Thread: Light and Magic

Default Light and Magic

Anybody watching this Disney+ documentary on ILM? Basically has a lot of interviews with the FX guys, as well as Lucas and other directors (Spielberg, Zemeckis, Howard) about the first 15 years or so of ILM.

There's some stuff I didn't know before, like how in addition to the Mead painting the Walker was also inspired by extinct giant Rhinos, and originally the plan was to use Norwegian tanks but to dress them up (This is why so many of the early Walker concept art had vehicles with treads).

It's a bit of "warts and all" documentary in some places, including Lucas's impatience with Dykstra in particular, and some tensions between the computer and model sections.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I watched the whole thing, really enjoyed it. Lucas is even more impressive than I thought. The amount of innovation he is responsible for!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

He seems a bit more down to earth in the interviews as well then the stuff he did when he was in charge. He even kind of admits he gave John Knoll a hard time on TPM.

Also I didn't know that Knoll and his brother created photoshop.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth