Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

I’m no expert but pretty sure Tolkien’s authorial intent was that Galadriel would DPS down orcs from the back rank while Boromir tanks damage with Aragorn casting “healing hands”.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I’m no expert but pretty sure Tolkien’s authorial intent was that Galadriel would DPS down orcs from the back rank while Boromir tanks damage with Aragorn casting “healing hands”.
    I have no idea what any of that means. I get the LOTR references, but other than that????
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Aragorn is clearly the ranger/rogue not a healer. Come on man.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I have no idea what any of that means. I get the LOTR references, but other than that????
    He is referring to the video game trinity of Tank, Healer and DPS(damage per second).

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    He is referring to the video game trinity of Tank, Healer and DPS(damage per second).
    Thanks, I am not a gamer.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Thanks, I am not a gamer.
    I'm glad there's someone else who didn't know that.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I honestly don't recall him doing so (and I've read every book the man wrote including the incomplete works). He wrote her as a powerful sorceress but not as a sword & shield-wielding warrior. Her as a warrior at this or any other point would be like young Gandalf busting out karate moves instead of casting spells.
    She was only written as a sorceress in Lord of the Rings, in the Silmarillion and the Unfinished Tales she was described as an amazon, unrivaled in sport and her nickname was Nerwen which meant man maiden.

That she's a warrior is literally only surprising to folks who only saw the movies.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    She was only written as a sorceress in Lord of the Rings, in the Silmarillion and the Unfinished Tales she was described as an amazon, unrivaled in sport and her nickname was Nerwen which meant man maiden.

That she's a warrior is literally only surprising to folks who only saw the movies.
    The "Amazon" bit meant her height and beauty not prowess with a sword and shield. She could use magic offensively no doubt but I see no evidence she was a ninja. She was a magic user an exceedingly mightily one but not a sword-wielding warrior. There are a few vague passages I've seen bantered about to "prove" she was a warrior, however, they are so vague the meaning could literally be anything from offensive magic use to hitting someone with a big stick.

Also, she was not in Middle Earth for so long to get revenge on Sauron but rather because of the "Kinslaying" see the tragedy of Fëanor and his sons.

Plus, a werewolf killed her brother, not Sauron directly. And her brother and Sauron battled each other with magic (via musical words like a mystical rap battle lol) not swords at one point, just saying.

Well, it is surprising to me and I've seen more than the movies a lot more.

Edit - Anyhow, I liked everything but that aspect of the series. It was solid but not fantastic, IMHO.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-04-2022 at 08:40 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member

The "Amazon" bit meant her height and beauty not prowess with a sword and shield. She could use magic offensively no doubt but I see no evidence she was a ninja. She was a magic user an exceedingly mightily one but not a sword-wielding warrior. There are a few vague passages I've seen bantered about to "prove" she was a warrior, however, they are so vague the meaning could literally be anything from offensive magic use to hitting someone with a big stick.

Also, she was not in Middle Earth for so long to get revenge on Sauron but rather because of the "Kinslaying" see the tragedy of Fëanor and his sons.

Plus, a werewolf killed her brother, not Sauron directly. And her brother and Sauron battled each other with magic (via musical words like a mystical rap battle lol) not swords at one point, just saying.

Edit - Anyhow, I liked everything but that aspect of the series. It was solid but not fantastic, IMHO.
    I'm not so familiar with Lord of the Rings lore, to be honest, but didn't Galadriel learn her magic from somewhere?

I recall her "base" ability being that she could read minds.

I know she was stated to be very tall (around 6'4 or something) and was very aggressive in youth but I thought she learned that magic from someone.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I'm not so familiar with Lord of the Rings lore, to be honest, but didn't Galadriel learn her magic from somewhere?

I recall her "base" ability being that she could read minds.

I know she was stated to be very tall (around 6'4 or something) and was very aggressive in youth but I thought she learned that magic from someone.
    We've got The Witcher, House of The Dragon, Rings of Power, and The Wheel of Time. If you're a fantasy fan like me, this is our era! I feel bad for Sci-Fi fans (including myself) cause all they got is Star Wars and Star Trek, and maybe The Orville. There's Halo and The Foundation but people seem to hate those shows lol.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

The show is brilliant so far, I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Some have said that Amazon could have just made their own fantasy story, rather than calling it LotR, in the same way that practically every work of fantasy since the 1940s has been based on Tolkein in one way or another, even if not given name credit. But I'm glad they had the cojones to actually use the characters Tolkein had invented and do something new with them. Lord knows Tolkein isn't using them any more. The LotR books are all still there in all their glory. The Hobbit book is still there, as is the Silmarillion. All of Christopher Tolkein's abominations are still there, if you're into that kind of thing. The original material seems pretty safe in spite of this show.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    We've got The Witcher, House of The Dragon, Rings of Power, and The Wheel of Time. If you're a fantasy fan like me, this is our era! I feel bad for Sci-Fi fans (including myself) cause all they got is Star Wars and Star Trek, and maybe The Orville. There's Halo and The Foundation but people seem to hate those shows lol.

Where's your love for Raised By Wolves?

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Where's your love for Raised By Wolves?
    Yeah, that was a cool show.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Amazon as a descriptor for height and beauty is a very modern usage of the word, classically it was a word that brought up brutalist imagery of warrior women without any of the classical "womanish" attributes, ie. humility, grace, chastity. And seeing as Tolkien was very much into classical literature that's definitely the definition he was going for, especially as it lines up with calling her the man maiden.

You pretty much have to have the preconceived notion that she can be nothing other than the ethereal witch woman of Lothlórien in order to disbelieve that she was something else when she was younger.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Incredible Member

Loved it. Really glad that it's (my definition of) good. And so very beautiful to look at.

I watch the extended versions every year, including the Hobbit, and read the books every few years. I understand adaptations don't mean 1:1 parity, so I've got zero problems here. Just along for the ride. Don't care about any Amazon buying/developing/budget drama; it's background noise wholly unnecessary for my enjoyment. Glad that multiple seasons are basically guaranteed.