Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    So I'm guessing the sword belongs to Morgoth? Also the glowing thing In the box is the Arkenstone?
    I believe so, it does fit.

I think it is a chunk of Mithril considering we are in what will become Moria.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    So I'm guessing the sword belongs to Morgoth? Also the glowing thing In the box is the Arkenstone?
    Seemed too small to be Morgoth's he was described as being huge. Probably something related to Sauron as he's the main antagonist here.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

If that's Sauron, the hobbits trying to give him some chicken soup is a little silly. If I met a guy whose yell, kills everything around him, I'm out of there.

So Galadriel was going to swim the equivalent of the Atlantic ocean? Was that in the Tolkien books?

Also everyone have to wear a fancy bathrobe? Can anyone just wear a pair of pants and a shirt?

Last, why do the dwarves have to be portrayed with gross faces that are obviously blobs of makeup goo? Can't they just look like normal faces?

Otherwise, it was entertaining. I'll stick with it. Not as bad as the Hobbit movies.

The portal to Valinor - kind of lame. Should have been a TSA checkpoint.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Seemed too small to be Morgoth's he was described as being huge. Probably something related to Sauron as he's the main antagonist here.
    Yeah, seems like it's gotta be a Ring of Power, since they're in the title of the show and all.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

First two episodes were all right- not terrible, not can't miss TV. My last contact with Lord of the Rings was Return of the King nearly 20 years ago, and I've never read the books, so I have no details to nitpick, but also not too many reasons to be invested yet, apart from great visuals, easily better than almost everything ever on TV- but with that budget, that was a given.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, seems like it's gotta be a Ring of Power, since they're in the title of the show and all.
    Maybe a precursor to them, the rings of power are rings and that's some kind of staff.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Niffleheim

I don't get the uproar this show has created but it was ok. The acting was sufficient, nobody outstanding. The pacing is probably my only criticism and I see myself continuing to watching the show.

I'm used to an ethereal and still Galadriel but here she is a warrior and a commander.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Astonishing Member

She chilled on the warrior theme when she more up in the executive ranks. Send some humans, elves, hobbits, dwarves, wizards to walk up to the volcano. I'll stay home watch cable magic fountain streaming.

If need be, I can always beam through the shining portal to my gated community, which is vaguely female organ - as compared to flaming evil female organ on a tower.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I don't get the uproar this show has created but it was ok. The acting was sufficient, nobody outstanding. The pacing is probably my only criticism and I see myself continuing to watching the show.

I'm used to an ethereal and still Galadriel but here she is a warrior and a commander.
    In the books, she was like she was in the movie version of LoTR, with perhaps a bit of this characterization early on (Sillmarilllion era) in that she was quite eager to go to ME. She was depicted as being very powerful, but never a warrior. She was as you say, very ethereal to mortals at least. She never fought Sauron, and would have lost if she had, (directly, that is). Which isn't to say Sauron and even his boss Morgoth haven't had their butts kicked, they did. Multiple times. Those eagles for example were MUCH more useful in The Silmarillion than they were later, and the actual warrior elves were much more powerful and badass. And Sauron probably had a phobia about dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    In the books, she was like she was in the movie version of LoTR, with perhaps a bit of this characterization early on (Sillmarilllion era) in that she was quite eager to go to ME. She was depicted as being very powerful, but never a warrior. She was as you say, very ethereal to mortals at least. She never fought Sauron, and would have lost if she had, (directly, that is). Which isn't to say Sauron and even his boss Morgoth haven't had their butts kicked, they did. Multiple times. Those eagles for example were MUCH more useful in The Silmarillion than they were later, and the actual warrior elves were much more powerful and badass. And Sauron probably had a phobia about dogs.
    Yeah, they changed her character completely for the Ring of Power which is my main gripe with the series so far. Coming from an Anime/Manga fandom background I do not understand why they couldn't have kept her primarily as a magic user. Maybe the effects budget wasn't there, or they were worried an overuse of CGI would look bad for her scenes. I hope the motivation wasn't born out of a wrong-headed idea to make her "a strong female character" via swashbuckling action because she was already one of the strongest beings in Middle Earth (at that time) due to her magical powers. Whatever the case, I don't like the change.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-04-2022 at 08:56 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Yeah, they changed her character completely for the Ring of Power which is my main gripe with the series so far. Coming from an Anime/Manga fandom background I do not understand why they couldn't have kept her primarily as a magic user. Maybe the effects budget wasn't there, or they were worried an overuse of CGI would look bad for her scenes. I hope the motivation wasn't born out of a wrong-headed idea to make her "a strong female character" via swashbuckling action because she was already one of the strongest beings in Middle Earth (at that time) due to her magical powers. Whatever the case, I don't like the change.
    Might have been the actress. Blanchett was totally believable as the character, hewing very close to the books, but bringing her to life for the viewers. Maybe the new one couldn't pull off the gravitas that Blanchett did? Anyway, don't know why, but it is noticeable and distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    It's more a matter of this was how she was at this point in time, Tolkien wrote her as a fierce warrior in the earlier ages.

'Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power' becomes Amazon's most-watched premiere ever with 25 million viewers
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...rs/ar-AA11rrRs

I think the first two episodes are slightly better than the first two episodes of House of the Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's more a matter of this was how she was at this point in time, Tolkien wrote her as a fierce warrior in the earlier ages.
    I honestly don't recall him doing so (and I've read every book the man wrote including the incomplete works). He wrote her as a powerful sorceress but not as a sword & shield-wielding warrior. Her as a warrior at this or any other point would be like young Gandalf busting out karate moves instead of casting spells.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-04-2022 at 02:50 PM.

Just watched the first ep. Maybe because I am not immersed in Tolkien's writings beyond LOTR, I am not thrown off by what accommodations they made with the material they have license for. But I enjoyed it, it is obviously a gorgeous show, and I am intrigued by some of the characters. I must say I am far more interested in this show after one episode than I was with House of Dragons.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!