Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Watched the first two episodes and was bored to death. I don't find any character interesting or appealing. I hope I find one or more characters later on. I will definitely watch every episode, because its Lotr, if it were any other show I would be out by now.

I suppose it won't disappoint in the long run.

Extraordinary Member

It'll be interesting to see the drop-off in viewership over the next couple of eps.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I'm not so familiar with Lord of the Rings lore, to be honest, but didn't Galadriel learn her magic from somewhere?

I recall her "base" ability being that she could read minds.

I know she was stated to be very tall (around 6'4 or something) and was very aggressive in youth but I thought she learned that magic from someone.
    Well yes, over in Valar land, from which she was banished as was mentioned, rendering that one scene a bit puzzling to me. Evidently, her actions in the War of the Ring earned her forgiveness from the Valar, allowing that return with Gandalf and the rest. She was a bit of a piece of work in her early days, which probably later informed her decision to not take the Ring when offered. She undoubtedly recalled her own darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    Aragorn is clearly the ranger/rogue not a healer. Come on man.
    The bit where he goes around the House Of Healing touching everybody with his magic king hands was the closest thing to silly DnD-style healing magic I could think of in the book. It's all a bit more subtle than shooting Magic Missiles out of the end of a staff.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    It'll be interesting to see the drop-off in viewership over the next couple of eps.
    Even if there's a massive drop,. Amazon would never admit it

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    The bit where he goes around the House Of Healing touching everybody with his magic king hands was the closest thing to silly DnD-style healing magic I could think of in the book. It's all a bit more subtle than shooting Magic Missiles out of the end of a staff.
    Rangers can heal.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Even if there's a massive drop,. Amazon would never admit it
    Does that really matter? The whole point of a show like this is to add value to Prime so that more people subscribe or stay subscribed. I would think the show has already added value just by making more people aware of Prime and getting them to use it.

I'm enjoying this so far. Looks just as cinematic as one would expect. I've never been a huge fans of elves in Tolkien's works, and so far I am most drawn to Durin and the dwarves as well as the harfoots.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Amazon as a descriptor for height and beauty is a very modern usage of the word, classically it was a word that brought up brutalist imagery of warrior women without any of the classical "womanish" attributes, ie. humility, grace, chastity. And seeing as Tolkien was very much into classical literature that's definitely the definition he was going for, especially as it lines up with calling her the man maiden.

You pretty much have to have the preconceived notion that she can be nothing other than the ethereal witch woman of Lothlórien in order to disbelieve that she was something else when she was younger.
    Or, you know, read the source material and take it at face value. If you were always a bricklayer you don't typically and suddenly decide to become a marine biologist.

Edit - My problem isn't with her kicking butt it is that she should be using magic primarily to do so. If they replaced the ninja stuff with magic user stuff my one gripe with the series would be gone. Just my two cents but this change really bothers me because I feel they are saying she can't be a strong woman unless she uses stabby weapons, you know as a man would. She didn't need weapons in the books because, well, of the immense magical powers that rendered them useless to her and of little use against her. The scene in the Hobbit movie (one of them anyway lol) perfectly demonstrated how powerful and effective the character is with not a sword or dagger in sight.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-05-2022 at 09:42 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Well yes, over in Valar land, from which she was banished as was mentioned, rendering that one scene a bit puzzling to me. Evidently, her actions in the War of the Ring earned her forgiveness from the Valar, allowing that return with Gandalf and the rest. She was a bit of a piece of work in her early days, which probably later informed her decision to not take the Ring when offered. She undoubtedly recalled her own darkness.
    In a nutshell, yup.

Whan is the next episode?

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Whan is the next episode?
    Every Friday I believe. It was only on Thursday this past week because I kid you not, some "fans" complained about the date (it was supposed to air on the anniversary of Tolkien's death) so Amazon changed the premiere.

I guess the Dwarves and Elves don't have a good mail chain going otherwise Durin could've just sent a letter inviting him to the wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess the Dwarves and Elves don't have a good mail chain going otherwise Durin could've just sent a letter inviting him to the wedding.
    They are like the Crips and Bloods in the Tolkienverse they hate each other's guts so no regular communication channels, especially at this point (early Second Age). I was pleasantly surprised Disa treated Elrond kindly. The Dwarves in the first chamber who obviously disliked him are more typical of Dwarven attitudes (basically racism that flows both ways) towards Elves.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-05-2022 at 09:24 PM.

I particularly enjoyed the dwarf and elf relations on display, from a time which was indirectly referred to by the inscription to the door to Moria. It makes sense that, even if they were friends, there would be lots of tension. Wait until you see how dwarves treat their enemies!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.