Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    And then there is the Legion of Death from the Justice League 3000/ Justice League 3001, last seen in Blue Beetle vol. 9 #13.
    I do not hate those looks for Violet and Imra and Cham!

Tinya, tho? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Hopefully this doesn't end up a mess.
    I don't think a fiveboot or a sixboot would solve anything at this point. (I'm taking the Bendisboot as the Fourboot (?))
    So the question is how do they fix things w/o making a bigger mess.

The Bendis Legion seems pretty universally hated at this point, I haven't seen any positive feedback at this point and I'd think DC MUST have noticed.
    Wondering if the outcome of Flashpoint Beyond/Dark Crisis/John's upcoming Golden Age can somehow get us back to the OG's again so we can go from there.

I don't mind all the multiverse Legions as alternate versions, honestly. I just want the originals backs as the primary version...and not in some self-loathing publication that feels it needs to fix them or consign them offscreen while new recruits are the ONLY focus.

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    I don't think a fiveboot or a sixboot would solve anything at this point. (I'm taking the Bendisboot as the Fourboot (?))
    So the question is how do they fix things w/o making a bigger mess.

The Bendis Legion seems pretty universally hated at this point, I haven't seen any positive feedback at this point and I'd think DC MUST have noticed.
    Wondering if the outcome of Flashpoint Beyond/Dark Crisis/John's upcoming Golden Age can somehow get us back to the OG's again so we can go from there.

I don't mind all the multiverse Legions as alternate versions, honestly. I just want the originals backs as the primary version...and not in some self-loathing publication that feels it needs to fix them or consign them offscreen while new recruits are the ONLY focus.
    Well as very, very longtime Legion fan I actually really loved the Bendis Legion. BUT I'm all for the return of the "classic" team. Especially going by how Johns return them the first time he did it. It was Levitz that messed that version up after the team received an ongoing once again. Since we seem to be getting a Legion War maybe we'll end up with a team that is a combo of the different versions in the aftermath?

Astonishing Member

Im sure it's gonna be 3 good Legions vs one bad one.

As for the Bendisboot, I'd guess the end of the JL vs. LSH series could leave us with some clue as to what future or even IF there is a future for the Bendis team.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Astonishing Member

They could still get erased maybe. And no 4 is some other Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    As for the Bendisboot, I'd guess the end of the JL vs. LSH series could leave us with some clue as to what future or even IF there is a future for the Bendis team.
    When was the last time Bendis cared for a continuity other than their own? If there was justice in the universe, Bendislegion would stay erased, but most probably will be saved by the powers of Naomi.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

When was the last time Bendis cared for a continuity other than their own? If there was justice in the universe, Bendislegion would stay erased, but most probably will be saved by the powers of Naomi.
    Way to crush the last vestiges of hope within my breast.

Ultimate Member

Naomi, Jessica Jones, where Bendis shines, is crafting stand-alone stories or arcs for his original characters. But give him a half-dozen or more pre-existing characters, be they Avengers or Legionnaires, and they all sit / stand around and spit interchangeable out-of-character sentence fragments at each other.

It's like, "Hey, this guy is a decent plumber! Let's assign him to wire the electricity in our new computer room!"

I can't even be too critical, because this seems to happen anywhere I work. "This person has done great in this specific job! Let's 'reward' them by promoting them to a completely different job, requiring totally different skills, at which they are obviously going to suck!" (Bonus points for the dunderhead companies that then *fire* this person for failing at the new job they got as a 'reward' for being so great at their previous job...)
    Last edited by Sutekh; 09-13-2022 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Naomi, Jessica Jones, where Bendis shines, is crafting stand-alone stories or arcs for his original characters. But give him a half-dozen or more pre-existing characters, be they Avengers or Legionnaires, and they all sit / stand around and spit interchangeable out-of-character sentence fragments at each other.

It's like, "Hey, this guy is a decent plumber! Let's assign him to wire the electricity in our new computer room!"

I can't even be too critical, because this seems to happen anywhere I work. "This person has done great in this specific job! Let's 'reward' them by promoting them to a completely different job, requiring totally different skills, at which they are obviously going to suck!" (Bonus points for the dunderhead companies that then *fire* this person for failing at the new job they got as a 'reward' for being so great at their previous job...)
    That is the Peter Principle. I never thought it could be applicable to creative endeavours.

However I applaud when artists try to work outside their confort zones, like Bendis when he left the urban books for something more cosmic. But also they must aknowledge when they had failed or his style is not working and change or return to something they handle better. Bendis repeatedly has failed in his way to deal with teams and science fiction but the guy insists on work in the same way, instead of changing his approach. Before he worked on Legion his deficiencies were observed in the later Marvel books he worked on.

I think he could had worked better in something like Green Arrow, Question or Manhunter, when he had jsut joined DC, but right now I think he burned out this bridge.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Way to crush the last vestiges of hope within my breast.
    Don't worry, I am sure Johns have something very special for them. Veeeeeery special.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It’s from Flashpoint Beyond. Johns has plans for books featuring the JSA, a group of “forgotten sidekicks” from the Golden Age, and possibly the Legion.
    Thanks.

Bendis does seem to have some knowledge of previous continuity stuff when he writes 'em, since he may reference the past, but a lot of times he misinterprets what's in there, or forgets a major detail introduced afterwards.

Avengers: Disassembled on the Marvel side is an example, since the entire story relies on Wanda going crazy 'cause she was reminded of her erased kids, and her memory was erased because she did go crazy, but he ignores that she got the memory back and stories afterwards weren't subtle about it, he also tries to talk like she was always crazy and includes a bunch of out of context moments to make her look bad when most scenes are her being heroic, and to make it even worse, he made Doctor Strange say that Chaos magic doesn't exist, when Strange himself uses it...

So short version is, Bendis may care about continuity that isn't stuff he wrote, and that may be a bad thing anyways lol.

Don't worry, I am sure Johns have something very special for them. Veeeeeery special.
    That sounds like a threat lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

The bendisverse effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    That sounds like a threat lol.
    I'd bet money (not a lot, though) they were imagining Bendis doing his Dr. Evil impersonation and laugh while they wrote that.