Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The Rings Of Power. Wait, come back! It has the Tolkien seal of approval!

Well by now you have seen the last trailer. It gives me the feeling of riding in a Mercedes. Everything is lush and expensive and you don't feel a thing. Yet I will still watch the first two episodes.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I got tickets to see it in movie theaters

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Well by now you have seen the last trailer. It gives me the feeling of riding in a Mercedes. Everything is lush and expensive and you don't feel a thing. Yet I will still watch the first two episodes.
    Based on the Silmarillion. So, it's an anthology and a prequel. Apparently, they paid hundreds of millions for the rights and will be paying that much again to produce five seasons. They better hope it doesn't flop.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Based on the Silmarillion. So, it's an anthology and a prequel. Apparently, they paid hundreds of millions for the rights and will be paying that much again to produce five seasons. They better hope it doesn't flop.
    It uses no real material from the Silmarillion, it's based on the appendix from the Return of the King
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Niffleheim

Hopefully the story will be how the nine men succumbed to the power of the rings and became the Nazgul and I want to say I'm looking forward to seeing Galadriel but if it isn't Cate Blanchett it will take me time or I might never get used to the new actress that will be playing her.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Hopefully the story will be how the nine men succumbed to the power of the rings and became the Nazgul and I want to say I'm looking forward to seeing Galadriel but if it isn't Cate Blanchett it will take me time or I might never get used to the new actress that will be playing her.
    One thing I have heard; it is not Cate Blanchett.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It uses no real material from the Silmarillion, it's based on the appendix from the Return of the King
    Isn't that Annatar Lord of Gifts in the trailer? That's from the Silmarillion right?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    And Bezos had a direct hand in this series too. Not only did he negotiate for the rights, he is also active in the production. He sees it as a tentpole show. Hence the money being thrown at it.

I've hear a lot of terrible things about this series, fortunately, I like unintended comedies, so, if it is good or bad I win either way.

All jokes aside, Amazon has a good track record with fantasy/sci-fi from American Gods to Upload to Paper Girls so I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I can hardly wait for the premiere.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    This is what I want to see as well. Other than a few "facts" about the Witch King of Angmar and Khamûl the Easterling, the Nazgul are a complete mystery.
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-28-2022 at 11:01 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member

So far, the series is getting very, very, VERY good reviews.

In fact, I'm hearing words like "masterpiece" being used to describe it.

Since it cost a billion dollars or something, it should be a masterpiece.

I watched the premiere yesterday in Leicester Square. I have to say I liked it more than I thought I would!

I'm a fan of the movies; I've never really been able to get into the books. So I have no loyalty to the original source material. So if things are added or changed, I won't care because I won't know.

That last trailer made me a bit wary, but I will be watching this. I do hope it's good.

No idea what to expect from this, but I'm not expecting the Lord Of The Rings feels - even The Hobbit couldn't muster that. Probably we're looking at something like The Witcher and Sandman level of aggressively mediocre no-complaints-but-no-real-heights-either streaming content. But we'll see, won't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    So far, the series is getting very, very, VERY good reviews.

In fact, I'm hearing words like "masterpiece" being used to describe it.

Since it cost a billion dollars or something, it should be a masterpiece.
    Money very rarely= masterpiece.