Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Immortal X-Men #6 Review/Spoilers: Stand for Judgment

Picture it: Krakoa, 2022. Sinister sends Destiny a telepathic message, spilling the tea on what he's been up to with the Aven-ternals. Destiny asks if he's coming back to help, but Sinister won't; he knows everyone is suspicious of him because of Dr. Stasis, so he wants to prove he's on Krakoa's side first.

His plan is to turn the Celestial off. The Aven-ternals are against it, since it could explode and kill a whole lot of Europeans. but if Destiny can trick them into thinking the risks are marginal, they can pull it off. Destiny calls for her wife and says that they have work to do.

We get a data page about the Quiet Council, and how likely they are to vote on turning the Celestial off. It's a chart that shows everyone's odds for voting Yes by percentage, how likely they will vote if they know about the risk of explosion vs if they don't know, and if Xavier isn't around. Destiny wants Xavier out of the picture, because he's very much against the risks and could sway votes against the off switch.

Some fun facts:
    • Xavier is highly against turning off the Celestial no matter what, likely because he doesn't want anyone - human or mutant - sacrificed.
    • Colossus has the absolute lowest chances of voting yes - 1% chance at the lowest, and 2% at the highest. Destiny wonders if this is due to Russia having cities in the possible blast zone.
    • Nightcrawler comes in second, with a range of 2-6%.
    • Storm is absent, having head back to Arakko. No vote for her.
    • Pretty much everyone is against the off switch if they know about its dangers. Destiny and Mystique are the only ones with a percentage above 40%
    • Mystique actually 1% more likely to vote yes if she thinks a bunch of humans will die. Destiny loves her.

Basically: if the Council knows how bad the explosion can be, they'll largely vote against it. If Destiny keeps that a secret, they have better odds. They're most likely to get a pass if Xavier's out of the picture.

With Xavier gone, the vote passes. They turn off the Celestial and kill it, but the explosion takes out a city. However...

It was all an illusion, a test for Destiny. The Celestial set this whole illusion up to test her. The Celestial appears before Destiny as Mystique, before revealing that Destiny failed her judgment. Not because she was willing to let a city burn to save the rest of the world, but because she lied about her gift to achieve it. Because she fears losing Mystique. Because she thinks there's no destiny and she's able to control fate, but she's as good as she thinks she is.

The Council meet up and discuss the judgment test. Emma explains how she failed her own test. Shaw says it's because she abstained to have deniability. No credit for saving the world, no blame for the deaths it would cause. As for Emma's judgment, the Celestial appeared before her as several of the people she let down, including two Hellions (the '80's team members, not the person or the '00's team), and Negasonic Teenage Warhead.

So Kate passed, and the Celestial didn't appear as anyone but itself. Xavier's too busy wrestling angels in the psychic plane to get judged, but he's pissed that they could bloody Krakoa's hands. Nightcrawler also had no verdict. Nothing on Colossus and Storm, the latter of whom actually didn't leave for Arakko yet. Exodus has a manbun. Mystique failed, but refuses to share the details. Hellion passed the test, but was given a failing judgment because the Celestial is incredibly jealous of his good looks and mental fortitude.

Destiny says that she failed, but claims that the Celestial took the form of her mother. She insists there is no destiny, but she's clearly still shaken up by what the Celestial told her.

Shaw spaces out to his past. As a child, he wanted to talk to his father. But daddy was busy trying to rebuild their fortune, so he shoos the kid away; unless he has a million dollars, then the child is beneath his concern.

Years later, Sabby would visit his father's grave with the first million he ever made. He dumps it all on his father's grave and burns it, because he can always make more. And also, as a sort of bribe to the gods that his father burn in hellfire.

Back to the present, Shaw is sick of the soul-searching and demands a firm plan. Emma says that, while many Eternals are attacking Krakoa to try and prove their worth, some of them want to meet with the Council and soothe all the anger caused by their immortality secret.

Shaw senses an opportunity: he'll handle it, and negotiations will be at a club in New York. Leland and Angel can come with him to make sure he's a good boy. Everyone defers to Storm and Emma. Storm shrugs and looks to Emma. Emma chews over it before agreeing.

Suddenly, Exodus' test begins. A giant demon bursts into the council chambers, and hellfire begins to burn everything around them. Within the demon's grasp is Sir Garrington, who committed a mortal sin by giving up his life to help Exodus, back in the 12th century. He'll burn in Hell for all eternity, if Exodus doesn't take his place. Despite being warned about the tests, Exodus falls for this. However, while he loves Garrington, he can't sacrifice himself for anyone, because the mutant church is still in its cradle and he needs to keep working.

But he refuses to give up, and attempts to fight the demon to get Garrington back. Shaw doesn't want to risk losing one of Krakoa's biggest guns in some hell, so he jumps in to save him. The fire is real though, and burns off all his clothes. A naked Shaw knocks some sense into Exxy's head with a punch to the back of the head. As the demon fades away and things go back to normal, Garrington gives them a thumb's up. Shaw believes that this means Exodus passed his test.

Later, as Shaw is getting dressed, he gets a message on his computer. One of his agents has discovered an Orchis shell account, looking for investments to fund the next generation of anti-mutant weapons. Shaw, who previously invested in Sentinels and only regrets not getting in on it earlier, wants to buy everything he can. But of course, this was actually just a test. The Celestial appears to him as Emma and fails him.

But Shaw knew it was all a test. He just didn't care. Good will probably triumph over evil no matter what he does. If not? He's already embraced his darkness and is fine with going to Hell for his sins.

But he is mad that the Celestial appeared before him as Emma, though. He doesn't respect her, and insists that, despite her caring facade, she's just like him.
    Later, Shaw meets with Starfox to discuss strats. We don't get the full details of Starfox's plans.

Even later, Shaw reflects on how Selene animated the External Gate. Intrigued by her magic, he had begun his own research. This has lead him to a ritualistic summoning pentagram. He crushes a (human?) heart before it to summon forth a being Selene had been making deals with.

If the world ends tomorrow, then all investments are bad. But if Shaw lives, he's immortal. And immortality requires finds of a similar magnitude.
    Meet Shaw's new business partner: Mother Righteous.

Notes:
    • Loving the connection to Legion of X. I remember people were talking about how the books felt less connected and cohesive. I think this will help.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

this seems to line up pretty well with marauders #6 where it showed the cast be judged and how the Celestials were doing it in the most brutal of ways.

based on the review and what i read. so the themes was the judgement.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    this seems to line up pretty well with marauders #6 where it showed the cast be judged and how the Celestials were doing it in the most brutal of ways.

based on the review and what i read. so the themes was the judgement.
    I was pretty lukewarm on a Shaw issue, as many here were, but I was pleasantly surprised -- I'm glad the "abusive father" was a red herring of sorts that even Shaw suspected would be his source of judgment. Making it Emma judging him, someone who's bested him at his own game several times in several ways, and also (comparatively) is the more heroic of the two, was very clever.

Also very interested to see where things go with Mother Righteous. In all, I appreciated the casual but thorough use of history and escaping the quickly-tiring cliche of "toxic masculinity" being a shorthand for deepening the character without actually redeeming him at all or trying to make him "sympathetic."

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalChicken View Post
    I was pretty lukewarm on a Shaw issue, as many here were, but I was pleasantly surprised -- I'm glad the "abusive father" was a red herring of sorts that even Shaw suspected would be his source of judgment. Making it Emma judging him, someone who's bested him at his own game several times in several ways, and also (comparatively) is the more heroic of the two, was very clever.

Also very interested to see where things go with Mother Righteous. In all, I appreciated the casual but thorough use of history and escaping the quickly-tiring cliche of "toxic masculinity" being a shorthand for deepening the character without actually redeeming him at all or trying to make him "sympathetic."
    I don't really know the context of the issue as i didn't read this one but the review did add a bit as i would say marauders picks up directly after the judgements and how they directly affected each person.

context just feels like a better word because the review is indeed descriptive.
    Last edited by jwatson; 09-07-2022 at 06:36 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

It really seems like this book in particular is being a focal point for the x-line as a whole. It makes sense, since members of the Quiet Council are involved in other books. So far we have had:

X-Force by including the Colossus mind control, I'm guessing that's why he almost never voted Yes.
    X-Men Red by explaining why Magneto left the council to go to Arakko, and Storm references being on Arakko constantly.
    X-Men by having Sinister react to Dr. Stasis.
    Legion of X via Mother Righteous, not only in this issue, but it's also tying into why this timeline was slightly different for Sinister. In the other ones Selene did not have the power because she had not made a deal with Mother Righteous.

Rift this summary/synopsis/breakdown is fantastic but I'd like to emphasize my appreciation for your opening: "Picture it: Krakoa 2022"

Thanks for all the carefully crafted details. As usual, your flare for spotting the Julian of it all is never not amusing and adored. By me specifically. Me. I adore it.

One thing I'm a bit confused about was the timeline.

Storm was not present for the vote because she was on Arakko fighting Uranos' weapons, but here she says she has to go back to fight them? Also she mentions Legion. I guess he did not die and somehow showed up to help later on?

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post

Storm was not present for the vote because she was on Arakko fighting Uranos' weapons, but here she says she has to go back to fight them? Also she mentions Legion. I guess he did not die and somehow showed up to help later on?
    Yeah, i'm still confused about that as well. I'm not sure how that played out.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    Yeah, i'm still confused about that as well. I'm not sure how that played out.
    If I remember correctly the Way of X tie-in from Legion's perspective won't happen for another month or so? (bummer on poor timing)
    Suppose she's been darting back and forth between K and A?

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post

My read was that they called her back for this meeting, largely bc she was pissed about being left out of the last one

Fantastic Member

Figures Shaw's whole personality boils down to "Daddy was a mean ******* that never hugged me so I'm gonna be an even bigger *******" what a basic one trick pony pathetic but not surprising

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    My read was that they called her back for this meeting, largely bc she was pissed about being left out of the last one
    That's how I read it as well, as I think the gates on Arakko might be working again? (we'll see in Red #6 perhaps)

Great recap as always, Rift.

I was pleasantly surprised by this issue as well since Shaw is the one I'm least interested in. Gillen really knows how to write him as a clear villain. For a moment I found his nude scenes extremely sexy but then he's so awful that I want to throw him in the pit myself. Werneck is incredible.

A lot of interesting nuggets here.
    - Peter with almost zero chance of voting yes because Russian cities are in the possible blast zone - yeah, Mikhail def wouldn't want that. LOL.
    - Everyone looking to Storm and Emma on the decision of allowing Shaw to make the deal, and the two of them sharing a glance, is a great callback to the first Marauders run where they and Kate decided to keep his crimes a secret to keep him under their thumbs. Seems it's not working though cause he's still a POS behind the scenes.
    - Storm saying Legion saved a lot of the Arakki. So perhaps when Legion called Uranos away in Red #5, he was able to maybe transport a bunch of them into the Altar? Kate mentions evacuating the Altar in Marauders. Makes sense now why Spurrier said the timing of his tie-in's release is wonky.

- Starfox to Shaw: "The immortality secret is what started this. We'll have to work out something you can give up there..."
    Shaw: "Whatever happens... it should help the children."
    Hmmmm.

Good issue, better than I expected.
    Last edited by JB; 09-07-2022 at 07:42 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

This was MUCH better than the last two issues. Hope Gillen stays on track.

Shaw is absolute trash for investing against his own kind. But the bastard looks good naked.

Exodus being in love or showing love towards another man was awesome as well.

Pretty good issue.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

This was a good issue. I liked that Gillen gave some insight on Shaw's motivation without excusing him or trying to redeem him. Some interesting setup for him with Mother Righteous, it's been a long time since Shaw has felt like a potential threat, I look forward to seeing that play out. I also enjoyed the Destiny and Exodus moments. I consider the Bennet scene confirmation that the character is queer, others will probably disagree. Werneck's art keeps getting better, lovely work this issue.