Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Should Spiderman get a new villain?

I honestly love Norman and Doc Oc but after all these years I feel like they've drained the well in terms of stories they can do with them. I mean they mostly use Kingpin for Daredevil these days and he's in my opinion the best enemy Peter has. I think a good villain to give Peter would be someone like Black Mask from DC but with a very close connection to Peter. I figure a new crime lord could be on the rise and flooding the city with drugs and such. I like the idea of Peter trying to step in and getting caught and being told that he killed the guy's dad and learning that the mugger who shot Uncle Ben was the crime lord's Dad. I also would add a Spiderman 3 twist where Peter learns that the crime boss was with his Dad at the time and shot Uncle Ben when they tried to get away and ended up splitting up.

I mean it'd be interesting I think if done right especially if the Criminal shot Uncle Ben not out maliciousness but because his Dad the mugger that Peter chased down screamed at him to the point where the son couldn't take it anymore and the gun just went off. I like that idea because it would parallel Peter causing the mugger to have a heart attack (I think that's what happened in the comics) and the two would essentially have created each other. It'd also be interesting if the new villain saw Spiderman as the problem and saw his actions as changing the city's crime from within.

Also I like the idea of a new villain whose just a standard mobster with a major tie to Peter posing a threat to him. Peter being up against a criminal who can match wits with him would be cool and refreshing compared to the constant battles with the standard rogues. I just love the idea of a bad guy not being a physical threat but having the viciousness, resources, and brains to scare Peter.

Astonishing Member

Writers occasionally introduce new villains, but only a very rare few seem to stick and endure past their creator’s time on the book. “Recent” (in quotes because they’re not that recent) lasting villains include Mr Negative (introduced 2008), Morlun (2001), Kaine (1994, but now a hero), and Carnage (1991 I think). So they’re few and far between. There’s a few other minor ones like Overdrive, but nothing very memorable. It’s hard to replicate the formula that Lee/Ditko perfected from the outset when it came to establishing Spidey’s original rogues.

Also, I’m not seeing any concepts too memorable or unique from your suggestions.

Also I like the idea of a new villain whose just a standard mobster with a major tie to Peter posing a threat to him.
    That sounds a lot like Tombstone.

I like the idea of Peter trying to step in and getting caught and being told that he killed the guy's dad and learning that the mugger who shot Uncle Ben was the crime lord's Dad.
    While not a “villain”, this concept (child of the mugger who thinks Spidey killed him and wants revenge) was already done with Ben Reilly’s love interest, Jessica Carradine.
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 09-04-2022 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Writers occasionally introduce new villains, but only a very rare few seem to stick and endure past their creator’s time on the book. “Recent” (in quotes because they’re not that recent) lasting villains include Mr Negative (introduced 2008), Morlun (2001), Kaine (1994, but now a hero), and Carnage (1991 I think). So they’re few and far between. There’s a few other minor ones like Overdrive, but nothing very memorable. It’s hard to replicate the formula that Lee/Ditko perfected from the outset when it came to establishing Spidey’s original rogues.

Also, I’m not seeing any concepts too memorable or unique from your suggestions.

That sounds a lot like Tombstone.

While not a “villain”, this concept (child of the mugger who thinks Spidey killed him and wants revenge) was already done with Ben Reilly’s love interest, Jessica Carradine.
    Oh wow didn't even know about Jessica. How's Timbstone tied to Spiderman? I was thinking more or less a villain like this for Spidey.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    Oh wow didn't even know about Jessica. How's Timbstone tied to Spiderman? I was thinking more or less a villain like this for Spidey.
    He was Robbie Robertson's childhood bully and later blackmailed Robbie into not publishing an article about him in 'The Bugle' when Robbie stumbled on Tombstone murdering someone. Years later, Tombstone broke Robbie's back. He somehow got Robbie arrested too, I think because he didn't report the murder he witnessed years earlier. Since Pete is a good friend of Robbie it's kinda connected to him. Gerry Conway wrote a great story about this in Spec #139 iirc. It's Tombstone's first major storyline, and undoubtedly his best.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

He was Robbie Robertson's childhood bully and later blackmailed Robbie into not publishing an article about him in 'The Bugle' when Robbie stumbled on Tombstone murdering someone. Years later, Tombstone broke Robbie's back. He somehow got Robbie arrested too, I think because he didn't report the murder he witnessed years earlier. Since Pete is a good friend of Robbie it's kinda connected to him. Gerry Conway wrote a great story about this in Spec #139 iirc. It's Tombstone's first major storyline, and undoubtedly his best.
    And their story has gotten even more tangled, now that their respective children have gotten romantically entangled and are even about to get married. While Robbie and Tombstone have (reluctantly) worked together to save their children from a mutual enemy and even given said children their blessings to marry, that hasn't necessarily stopped Tombstone from still picking fights with Spider-Man, especially as seen in the now-completed first arc of Zeb Wells's ASM.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Miles needs new villains more than Peter. We just had Kindred but that was just a new mantle for an old character.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Miles needs new villains more than Peter. We just had Kindred but that was just a new mantle for an old character.
    Yeah, Miles has the Assessor and … that’s it.

Yeah, Miles has the Assessor and … that’s it.
    selim, quantum and ultimatum as well
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    selim, quantum and ultimatum as well
    And two of those are basically just evil versions of himself.

There was Snatcher (?) and Frost Pharaoh, but they weren't very serious villains.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Yes. God yes.

The Aquamarine Goblin.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    The Aquamarine Goblin.
    Queen Goblin!

On a more serious note, failing the intro of completely new villains, why not dust off some old and less-regarded villains who haven't been seen in forever and revamp them as worthier adversaries for the web-slinger? Start with Joystick, who is in the villain game purely for the thrill and the challenge, like a more amoral version of Felicia "Black Cat" Hardy, who does have some scruples.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

no more villains with a personal connection. I'm really sick of that trope.

Extraordinary Member

Maybe revamp some old ones. As I said elsewhere bring back Bart Hamilton as the Green Goblin since Norman is all reformed.

As far as new villains there are a lot of characters who's bench is not too deep and could use some serious threats.

Thing is, there are also quite a number of pre-existing villains roaming outside Spider-Man's rogues gallery that they could easily be used as a new threat to him. If the idea is for Spider-Man to take on a new crime lord, why not Bushmaster or Zheng Zu or the Hood?