Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    You could make it work.

But it would have cut-off from the original text and veer into your own thing.

I assume your going with the “two ring” plan which would have been what Sauron wanted. It could play out like an alternate timeline.
    Oh yeah. I have too much respect for Tolkien's work to do anything else. Plus, I detest fan stories in which new characters are introduced and/or a pivotal event unfolds differently yet the story is canon copy & paste with only a few minor changes usually a self-insert doing what the hero or heroes would otherwise do, like WTH!? Such an approach is both lazy and disrespectful.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Already been done, actually. Recently watched a youtube video that did a deep dive on the Elven Lords (a LOT of family connections there). Kind of have to go back, a LONG time, but the Silvan King of Elves (think Legolas and his kin, but WAY before they were born) Elu Thingol married Melian, an Ainu of the Maiar. They were ancestors to Elrond, and thus Arwen. And, technically to Aragorn, but by the time Aragorn comes around, even for how long lived the Dunedain are, they are very distantly related (through Elrond's brother, the first king of Numenor).

...Yeah. That's just the tip of the iceberg.
    Thanks, I had totally forgotten about that.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Thanks, I had totally forgotten about that.
    Honestly, I had just watched that video yesterday. Some cool stuff out there.

Looking at the cast I like that they've thrown a Silvan elf in there to watch over the land of Harad.

The fall of Harad the Corsicans and the rise of the Black Numenoreons could be a movie in itself.

So I wonder if they'll introduce the third Elf ring bearer apart from Galadrial and Gil-Galad (Cirdan) or switch things up by having it be Elrond (Who eventually inherits Gil-Galad's ring after his death I think) or have Gandalf get it early.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Niffleheim

"Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    So I wonder if they'll introduce the third Elf ring bearer apart from Galadrial and Gil-Galad (Cirdan) or switch things up by having it be Elrond (Who eventually inherits Gil-Galad's ring after his death I think) or have Gandalf get it early.
    They answered a question about Cirdan. They said he'll be part of the journey going forward and they have already cast an actor to play him in season 2.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Thoughts on #RingsOfPower s1e8 "Alloy" and the overall season. Spoilers follow ...

1. The real Sauron was the Halbrand we made along the way.

I wish I could hear from viewers of #ROP who didn't know about the book lore regarding Sauron's history (and didn't go around the internet asking about it, like yours truly did), but I'll ask everyone here:

How satisfying was that reveal to you?

Did the show itself establish enough about Sauron for the Halbrand reveal to make sense upon rewatch?

Or was it relying maybe a bit too much on the viewers already having the book lore (or friends with access to it) to fill in the missing pieces?

I liked Halbrand, and hope we get to see more of his Sauron's perspective if / when there is a season 2.

2. So the Stranger IS Gandalf ... right?

IIRC, the name "Gandalf" never is uttered, but the way the Stranger talked once his mind finally got unscrambled, twas all too easy to imagine Sir Ian saying those same lines (shades of Ewan channeling Sir Alec).

I really hope this isn't a red herring, and this then turns out to be Young(er) Saruman before he goes evil. That would suck IMO.

3. Farewell, Sadoc.

Why couldn't one of the other non-Nori Harfoots die instead, if any of them had to die at all?

Really dislike that one of the very few POC characters on this show (in a franchise previously notorious for its disconcerting racial undertones) had to be the sacrificial lamb here.

4. Did we really not see Isildur, like, at all this episode?

Guess they're going to wait till next season to show that our Jon Snow counterpart is alive and well.

5. Elendilf x Miriel.

Seems like a doomed affair, but am here for it.

6. So, what does Elrond know?

That Halbrand is merely some enemy ... Or did he wordlessly figure out the Sauron connection?

7. No Durin / Disa, and no Arondir/ Bronwyn / Theo at all in this episode either.

I mean, I guess you could make the case that Arondir and Co' s arc has hit a plateau until at least next season, but it felt like there was more to go with Durin and Disa. Missed both parties.

8. The Eastern land of Ruin is technically not Middle-Earth, right?

If Gandalf(?) and Nori have their side-quest adventures in that place, is this an attempt to keep the show continuity more in line with book continuity (Gandalf not taking part in Middle Earth battles until much later)?

9. If there's a season 2, we're definitely getting Sauron vs Adar for control of Mordor.

Mordor was Sauron's idea, but it was Adar's dream. Can't imagine either can allow the other to exist there.

10. The battle with the Cultists was worth the wait ... too bad we know nothing of them other than they're servants of Sauron who foolishly stalked the wrong guy.

Feels like a LOT more could have been done with them.

Bottom line: This whole season, Galadriel felt like this show's closest counterpart to Ned Stark: the clear protagonist with the best motives who ultimately got outplayed by a far more devious opponent (thankfully she lives). I really dug this show, but the pacing took a REALLY long time to get going ... but the latter episodes won me over.

It's not the greatest thing ever, but nor is it any kind of disappointment either. It may not be great, but it's very good.

And I think that next season will be better, now that the groundwork has been laid.

Grade (s1e8): 8/10
    Season 1: 7/10

Erase everything I've said before it gets quoted.

Episode 2 was great, a gem of a show so far, I'm sure my opinion will change but for now.... the critics be damned

I've got to edit my post again, just finished episode 3, (binge watching) this is the best show I've seen in years.

The blue screen and set design for Numenor is amazing!
    Last edited by Captain Nostalgia; 10-15-2022 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Thoughts on #RingsOfPower s1e8 "Alloy" and the overall season. Spoilers follow ...

1. The real Sauron was the Halbrand we made along the way.

I wish I could hear from viewers of #ROP who didn't know about the book lore regarding Sauron's history (and didn't go around the internet asking about it, like yours truly did), but I'll ask everyone here:

How satisfying was that reveal to you?

Did the show itself establish enough about Sauron for the Halbrand reveal to make sense upon rewatch?

Or was it relying maybe a bit too much on the viewers already having the book lore (or friends with access to it) to fill in the missing pieces?

I liked Halbrand, and hope we get to see more of his Sauron's perspective if / when there is a season 2.

2. So the Stranger IS Gandalf ... right?

IIRC, the name "Gandalf" never is uttered, but the way the Stranger talked once his mind finally got unscrambled, twas all too easy to imagine Sir Ian saying those same lines (shades of Ewan channeling Sir Alec).

I really hope this isn't a red herring, and this then turns out to be Young(er) Saruman before he goes evil. That would suck IMO.

3. Farewell, Sadoc.

Why couldn't one of the other non-Nori Harfoots die instead, if any of them had to die at all?

Really dislike that one of the very few POC characters on this show (in a franchise previously notorious for its disconcerting racial undertones) had to be the sacrificial lamb here.

4. Did we really not see Isildur, like, at all this episode?

Guess they're going to wait till next season to show that our Jon Snow counterpart is alive and well.

5. Elendilf x Miriel.

Seems like a doomed affair, but am here for it.

6. So, what does Elrond know?

That Halbrand is merely some enemy ... Or did he wordlessly figure out the Sauron connection?

7. No Durin / Disa, and no Arondir/ Bronwyn / Theo at all in this episode either.

I mean, I guess you could make the case that Arondir and Co' s arc has hit a plateau until at least next season, but it felt like there was more to go with Durin and Disa. Missed both parties.

8. The Eastern land of Ruin is technically not Middle-Earth, right?

If Gandalf(?) and Nori have their side-quest adventures in that place, is this an attempt to keep the show continuity more in line with book continuity (Gandalf not taking part in Middle Earth battles until much later)?

9. If there's a season 2, we're definitely getting Sauron vs Adar for control of Mordor.

Mordor was Sauron's idea, but it was Adar's dream. Can't imagine either can allow the other to exist there.

10. The battle with the Cultists was worth the wait ... too bad we know nothing of them other than they're servants of Sauron who foolishly stalked the wrong guy.

Feels like a LOT more could have been done with them.

Bottom line: This whole season, Galadriel felt like this show's closest counterpart to Ned Stark: the clear protagonist with the best motives who ultimately got outplayed by a far more devious opponent (thankfully she lives). I really dug this show, but the pacing took a REALLY long time to get going ... but the latter episodes won me over.

It's not the greatest thing ever, but nor is it any kind of disappointment either. It may not be great, but it's very good.

And I think that next season will be better, now that the groundwork has been laid.

Grade (s1e8): 8/10
    Season 1: 7/10
    Halbrand as Sauron, yeah. Not a fan. The wizard being Gandalf? Yeah. But just a head's up on that part; Gandalf has been known by MANY names over the years, and by many peoples. So him not being called "Gandalf" is fine. And considering he's the only wizard/being in higher power that not only pays attention to, but likes the Hobbits, this at least gives his love of the people some backstory.

Well I super-enjoyed that episode and the forging of the rings, introduction to Sauron and the Gandalf reveal. My favorite part was mama Harfoot bonking crewcut cult member with a stone. Damned if hobbits couldn't start a Middle Earth baseball league with their stone tossing and frying pan skills.

Really looking forward to next season.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Overall I thought this series took 8 episodes to get good. First 7 episodes were very boring, but the 8th was good. Still not sure where all the money went. There weren’t a lot of big battle scenes or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Overall I thought this series took 8 episodes to get good. First 7 episodes were very boring, but the 8th was good. Still not sure where all the money went. There weren’t a lot of big battle scenes or anything.
    I guess it counts as a success if people don’t notice that the sets and most of the landscapes are not real.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Well I super-enjoyed that episode and the forging of the rings, introduction to Sauron and the Gandalf reveal. My favorite part was mama Harfoot bonking crewcut cult member with a stone. Damned if hobbits couldn't start a Middle Earth baseball league with their stone tossing and frying pan skills.

Really looking forward to next season.
    The Hobbit have always played by prison rules - even the forces of the dark lords aren’t ready for the sheer amount of dirty fighting the halflings do. They’ll beat you with rocks and pans if they have to, but turn your back on a hobbit with a sword and they’ll just jump on it and start stabbing.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Incredible Member

Read The Hobbit and Lord of Rings multiple times. But could never get into The Silmarillion as I find it mostly impenetrable so I probably fairly ignorant as to the lore relevant to this show. But I mostly enjoyed the show on its own terms with the last two episodes being by far the best of the season. Will certainly tune in for the next season.