Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So from what I've been hearing Numenor is supposed to come off as a lot more capable and competent than they appear to be here?
    They're sort of an empire past their prime at this point that sleep walks to their own doom.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Did Tolkien have a liberal bias? I believe he insisted there were no parallels to real world conflict in his books.
    If he started his writing today, I wouldn't be surprised if he got called "woke".
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

He was definitely sort of an environmentalist.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    If he started his writing today, I wouldn't be surprised if he got called "woke".
    Definitely. There was a clear environmentalist theme in his works.

I mean, Neil Gaiman was getting attacked by the right-wingers for stuff he wrote decades ago and oversaw the production of. I mean, people were attacking him for the casting choices he made over his own work.

It's just wild.

So from what I've been hearing Numenor is supposed to come off as a lot more capable and competent than they appear to be here?
    I mean, maybe down the line once they have some battle tested troops and what not (considering Numenorians live centuries themselves), I could see it. But otherwise, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    They're sort of an empire past their prime at this point that sleep walks to their own doom.
    They're not an empire yet in the series. They haven't left Numenor yet.

That would explain them training troops in a marketplace instead of...like, anywhere actually appropriate .

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    They're not an empire yet in the series. They haven't left Numenor yet.
    They are a pretty nice city, though, and I can see why they were happy just being isolationists. But the queen kept having that disastrous vision and then Galadriel shows up.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

What does that even mean?
    "Elf workers, taking our trades. Elf ships on our shores." - What does that sort of blatant overreaction racism say to you? It seems very real world familiar to me. No thanks, I'm not interested in a poorly veiled fantasy allegory. If you are, more power to you. I'm out.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

Weren't the Elves instrumental in stopping Morgoth and saving Middle Earth the first time around?
    Also, they did make things, but that rarely turned out well...

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    "Elf workers, taking our trades. Elf ships on our shores." - What does that sort of blatant overreaction racism say to you? It seems very real world familiar to me. No thanks, I'm not interested in a poorly veiled fantasy allegory. If you are, more power to you. I'm out.
    Well, aside from the friendship with Kazad-Dum, Elf-Dwarf relationships tended more like that in the Hobbit; where war could break out.

Not sarcasm. Just a snowflake looking to be offended. Oh well.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

This episode was great it finally is starting to feel like the movies puts HOD to shame.

Just watched 3 & 4.

"They took our jerbs" South Park vibes, But from the presence of one elf???

Why the misdirection humor scene of making it look like the brother was rushing to meet the pretty girl (later revealed as his sister) with love. But was actually to his horse instead.

Why the hell would the elf released by the orc/elf leader* (*I liked this character) to deliver a message, Be given all his arms and weapons, and then be hunted down by the very same orcs???????????? Do they want him to deliver the message or not? And where the hell did his bow go to when he left the trees??

Why, why do they keep adding more characters? The story's going too slow as it is. They condensed the centuries, but are extending the hours. It's starting to get a little dull in parts.

I think the most recent episode was pretty great. I am enjoying this show more than House of the Dragon.
    On this week's Nielsen streaming chart, The Rings of Power is #1