Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    Is this any good? I thought of buying Amazon Prime to see it, but....

everyone I know tells me it's garbage and not worth the watch?
    It has ups and downs, like every show. Some of the best, consistently, have been between Elrond and Durin. And the last episode was the best of the season so far.

But in short; this is a Tolkien based series, so don't expect the hardcore edginess of Game of Thrones in this. But it certainly has its own dark elements. So, I can only say "give it a shot". If nothing else, if its not to your liking, there's still The Boys, Invincible, and Legend of Vox Machina (also a fantasy series, but far different from Tolkien and Martin).

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    It has ups and downs, like every show. Some of the best, consistently, have been between Elrond and Durin. And the last episode was the best of the season so far.

But in short; this is a Tolkien based series, so don't expect the hardcore edginess of Game of Thrones in this. But it certainly has its own dark elements. So, I can only say "give it a shot". If nothing else, if its not to your liking, there's still The Boys, Invincible, and Legend of Vox Machina (also a fantasy series, but far different from Tolkien and Martin).
    Ok maybe I'll give it a shot. I heard it was very long winded and dry, but....

I'm a Tolkien fan, and have always wanted to see a story of the other two wizards that go into the far east and aid in trying to up spur the rise of Sauron. I'd also like to see the rise of Anor & kingdom of the North.

(This might all be early third age though? I'm not up on my Tolkien lore these days)

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Come to think of it, could the Weefolk story be in a different era?
    Today's episode kind of put that idea to rest, as some of Doom's debris wrecked the grove (for a while). They also sort of confirm that Doom was active in the past but inactive until now.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I expect that was all we are going to see of the Balrog for some time. So, it seems it will be Durin's fault when he insists to dig.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Ok maybe I'll give it a shot. I heard it was very long winded and dry, but....

I'm a Tolkien fan, and have always wanted to see a story of the other two wizards that go into the far east and aid in trying to up spur the rise of Sauron. I'd also like to see the rise of Anor & kingdom of the North.

(This might all be early third age though? I'm not up on my Tolkien lore these days)
    Second Age. This is the set up, and lead up, to the Last Alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    I expect that was all we are going to see of the Balrog for some time. So, it seems it will be Durin's fault when he insists to dig.
    Durin VI is the one that hits the Balrog. So, got 2 more Durins to go.

Is this any good? I thought of buying Amazon Prime to see it, but....

everyone I know tells me it's garbage and not worth the watch?
    No worries, it's not crappy like the last few Depeche albums.

The show has solid production and some pretty good actors (Particularly, young Elrond, Adar, and Durin & his wife). The show has gradual build-up, but has been paying off the last two episodes. It's a solid prequel to the entire LOTR film franchise, IMO. And I'm assuming the series will get better with subsequent seasons....I have a coworker who was dubious to watch it due to negative comments online. I told him to give it a chance and he likes it a lot more than I do.

Just watched episode 5.

This isn't Tolkien's world and it makes no sense.

In Tolkien's Middle Earth half the elves have never seen the light of Valinor. They never left Middle earth in the first place from where they were created. So how how can they be about to die from the lack of this light? The ones whom have never been to Valinor should already be dead thousands of years ago!

Numenor is completely illogical. What do their navy do? Sail around and around the island until they get dizzy? Why do they have so few ships? Why do they contain explosive liquids? Why isn't one of the arches larger so the ships can be made larger? There's been peace in Middle earth for five hundred years or so. So why aren't they already trading with it? This should be the reason they're going to war! The Numenorians are trading with the Southlands for various crops which grow better there and more cheaply than back on their island. The orcs arise, destroy the crops attack the port. The Numenorians must act!!!

Instead we have this story as if written by children.

There's no way those small ships can hold a hundred men! Half is more likely, but if they do have 50, 60 men on board then, they can't have any horses as well. Instead maybe ten horses with three dozen men; you need a dozen men to sail the boat to begin with.

Why are the Orcs carrying all those torches? They can see in the dark! Yes we can now see their numbers, but having a long serpent of bestial chanting soldiers carrying tall spears and shields*, ghostly and blue in the moonlight would look much more intimidating. This just looks like a crowd of Richard Spencers. All we need is for them to recite limply "We, shall not, be, replaced!" Are they going to storm into a largely empty Capitol building in the next episode? Where's the threat and menace? I should be looking at these orcs and thinking "Oh Hell! The good guys are so dead!"

*Why are there no shields? Unless you have full plate armour you need shields. That's what the Numenorians should be training with. Shields and heavy wooden swords like the Romans did. And just because that guy cut Galadriel's arm doesn't make him a good commander. This is a nitpick, but Leftenant/Lieutenant is a rank dating from the age of gun powder. When there wasn't a proper officer around, the best man was "left in tenancy" of command; hence leftenant or lieutenant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    No worries, it's not crappy like the last few Depeche albums.

The show has solid production and some pretty good actors (Particularly, young Elrond, Adar, and Durin & his wife). The show has gradual build-up, but has been paying off the last two episodes. It's a solid prequel to the entire LOTR film franchise, IMO. And I'm assuming the series will get better with subsequent seasons....I have a coworker who was dubious to watch it due to negative comments online. I told him to give it a chance and he likes it a lot more than I do.
    Lol, I do need to change my avatar. Nice that someone recognized it.

Part of me was wanting to hear negative comments on it, just so I didn't have to sign up for her another streaming subscription, but the forum has convinced me to check it out.

Lol, I do need to change my avatar. Nice that someone recognized it.

Part of me was wanting to hear negative comments on it, just so I didn't have to sign up for her another streaming subscription, but the forum has convinced me to check it out.

"Violator" is one of the greatest albums of all-time, I suggest you keep the avatar.

Prime is worth getting due to Rings of Power, The Boys, Invincible, etc....Plus, you get the perks of Amazon Prime shipping and such, in regard to various purchasing possibilities.

Thoughts on the #RingsOfPower s1e7 "The Eye" . Spoilers follow ...

1. Full disclosure: Tho I did read The Hobbit, Fellowship Of The Ring, The Two Towers, Return Of The King, and attempted The Simillarion ... all exactly once back in grade school.

After that, got hooked on #Dragonlance (Krynn felt like a much more basic but far more digestible version of Middle-Earth).

All of which to say: I'm no expert at all on things Tolkien, despite once consuming the books and the movies, but I am still generally aware of and interested in the I.P.

So I guess I'm right in the target demographic for this show. Because it is hitting its stride right now.

2. At this point, The Stranger has to be a scrambled Ishtari wizard.

Maybe young Saruman, young Radagast, one of the Blue Wizards, an entirely new character, or still possibly even young Gandalf himself (although that last choice would not speak well on the show's ability to trust in its newer characters to catch on with the audience). He's not a villain. Definitely not Sauron.

3. Galadriel counseling Theo not to give in his darker urges for vengeance is really rich coming from her.

She who just last episode was honestly threatening to murder all Adar's children before she killed him. A tad hypocritical to give advice of which you yourself clearly haven't taken a single drop.

4. The three, uh, "cultists" are emerging as the clearest-cut villains in this show.

Completely mysterious so far, but definitely ill-willed without saying a word. Wonder what they want with The Stranger?

5. Adar won. He gave the Uruk their promised homeland free of sunlight. Seeing the map change from "The Southlands" to "Mordor" onscreen was a little on the nose, but still chilling to witness.

6. Isildur is obviously not dead.

Not because I know or remember anything about that name from the books or movies (I don't), but because we spent way too much time with that annoying himbo not to have a dramatic death scene for him.

No body = still alive.

7. Still not feeling the Harfoots.

They weirdly feel like cockroaches, scurrying along to avoid detection and never deviating from their path. At least them going against their nature and trekking after The Stranger to help him reminded me a little of Frodo's hobbits.

8. NGL, I was happy to see the new (secretly original?) family of Theo, Bronwyn, and Arondir reunited.

Still want to see Theo's ears out from under his hair.

9. Totally forgot that Elrond is only half-Elven.
    Which seems weird that he's so accepted by Elvish society?

10. Durin IV's conflict with Durin III (and Disa's subsequently fierce support of her husband D4) struck a personal nerve with me.

11. Can someone explain to me why the "Halbrand is really Sauron" theory is so prevalent?

I've seen it mentioned elsewhere and am just having trouble connecting the dots (not being that familiar with the lore).

And probably everyone else who's ever had to argue to prove themselves to their parents. Brought back some memories I'm so glad are left in the past.

Bottom line: There is no shortage of rootable protagonists in #ROP (unlike its equally watchable rival over on #HOTD) but this show's overreliance on mystery will come back to bite it sooner or later. Regardless, I'm having a ball watching.

Grade (of enjoyment): 8/10.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Thoughts on the #RingsOfPower s1e7 "The Eye" . Spoilers follow ...

1. Full disclosure: Tho I did read The Hobbit, Fellowship Of The Ring, The Two Towers, Return Of The King, and attempted The Simillarion ... all exactly once back in grade school.

After that, got hooked on #Dragonlance (Krynn felt like a much more basic but far more digestible version of Middle-Earth).

All of which to say: I'm no expert at all on things Tolkien, despite once consuming the books and the movies, but I am still generally aware of and interested in the I.P.

11. Can someone explain to me why the "Halbrand is really Sauron" theory is so prevalent?

I've seen it mentioned elsewhere and am just having trouble connecting the dots (not being that familiar with the lore).

I'm somewhat similar. I read The Hobbit & Return of the King when I was 7-8yrs old, then read Dragonlance a few years later. DL was a decent series for 10-15yr olds (Definitely not as well-written as Tolkien's works, and rode off Tolkien's foundation), although almost anything outside of Weis/Hickman was garbage.

I can't say why others are suspicious of Halbrand being Sauron, but it could make sense. Sauron likely has the power to locate Galadriel and orchestrate them running into one another at sea (Far more believable than Galadriel randomly running into the Southland King at sea), and it was odd how the other humans perished while Halbrand nonchalantly survived.....Of course, there are various elements of the storyline which dispel the Sauron-is-Halbrand theory, but we'll see.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    9. Totally forgot that Elrond is only half-Elven.
    Which seems weird that he's so accepted by Elvish society?
    In the first or second episode, IIRC, Elrond was told that he was no longer welcome at council meetings or something because they were only for those of pure blood, or something, which, since he's literally the only half-elf in existence, pretty much means 'everyone but YOU.' Definitely a dick move, but since we know that a thousand years later he rules one of the two remaining elven lands in Middle-Earth (and Galadriel the other!), I guess he gets the last laugh over Gil-Galad.

Astonishing Member

I can't help feeling that I'm rooting for Sauron, Adar and the Orcs as the humans are so obnoxious as individuals. The orcs are just screwed over slaves and need redemption. Like the Dwarves though. The Elves are like a bunch of South Hampton wussies. We are so special, blah, blah.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Durin VI is the one that hits the Balrog. So, got 2 more Durins to go.
    Maybe the Balrog is there and the Mithril is it's prison? The constant mining of it weakens it enough for it to escape? The King is hiding something and this may be it.