Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Oh, man, classic Claremont was a treat. You paid that guy 65 cents, and you had a packed comic that could keep you entertained for an hour, not counting re-reads. Decompression is the worst.
    Claremont's X-men also had more in common with Anime and Manga (his take on Magneto and Logan for instance) than the rest of marvel did and so appealed more to those fans.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 08-30-2022 at 04:11 PM.

It's totally a thing.

And it's partly a financial thing. There are so many books and characters just in X-Men alone to keep up with, it's not viable just from a cost perspective for many readers to be a completionist on all of X-Men AND other Marvel books too.

Even focusing on a handful of somewhat popular X-characters is enough for my wallet.

I'll venture into other Marvel stories and characters for a creator I really enjoy, but otherwise not much at all.

Also as a woman who reads comics, X-Men has always had the best female characters and most representation/diversity.
    Last edited by AppleJ; 08-30-2022 at 05:47 PM.

i don't know that there is one. Perhaps the disconnect is with marvel and it's fans or fans and other fans. All i know is the krakoa era had me all over marvel and buying many books in the beginning when hickman was running things and that has since waned. This is just the most recent 3 pages of my kindle so what is the answer for people like me that are literally being told our digital dollars don't matter despite there being obviously more profit on a digital issue that offers no print than a print issue that offers digital anyway.

marv001.jpg
    marv002.jpg
    marv003.jpg

edit: they are arranged by order of reading i realized.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

And since i'm on the train of thought and not really a edit it's also facts i have marvel unlimited and though it would be easier for their digital customers to purchase their most recent comics same day on their own website where i assume they would get most of the profit you have to go to an outside digital vendor to get it because marvel digital editions are never up the same day. Someone make it make sense.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

When I first started reading comics it was exclusively X-Men, like 99% Ultimate X-Men and 1% 616 X-Men. 616 was daunting to get into because of all the history so I stuck with the Ultimate line. After reading Ultimate War I picked up a few Ultimates trades and loved them. This led me to pick up Ultimate Spidey and I loved that so then I bought anything and everything from the Ultimate Universe. Once I found some 616 stories I really enjoyed I felt more comfortable branching out to X-Men, Avengers whatever I thought might be good. Right now most of my list is X related but I also read Thor and Captain America. I’ve tried to get into Aaron’s Avengers but it’s just not for me. I’ve never really been able to find a 616 Spidey story that got me hooked though.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

I'm a fan of superheroes in general so I read a good bit of everything. The Avengers has a special place in my heart as it was my dad's favorite series and was my introduction into comics. Once I started buying my own comics I got really into X-books and Spiderman and of course maintained my dad's Avengers collection for better or worse. I'm kind of in a weird position where my favorite books are Avengers books but my favorite characters are from the X-Men franchise.

If it isn't an X book I don't care about it plain and simple.

It is quite rare for me to pick up non X related Marvel books. It happens for some like Strange Academy or Black Panther(cause Storm) ,Moonknight(tv show) , Runaways(even though there is a mutant in that)

but Spiderman, Hulk, Thor, F4, Daredevil, Ironman, Captain America, Captain Marvel pfffffffff never touch them cause I don't find them that interesting.

I did not talked about my personal experience a sit is what we all are talking here. Initially due to wield publishing history (titles from different years and different families often got published in same book at least till mid 90s when marfel italy was founded/installed and got contorl of all marvle product published in italy) and for having being exposed to anime invasion way earlier that most other nations (i have watched the entirety of Hokuto no ken, Mazinge z and doctor slump before i knew what gi joe were) we got more attuned to get multiple sources of drawn entertiament. Only limit was cash. And for a while, as someone pointed already, comic book were cheap, you can really in theory buy multiple comics without going to ruin. Nowadays things has changed, and we all have eot be much more picky with what we buy(considering that there eis an overproduction of comics and drawn entertaiment covering every possible niche) . Now for me I never felt this division till I started really interacting with other fandom and their heretic views. Sadly this is in part of the "bubblefication" of culture in general where you expoise only to stuff you already like, there is not a slim chance to get accidentally exposed to stuff you never experimented first. In part of a certain "us vs them "mentality of fandom in general(ohh gatekeepers why....) part the xmun were a thing by themselves already and that in recent years entertainment industry realized that making up artificial rivalries between fandom actually help to sell shit, apparently hate reading is a thing.
    Nowadays I read CHARACTER that like to see and read, and follow this or that AUTHOR that tickle my fancy. I tend to ignore families groups or similar stuff. Oddly follow events because well I always hope to see some characters ri hate getting punched and if drawn well battles can be very entertaining ( so far the most entertaining one in general is Jujutsu kaiser they are insanely funny and completely hard to predict, in western comics x-men vs thing had some good fight...oddly enough vs Avengers were kind of dull for most partbut vs eternals and inhumans was funny.)

Another example. Today's gets (top row)that i will read later. Usually i would have gotten more books on a weekly basis during the height of the krakoa era but now i'm lucky to get 4 or 5 books i like and instead of reading them 3 am and binging or all today i'll probably read them through the week. I've also started to pull back from non diverse teams and the only reason i got xmen #14 is because it's been a hot minute since i got a scott focused story. lol

marv4.jpg
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

I've read or at least know about a pretty decent chunk of the important stories of the wider Marvel universe. Good stories, to me, are just good stories, regardless of who they're about. I actually came into comics more via the Vertigo "we are for grown ups now" graphic novel end of things, after being introduced to Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns and Preacher at Uni - and then more underground/indie stuff - so even though I've read a pretty ridiculous amount of X-Books (enough to not remember most of the stuff people bring up on here) I'll always be quite omnivorous.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I've read or at least know about a pretty decent chunk of the important stories of the wider Marvel universe. Good stories, to me, are just good stories, regardless of who they're about. I actually came into comics more via the Vertigo "we are for grown ups now" graphic novel end of things, after being introduced to Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns and Preacher at Uni - and then more underground/indie stuff - so even though I've read a pretty ridiculous amount of X-Books (enough to not remember most of the stuff people bring up on here) I'll always be quite omnivorous.
    Till recent decade forced me to be more monetary cautious(read so cheapskate Scrooge mcDuck look at me for inspiration) I too was omnivorous. Honestly for long time I thought that was the base for any comic book fan worth its name, but I was wrong apparently. Won't be such big deal if some purist fan of this or that Won't act so insufferably smug like they are carrying God's gospel...sheesh sometimes is unbearable (still more contained and decent than WH40K lore fandom.)