrison are legends.
    Eh like someone else said Geoff vs Grant comes down purely to style and approach. Comparing Geoff to mark is probably the closest and fairest comparison. And again like some one said Wiad does the same thing Geoff does but better and I say that as someone who loves Geoff’s work. The only real mark against Waid is that he comes of as massively against change or growth mind you he also comes off as passive acceptance.

Both have their misses like Kingdom Come and and John's New 52 JL origin story but feel like Waid has kept up a more consistent quality to his work, at least of what I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Both have their misses like Kingdom Come and and John's New 52 JL origin story but feel like Waid has kept up a more consistent quality to his work, at least of what I've read.
    Interesting, I've been out of the comics scene for a while, but I don't know if I've met someone who didn't like Kingdom Come. Which is fine; there a plenty of critically acclaimed comics I don't like.

While I loved the series itself, I felt the follow-up stories were lackluster, and even took a little shine off of the original.