Page 44 of 173 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Just because he is 45 doesnt mean he should get the calls or even have the refs warn others to be careful of him. he is playing a full contact game and he is doing so by his choice and he needs to be treated like any other player. Do the refs tell other players to be careful around Tua after that hit in the Bills game? Did they tell the Bengals to be careful? Or any player coming off an injury?

Things need to be called the same across the board but that is not the case and it angers me,.
    It’s interesting to note that Brady, often a Chatty Cathy after games was noticeably reticent about discussing that play, meaning he knew the refs gave him a free pass.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 10-10-2022 at 12:20 PM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Its got to affect his pride. Its one thing for the refs to give you a pass because they want to just let everyone play the game.

Its a whole different thing when they are doing it because they have pity on you because you are decrepit. Burns like a mofo.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Just because he is 45 doesnt mean he should get the calls or even have the refs warn others to be careful of him. he is playing a full contact game and he is doing so by his choice and he needs to be treated like any other player. Do the refs tell other players to be careful around Tua after that hit in the Bills game? Did they tell the Bengals to be careful? Or any player coming off an injury?

Things need to be called the same across the board but that is not the case and it angers me,.
    Which professional sports league actually applies the rules the same across the board?

Not MLB where certain hitters and/or pitchers get the benefit of the doubt with the balls and strike calls.

Not the NBA where fouls and traveling are called differently for superstars than for role players and bench players.

Not the NHL where goalies have special rules and superstars/top line players get more penalties called for them than 4th line players and other skaters.

So why should the NFL be any different? QB have special rules separate from the way other players are handled and have had it that way since at least the 80s, and there is always a pecking order in who gets the benefit of the doubt on certain calls and types of calls and who doesn't based on talent, popularity, and what keeps the fans happy and coming to games and tuning in. It's not just Brady. Certain QBs have been getting more calls than others since the days of Namath on at least. Again, why should the NFL be different than other leagues and why should the NFL now be any different from the way the NFL has always been. I hear people complain all the time how Brady or Rogers get special treatment (or fill in whatever QB people want to whine about), and maybe they are right, but it's no different than the preferential treatment other QBs of their era got in the context of the rules of their era-Bradshaw, Montana, Young, Aikman, Favre, etc. all got more calls go in their favor than other QBs of their era (and even had things called for them that weren't actually penalties, just like Brady is now. It's always been part of the game, how much of an issue it is just depends on the fans dislike of the QB in question, but it's not anything we haven't seen frequently in the NFL for the last 50 years or so.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Which professional sports league actually applies the rules the same across the board?

Not MLB where certain hitters and/or pitchers get the benefit of the doubt with the balls and strike calls.

Not the NBA where fouls and traveling are called differently for superstars than for role players and bench players.

Not the NHL where goalies have special rules and superstars/top line players get more penalties called for them than 4th line players and other skaters.

So why should the NFL be any different? QB have special rules separate from the way other players are handled and have had it that way since at least the 80s, and there is always a pecking order in who gets the benefit of the doubt on certain calls and types of calls and who doesn't based on talent, popularity, and what keeps the fans happy and coming to games and tuning in. It's not just Brady. Certain QBs have been getting more calls than others since the days of Namath on at least. Again, why should the NFL be different than other leagues and why should the NFL now be any different from the way the NFL has always been. I hear people complain all the time how Brady or Rogers get special treatment (or fill in whatever QB people want to whine about), and maybe they are right, but it's no different than the preferential treatment other QBs of their era got in the context of the rules of their era-Bradshaw, Montana, Young, Aikman, Favre, etc. all got more calls go in their favor than other QBs of their era (and even had things called for them that weren't actually penalties, just like Brady is now. It's always been part of the game, how much of an issue it is just depends on the fans dislike of the QB in question, but it's not anything we haven't seen frequently in the NFL for the last 50 years or so.

-M
    I agree it is not applied across the board in any sport and it bugs me. But to say a guy who by his own choice is playing a full contact sport at the age of 45 should get special rules because of his age doesnt work for me. QB's are always more protected. Brady more then any of them. And after the Tua mess it will get even worse. But to say the refs need to tell everyone else to be more careful with Brady because he is 45? That dont wash me.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I agree it is not applied across the board in any sport and it bugs me. But to say a guy who by his own choice is playing a full contact sport at the age of 45 should get special rules because of his age doesnt work for me. QB's are always more protected. Brady more then any of them. And after the Tua mess it will get even worse. But to say the refs need to tell everyone else to be more careful with Brady because he is 45? That dont wash me.
    Do we know that was actually a directive from the league or are people just assuming things and talking out of their butts with this?

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Do we know that was actually a directive from the league or are people just assuming things and talking out of their butts with this?

-M
    My comment and first post on the Subject was in response to Scott Taylor saying in his post that Brady is 45 and he is okay with Refs telling DB to be more careful with him. I have no idea if anyone else as far as talking heads or in the league are saying this. I am just responding to a member on this board.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    First HC axe of the season. Matt Rhule out in Carolina.
    I'm not sure that he's going to feel too badly about being out of a job. If I read the article about his firing correctly, he's owed $40 million dollars from that 7-year mega contract he signed.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

The money is nice for him, but that is not the metric they go by. Falling at the pinnacle of the sport is a failure and that is how he will see it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The money is nice for him, but that is not the metric they go by. Falling at the pinnacle of the sport is a failure and that is how he will see it.
    Ill take that kind of failure. 40 Mil is a huge comfort to a broken ego. Sit back with the money and take a job on one of the networks as a sports talking head or something.

Ill take that kind of failure. 40 Mil is a huge comfort to a broken ego. Sit back with the money and take a job on one of the networks as a sports talking head or something.
    I don’t see Rhule sitting on his thumbs, not when there’s bound to be college jobs that will open up. Besides, he’s too stumpy and scraggly to be a TV talking head, like that old saying goes, Rhule has a face made for radio.

Sure, but to say he doesn't feel bad because of the money is a total misunderstanding about how such people think.
    If it was only about money, neither Brady or Belechick would still be in the game.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Realized I haven't posted here yet this season. So I'll just say I find it personally cruel that, while although being old enough to not believe all the hype, I was given some hope about the Broncos for the first time in six seasons only to end up with a product that was just as bad if not worse than those previous debacles. And because of said hype, it's happening way too goddamn much on primetime television. Fan bloody tastic.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Rhule can always point to the fact Carolina didn't help him get a franchise QB. He's had Sam Darnold prove he's a bust , Baker Mayfield show why Cleveland gave up on him and a past his prime Cam Newton .

So yeah the team didn't help him here.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

The Raiders are surprising Kansas City 17-7 with three plus minutes left in the first half.

Another undeserved roughness call gives the Raiders a FG instead of KC getting the ball. The Refs are deciding the games.