Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

From my observations, Webtoon and manga don't have near as much difficulty finding new readers, so I don't believe the lack of interest in DC is about reading or about comics. I think a lot of it (though certainly not all of it), has to do with content. Thus, even if you were to make the comics more accessible I still think they would have difficulty in the marketplace, even though that would help a lot.

You hardly ever get organic and sustainable hits coming out of comics designed primarily for the Direct Market. It happens, like The Walking Dead, but that is REALLY rare, and when it does happen, there are typically only a couple of comic titles that can do that at a time out of like 500 titles, and oftentimes, those comics are the result of happy accidents or they're seemingly unexpected, like the Amanda Connor Harley Quinn series. The charts are usually topped by inorganic results, like #1 relaunches backed by speculators and propped up with variant covers, and event series, which are fleeting and seem to be yielding diminishing results.

New business models would need to be thought up for distribution for the company to be really successful, but I also think DC would need to take a sharp look at how the company approaches storytelling, and the people they hire to write, draw, and coordinate stories.

I think the best way to get kids involved is through graphic novels. They can find those at libraries and bookstores. Kids would need to be interested in those, though. From my anecdotal observations, they often gravitate toward manga and not towards superhero comics. Though that is just anecdotal, my observations also seem to correlate with some sales data I've seen.

I think the best way to get kids involved is through graphic novels. They can find those at libraries and bookstores. Kids would need to be interested in those, though. From my anecdotal observations, they often gravitate toward manga and not towards superhero comics. Though that is just anecdotal, my observations also seem to correlate with some sales data I've seen.
    I certainly think OGNs are a good way to try to get kids interested, as I said before. But my particular interest in this thread was the survival (or possibility of increased sales) of monthly floppies as a format. Just as to whether that format could ever again (well, within 10 years, I guess, not ever) be very popular with a broad audience.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I think there's something to be said about the accessibility of one-and-done stories. Or at least shorter arcs. I think if they heavily marketed the strategy and expanded distribution strategies, casual fans of DC media might be enticed to pick some up. And if they like those, they might buy them the next month. Discount subscription deals would probably help facilitate that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I certainly think OGNs are a good way to try to get kids interested, as I said before. But my particular interest in this thread was the survival (or possibility of increased sales) of monthly floppies as a format. Just as to whether that format could ever again (well, within 10 years, I guess, not ever) be very popular with a broad audience.
    They need to be complete stories.

Price is not the issue. We got books with less pages going for the same price or higher-see the Little Golden books and I have seen floppies in hardcover for $20.

Stop writing for trades.

Or you do 48 pagers for say $7.

Or you start merging some titles to get Digests like Archie.

If we are doing $8 for 156 pages.

A complete Batman story (100 pages.)

Give 25 to say Outsiders
    The other 25 to Damian
    and 6 pages for say Clownhunter.

Vary it by month and make it clear you can buy them like that or wait for a trade of single arcs-at least in Batman's case.

If you get enough material for a $10 one shot like the Pride and Voices titles with Damian and others-you do that.

You are giving folks choices.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Who can say what the future holds, but if I was a betting man, I wouldn't place my money on that horse. Comics hold on to that model because the audience who reads them is familiar with it and largely resistant to changing, not really because there is a relatively large demand for it outside of that audience. If practicality was the only concern, the floppies would have been replaced by digital. For floppies to take off, a non-interested audience would have to become interested. If that were to happen, I think it would be due to a totally unexpected thing...like a retro revival or something brought upon by something we can't really foresee right now. Like, somehow collecting floppies becomes in vogue sort of like how Pokemon cards have seen somewhat of a resurgence.

As for done-in-one 20 or so page stories...I dunno'. Current sensibilities seem to trend toward binging longer connected content. That could conceivably change...or not. I think shorter stories work well for gags and short stories with a weird twist. I would be concerned that a modern audience would find a bunch of regular unrelated 20 or so page adventures to be shallow or not engaging enough versus other entertainment options.

And a related question--how (and when) do you introduce kids to comics when they theoretically have to be 13 to read them? Those of us who grew up during the CCA years started earlier and were hooked by 13.

I know there are some "all ages" but it's just not the same.

I think the digital market has to be expanded for the future fan base to grow. Although I do think putting books in more stores will increase sales. Just graphic novels though, I think floppies at their current price is way too expensive.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    And a related question--how (and when) do you introduce kids to comics when they theoretically have to be 13 to read them? Those of us who grew up during the CCA years started earlier and were hooked by 13.

I know there are some "all ages" but it's just not the same.
    The kids are already being introduced.

They are being introduced in Little Golden books, early reader books, OGNs and even toys-

Example in toys-kids from ages 4-10 are being introduced to Duke Thomas because a kids DC toyline includes him and Luke Fox. So at age 13 they already know who he is or at least what he wear.

Look at who is leading DC's OGN sales-Raven and Beast Boy.

It's happening already. How we LOSE those kids to Manga is when we move past those properties and try to enter mainstream DC.

90% of those characters that attracted them are MIA in the main books. With some that will NEVER be welcomed because of the current FANS.

What book is Bumblebee in??? Yet she was in DC SuperHero Girls.
    Duke is in a child's toyline and lets face it Batwheels will have TOYS-where is he in comics BESIDES Batman Urban?

What those kids want to READ is VERY different from adults. That is why Manga and other indy books are beating DC and Marvel.

No kid is throwing a fit over a black elf, black storm trooper, black Johnny Storm, female ghostbusters or folks like JSA-yet WHO is?

Kids don't CARE. If they like they will READ it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

They are being introduced in Little Golden books, early reader books, OGNs and even toys-

Example in toys-kids from ages 4-10 are being introduced to Duke Thomas because a kids DC toyline includes him and Luke Fox. So at age 13 they already know who he is or at least what he wear.

It's happening already. How we LOSE those kids to Manga is when we move past those properties and try to enter mainstream DC.

90% of those characters that attracted them are MIA in the main books. With some that will NEVER be welcomed because of the current FANS.

Duke is in a child's toyline and lets face it Batwheels will have TOYS-where is he in comics BESIDES Batman Urban?

What those kids want to READ is VERY different from adults. That is why Manga and other indy books are beating DC and Marvel.

No kid is throwing a fit over a black elf, black storm trooper, black Johnny Storm, female ghostbusters or folks like JSA-yet WHO is?

I don't think kids are all that different from adult fans. What is perhaps different is when they are exposed to something, what the status quo or incarnation of that thing is at that time, and when they become a fan of it. In other words, kids would probably throw fits if the characters they wanted to see were replaced by unfamiliar characters, or if the characters they liked were portrayed in an unrecognizable fashion (like a black Johnny Storm). If kids don't care about that, it would quite possibly be because they have no previous affection or even knowledge of Johnny Storm.

Regarding my own experience, I know that when Saban suddenly replaced the original Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers with some people I had never heard of my small child self didn't just accept that with a smile on my face. I don't know that I threw a fit, but I thought it was very surprising and disappointing and my interest in the show basically disappeared. You couldn't just replace Jason, Zack, and Trini with some randos in my eyes.

For whatever it's worth, I also recall my older brother being really disappointed because he wanted to see Optimus Prime instead of Rodimus Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Proto Man View Post
    For whatever it's worth, I also recall my older brother being really disappointed because he wanted to see Optimus Prime instead of Rodimus Prime.
    Wow. I've never really thought about the similarities between the New 52 and the sudden shift in the 80's Transformers cartoons from the Optimus generation to the Rodimus generation.

"Hey, fans of (insert fictional universe here)! Remember all those characters and stories we got you to care about? Watch as we completely wipe the slate clean to introduce you to a new wave of toys to sel...er, I mean characters to follow, by first killing off as many as of the characters you know and love, as quickly and casually (and with little to no fanfare) as possible! But don't worry, we've got a whole new bunch of characters that you've never seen before, and have no reason to actually care about, just waiting to step in and take over without us doing anything to earn your caring about them at all! I mean, seriously, who the hell actually cares about characters themselves, when we've got new action figures to fill up the toy aisles?"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    "Hey, fans of (insert fictional universe here)! Remember all those characters and stories we got you to care about? Watch as we completely wipe the slate clean to introduce you to a new wave of toys to sel...er, I mean characters to follow, by first killing off as many as of the characters you know and love, as quickly and casually (and with little to no fanfare) as possible! But don't worry, we've got a whole new bunch of characters that you've never seen before, and have no reason to actually care about, just waiting to step in and take over without us doing anything to earn your caring about them at all! I mean, seriously, who the hell actually cares about characters themselves, when we've got new action figures to fill up the toy aisles?"
    Yeah, that's the idea. Children are often not open to that type of thing and neither are adults. Once they become attached to something, they generally want to see it the way they like it. Thus, one of the primary reasons children don't throw fits about some things that adults might throw fits about is that the children weren't previously attached. Ghostbusters is a franchise that peaked in the mid-'80s to early 90s. Why would most children today (or 2016, rather) care about who the Ghostbusters are or how the franchise is portrayed when they very well may have no previous substantial attachment to it? Now, people who were children and Ghostbusters fans in the '80s and early '90s who are now adults? It's a totally different story with them. They are attached. They have an investment in that franchise and its characters and they care about how it's portrayed, and they have ideas in their minds on how it looks and works and how they like it to look. Kids get ideas like that once they actually get attached to something.
    Last edited by Proto Man; 09-10-2022 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

I guess my question is, how do you introduce younger kids to the comics themselves? When I was a child in the 70s my older brother gave me a stack of 15 comic books and that did it. But can you give a 9- or 10-yo kid today a bunch of books meant for 13+? And if you wait till they're 13, you've missed a lot of those formative years.

Retired

When I was volunteering at the elementary school in a reading program (before the pandemic), there were several books in the library that were done in comic book style. Sometimes not the whole book, but part of the book would be done that way. When I found out that one child loved the Lego Ninjago books, I bought several of them and later donated them to the school library. Those had comic book pages.

I never brought any of my floppies to school, because those would fall apart. Kids are brutal with books. But I did bring a few trade paperbacks and hardcovers--like the Tiny Titans books--to see if those would interest the kids.

At the public library, one can often see children reading the collected editions of comic books. So for kids that can't afford comics or get to a comic book store, they have other ways of getting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    I guess my question is, how do you introduce younger kids to the comics themselves? When I was a child in the 70s my older brother gave me a stack of 15 comic books and that did it. But can you give a 9- or 10-yo kid today a bunch of books meant for 13+? And if you wait till they're 13, you've missed a lot of those formative years.
    I had a similar experience.
    My brother had a bunch of comics: Batman, Detective, Defenders, Justice League of America, Jonah Hex, New Teen Titans, Flash, Green Lantern... And there were Archie Digests, Hot Stuff, Casper and Wendy.
    The cartoons and tv shows also helped, though. Super Friends on Saturday mornings was a big influence, as were the Batman and Superman tv shows which played after school on the weekdays.
    The cartoons, especially, had a bigger influence on kids back then because we didn't have a zillion choices to splinter everyone off into totally different experiences. With most channels playing one of three networks, each show had a bigger audience back then.

So, my brother introduced me to comics, and the cartoons gave them a voice.
    I started buying my own comics (with my measly $1 or $2 allowance) shortly after in the Spring of '82, with my first two comics being Fantastic Four and Doctor Strange. The third was Contest of Champions, which was advertised prominently in the other two.
    It was no surprise that Dr. Strange would become my favorite character since he appeared in all three of my first comics.
    I was 10 when I started buying my own comics. And they weren't kiddie comics, either. The first Captain America comic I bought and read during my first months touched on homosexuality but the subtext was so well hidden that you wouldn't see it until you were much older.

I've seen what DC (mostly) puts out for kids since Jonny DC, and I'd be surprised if kids wouldn't feel outright insulted. Everything is dumbed down or given totally goofy art (or both).
    Scooby Doo is probably the best thing going that DC puts out for kids, because it sticks to the tried and true style and doesn't 'try' so hard to 'appeal to kids'.
    9 to 12 year olds don't want comics made for 4 year olds.
    I know I didn't.
    I wouldn't turn down reading Archie or the Harvey comics, but I would rather spend my money on the cool, dynamic looking super-heroes fighting menacing villains.

Comics have faced a similar issue that video games have: their key audience grew up.
    Video games saw this happen around the time of Grand Theft Auto 3. This is when adults were starting to get their own consoles, or hogging the family console to play the Mature rated games.
    On the bright side, there was still a lot of content being released for both kids (mostly by Nintendo) or more casual gamers. Because the video game industry is much larger and game stores could have everything on the shelves.

Comics started edging up towards mature readers in the '70s with social commentary, but it wasn't until the rise of the Direct Market and the 'collectors boom' (that helped validate why adults could still buy comics - they may be worth something!), compounded with Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen. Suddenly, everyone started trying to make the next Dark Knight or Watchmen. Every superhero was suddenly subject to being deconstructed and injected with 'realism'.
    But, unlike video games, comics haven't done well at keeping a wide range of audience as far as ages go. Most of DC and Marvel's comics now are written for adults.
    And just like tv now, with the ratings, as long as there's a rating on the front, they don't have to worry about the content.
    Movies have already given people the idea that a G, PG or PG-13 rated film isn't as good as an R rated film, because 'censorship'. This gives an 'inverse rating effect' where the higher the rating, the better it must be because it's unfiltered and uncensored.

I personally don't think DC and Marvel are willing to take the steps necessary to get new readers between the ages of 7 and 14. They're both too busy trying to appeal to adults and share holders.
    Add to that how DC seems more and more focused on Crisis level events, while Marvel is busy using the MCU to re-tune their heroes.
    Of the two, though, Marvel is doing better, I think. The movies are accessible to all ages, and will always be available on dvd, blu-ray, streaming or movie channels. The comics will benefit from that more as time goes by.

I think DC could do well with five ongoing OGNs.
    One each for Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, the JLA and the Titans.
    Maybe go to black and white to bring the costs down.
    Make them digest sized to fit in backpacks.
    All new stories, with each book set in its own continuity. For anyone who doesn't understand this concept, each title is treated like it's by a different publisher.
    Sprinkle in a few (small) back-up features to test reader interest in other characters for possible limited series OGNs or specials.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.