Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    The race-lifts were especially cringy cause it kinda got racist

Aside from making the Lightning siblings black falls into the electric black guy cliche, it also come with an entirely new origin of them coming from a literal space ghetto. Real bad stereotype.

And it was then worsened because Garth's romance with Imra was adapted out in favor of one with Jon Kent. So a character was turned black and his ongoing romance with a blonde white woman was removed entirely so she can romance another white guy.

Again its a mess. Don't even get me started on turning Karate-Boy Chinese which not only falls into interchangeable Asian cultures but he was also given a hideous que-braid haircut which has a ****-ton of historical significance in China.
    I generally love Sook’s art but I don’t know what the hell he was thinking with the Karate Kid and Dawnstar redesigns.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I generally love Sook’s art but I don’t know what the hell he was thinking with the Karate Kid and Dawnstar redesigns.
    Was "his" thinking? Bendis seems to dislike charactes with feathered wings. In X-Men he gave Angel horrible fire wings and it seems he was the one with the "spiritual wings" for Dawnstar. I don't know who came with the idea of a chinese look for a character with mostly japanese ties like Karate Kid (even I understand than japanese and chinese are not the same), but in the case of Dawnstar, I would bet that was based on Bendis' own suggestions.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Even if they do the retroboot again, I wonder if the race and sexuality and other changes from other versions get applied.
    I think than would be a lot more trouble to do. Specially in the case of race/etnia. If retroboot Lightningt Lad suddendly went from redhead to black, how do you explain it? Plastic surgery? That would open a whole lot of cans of worms that Bendisboot did.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Sook's designs are kind of one of the main things that turned me off of Bendis' Legion.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Sook's art was technically okay but yeah I really did not care for the designs and looks of the characters.

I felt they too simple, like they were way too streamlined and everyone wound up looking rather dull as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Ryan Sook's artwork was indeed amazing.
    Indeed. They absolutely added a more alien and intergalactic feel to the Legion. I really appreciate that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Sook's art was technically okay but yeah I really did not care for the designs and looks of the characters.

I felt they too simple, like they were way too streamlined and everyone wound up looking rather dull as a result.
    Ryan Sook was perfect for the title as his backgrounds and world design showed it. It was the whole reboot idea what messed up everything. But that always has been a talent for Bendis, to be backed by good pencillers.

Extraordinary Member

This just may be me, but my problems with 5YL, Zero Hour reboot, Mark Waid's Three-boot, and Bendis' Legion is this:

Just because you call them Cosmic Boy, Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl, etc... doesn't mean anything unless they are the original character. I don't want Projectra as a snake or Timber Wolf as a lumbering hairball.

Give me the REAL Legion of Super Heroes or I'm out.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    This just may be me, but my problems with 5YL, Zero Hour reboot, Mark Waid's Three-boot, and Bendis' Legion is this:

Just because you call them Cosmic Boy, Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl, etc... doesn't mean anything unless they are the original character. I don't want Projectra as a snake or Timber Wolf as a lumbering hairball.

Give me the REAL Legion of Super Heroes or I'm out.
    And that's part of why when I do read a 'Reboot' or whatever, I tend to focus on the new characters, like Monstress and Dragonmage, Gazelle and Monster Boy. I have zero interest in a *sixth* interpretation of Brainiac 5 or Saturn Girl, who will, almost inevitably, not be as good a character as the original interpretation grew into over decades (maybe if they ALSO had decades to grow into the role, they'd have a chance, but still, it's rollerskating uphill, as far as I am concerned, and I'd much prefer they focus on something new and interesting that doesn't stomp all over what has come before, with characters like Kid Quantum, Gates or Theena).

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Indeed. They absolutely added a more alien and intergalactic feel to the Legion. I really appreciate that aspect.
    Yeah I liked it too. It actually gave the feeling that the Legion members are really from other planets, and not a bunch of teenagers of Riverdale that just came out from one of Veronica's halloween parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Ryan Sook's artwork was indeed amazing.
    I do think Ryan Sook is a great artist.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I love Sook's art but hate the costumes and character designs, if that makes sense.
    The thing is, Sook has great noir influences in his work (which explains why he was so amazing in PAD's X-Factor). IMHO, he is not a good artist for bright and colorful futuristic super-heroes. A good artist that was not a good fit for the book, that's how I see it. And, though I'd never say that Bendisis a good writer, he certainly was, IMHO, the wrong writer for a sci-fi book. A terrible fit.

Peace

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Was "his" thinking? Bendis seems to dislike charactes with feathered wings. In X-Men he gave Angel horrible fire wings and it seems he was the one with the "spiritual wings" for Dawnstar. I don't know who came with the idea of a chinese look for a character with mostly japanese ties like Karate Kid (even I understand than japanese and chinese are not the same), but in the case of Dawnstar, I would bet that was based on Bendis' own suggestions.
    The idea of a character flying in space with feather wings is unique. Making them energy wings made Dawnstar less special.

Overall, I found the designs less than impressive. Ryan Sook is a great artist -- but probably not well-suited for drawing huge groups.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post

The thing is, Sook has great noir influences in his work (which explains why he was so amazing in PAD's X-Factor). IMHO, he is not a good artist for bright and colorful futuristic super-heroes. A good artist that was not a good fit for the book, that's how I see it. And, though I'd never say that Bendisis a good writer, he certainly was, IMHO, the wrong writer for a sci-fi book. A terrible fit.

Peace
    It prolly doesn't help that Bendis made them look like goobers.

Like a good writer can help an artist ascended but a bad writer drags them down. And Sook's designs for the Legion is done no favors since Bendis writes them as these constantly smiling morons and doofuses who can't do anything right or badass.

The whole thing felt like a bad sitcom that looked old in a bad way.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    The idea of a character flying in space with feather wings is unique. Making them energy wings made Dawnstar less special.

Overall, I found the designs less than impressive. Ryan Sook is a great artist -- but probably not well-suited for drawing huge groups.
    I think than Sook indeed is able to work on that context. And feathered wings by him on Dawnstar would had been really nice to see.

Peace
    I still disagree on Ryan Sook. But I can't disagree on Bendis. He has his hits too. I always will like Powers. But he can't deal with sci-fi/space opera. The guy should had understand that after what he did in Guardians, but instead he doubledown on it when he went after the Legion title.

Extraordinary Member

The problem with most of the Post-Crisis Legion books is that as a writer, you either build your book/stories based on history of the characters or you throw away history and start all over.

There's been too much throwing history away and starting over IMO.