Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Ewing Explores the Aftermath of Judgement Day in X-Men Red - ART FROM #6

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-red-uranos...ing-interview/

Al Ewing talks the Eternal Uranos’ devastating attack on the planet Arakko in X-Men Red and what’s next for that world and its cast of characters.

Great interview and here are some nuggets:

CBR: When I talked with Judgment Day writer Kieron Gillen he said the decision to go all in with Uranos' devastating assault was yours. Why did you decide to have a disaster of this scale happen so early in X-Men Red? Was this always part of your plan?

Al Ewing: It was baked in pretty much from the start, in that I knew Arakko would be at war again, and that'd probably come inside the first ten issues. There were various reasons. I wanted to test and challenge the society we'd created and show them at their best in the face of this challenge. I wanted to shake up the Great Ring and show how they responded to a massive disaster, and I wanted to give Storm and Magneto something major to fight against beyond home-grown intrigue. So Judgment Day became an opportunity for something planet-wide with some far-reaching consequences.

In Issue #4, we saw Magneto forgo Krakoan resurrection protocols. In Issue #5, we saw him murdered by Uranos, but the end of the issue revealed that the Arakkii mutant Xilo has kept Magneto alive somehow. What can you tell us about his physical and emotional states moving into Issue #6?

Xilo didn't save Magneto -- Magneto saved himself, and we'll see how he did it in #6. It's possible Xilo hid him like Xilo hid Lodus, but more likely, Magneto just looked very dead while he was concentrating on keeping himself going and getting the strength to stand. But Xilo saving Lodus Logos is probably not something that would have happened under the rule of Genesis, so that might be significant.

To say [that] Max is pissed off at this point is understating the case, but even his magnetic powers can only keep him going for so long without some kind of boost. Will he even have time to enact his vengeance? We shall see.

As for Storm, well, she's back in #6 in a big way, but there's one citizen of Arakko who has a big problem with her absence -- Storm herself. Still, she can at least tell herself that she didn't switch sides instantly and kill whoever was closest, unlike a certain other Great Ring member whose name I won't mention except it's Isca. So that's going to come up.

Richard Rider, AKA Nova, was also on hand to protect Arakko's port from the weapons in Uranos' arsenal. What was it like for him to be there and be part of the defense? Will we see more of Rich or any other Guardians of the Galaxy in X-Men Red moving forward?

Mostly it's Rich. I thought he was an interesting addition to the supporting cast, given how strongly defined he is by the wars he's fought. A citizen of Arakko would feel like they had more in common with him than with a lot of Krakoa-affiliated mutants, despite Rich being a human. We'll see how the relationship between Arakkii and Earth humans might be more complex than Isca, our mouthpiece on the subject, would have it. As for what it was like for him, we'll be getting a look into Rich's head -- along with a lot of other people in the warzone -- in #6.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

My heart just burst all over the place from those Craig and Arakki children pages.

Let's go Storm!!
    Last edited by JB; 09-05-2022 at 02:58 PM.

I'm glad Ewing is aware of the positive response his book has gotten. Truly rare in the internet age. Still am ready for Judgement Day to be over because all the future stuff he's mentioned just sounds so much more interesting. Wish we didn't have this "detour."

Great interview and nice preview pages. Personally I can’t wait to get back to Brand’s machinations and the trap Cable springs for her in issue #8. November is sooo far away. *sigh*
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

So much emotion in just a few pages shows just how talented Al Ewing truly is. Just from those pages alone I demand a Craig Marshall mini series.

"What can you tell us about X-Men Red #7?

Someone will be judged. They, and Arakko, will be changed forever as a result. It's a time of change on the Red Planet, and nobody's ever safe from change."

I ain't gonna sleep until October.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    "What can you tell us about X-Men Red #7?

Someone will be judged. They, and Arakko, will be changed forever as a result. It's a time of change on the Red Planet, and nobody's ever safe from change."

I ain't gonna sleep until October.
    My guess that will be Isca
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Craig is cute.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    So much emotion in just a few pages shows just how talented Al Ewing truly is. Just from those pages alone I demand a Craig Marshall mini series.
    He's a star.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    My guess that will be Isca
    Seems likely, and I wonder if the make-up of the Great Ring will change. Perhaps Nova will be allowed on after his heroic work.

It’s nice seeing a good, kind human in the X-books once in awhile too.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Sexy Sobunar!
    Will the nice and cute human survive?
    I really wish Storm still wore her previous costume (the one before the Gala look). It was perfect.

That laser-bot, all I see...
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Those kinds of interactions and fights are why I think X-Men Red is Destiny of X Magnum Opus
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Al hitting it out the park again. Can't wait until this drops. (Although I am ready to move on from this judgment event and get back to business as usual)

Mighty Member

This book is perfection. I wish Al was given an event to do.

Oh Craig.. you really don’t need to wear that NASA overall. Get rid of it, and the shirt then too.

We can agree that there is more to Craig than it seems?