Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzystarr View Post
    Figures Shaw's whole personality boils down to "Daddy was a mean asshole that never hugged me so I'm gonna be an even bigger asshole" what a basic one trick pony pathetic but not surprising
    I had such a different understanding ... I started to cringe as well and felt like that was a red herring and telling even Shaw thought his daddy issues would come to haunt him in judgment. Nope. It was Emma and then found a new partner in Mother Righteous, which is a way more nuanced analysis of Mr. Toxic Masculinity than I was expecting.

Fantastic Member

I have a feeling Shaw making deals with this mother righteous won't work out like he thinks he might be able to BS humans and Mutants to get what he wants but some alien 'god" I doubt it she's likely gonna put him through the wringer

I forgot to say I havent been keeping up with LoX. What is Mother Righteous' deal and what exactly are her powers? Is she like a wish giver?

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I forgot to say I havent been keeping up with LoX. What is Mother Righteous' deal and what exactly are her powers? Is she like a wish giver?
    Thank you for asking because I too am not too familiar with Mother Righteous and her whole deal.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Rift this summary/synopsis/breakdown is fantastic but I'd like to emphasize my appreciation for your opening: "Picture it: Krakoa 2022"

Thanks for all the carefully crafted details. As usual, your flare for spotting the Julian of it all is never not amusing and adored. By me specifically. Me. I adore it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Great recap as always, Rift.
    Thank you thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    One thing I'm a bit confused about was the timeline.

Storm was not present for the vote because she was on Arakko fighting Uranos' weapons, but here she says she has to go back to fight them? Also she mentions Legion. I guess he did not die and somehow showed up to help later on?
    My interpretation is that the voting stuff was a test in Destiny's head, and the meeting after the vote took place after she recounted her test. Storm would then leave for Arakko for real shortly afterward. But it's also possible that they all shared the vision and Storm was excluded from it, sine we know others can see and experience other peoples' tests.

She's some sort of god, and she grants people their desires (or some version of them) in exchange for believing and supporting her. LoX establishes that gods gain power from how many people worship them. We don't know much about her beyond that, though my old theory is that she's the embodiment of the Spark, brought to life by the power of belief.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

She's some sort of entity on the Astral Plane who makes deals, trades ideas for power, stuff like that, but she hasn't appeared too much yet so we don't know a ton of details. I imagine we will learn more in Legion of X #5 (which I think probably would have come out before this if it hadn't been delayed so much).

Fantastic Member

I didn't really care for the "mean father" backstory, Sebastian's original backstory had him growing up extremely poor but seemingly having a decent relationship with his father, and I liked that just fine. It seems like they kept the "poverty" story intact, since Daddy Shaw says he is working to rebuild their fortunes. Otherwise, I thought the writing for Shaw was decent in this issue, he actually seemed to have some intelligence and dignity while being a completely awful person, and fully accepting that he is an awful person. Also, the line about "I'll save the fool.....and failing that, someone save my jacket." was perfect.

Also liked the single scene we saw of Emma's judgement.

Figures Shaw's whole personality boils down to "Daddy was a mean asshole that never hugged me so I'm gonna be an even bigger asshole" what a basic one trick pony pathetic but not surprising
    Lol, agreed.

This issue was the epitome of, “well, that is a good explanation, but not an excuse”, which is why I love the poetic justice of using Emma as his judge. Not his father. Daddy issues? How sad for tiny you, but how cute of adult you to think that will be your justification for who you are.

And it’s not like Emma passed either, but it seems the Celestial was not judging her for her past. Wish I could say the same for nay-sayers of Emma, who view her exactly as Sebastian does. Oh well.

I have a feeling Shaw making deals with this mother righteous won't work out like he thinks he might be able to BS humans and Mutants to get what he wants but some alien 'god" I doubt it she's likely gonna put him through the wringer
    I am really hoping it doesn’t work out due to Shaw’s hubris.

Mother Righteous states that the only payment she wishes from Legion for her services is recognition for her work. Not even to anyone in particular. Just in Legion’s head, admitting that she is the reason for that success.

As an arrogant bastard, I can totally see Shaw simply refusing to acknowledge Mother Righteous as the reason for his success and, instead, attributing it to his own cleverness in simply using Mother Righteous for his own means.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    She's some sort of god, and she grants people their desires (or some version of them) in exchange for believing and supporting her. LoX establishes that gods gain power from how many people worship them. We don't know much about her beyond that, though my old theory is that she's the embodiment of the Spark, brought to life by the power of belief.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    She's some sort of entity on the Astral Plane who makes deals, trades ideas for power, stuff like that, but she hasn't appeared too much yet so we don't know a ton of details. I imagine we will learn more in Legion of X #5 (which I think probably would have come out before this if it hadn't been delayed so much).
    Very interesting.
    Also interesting that it seems Selene has been working with her.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Is "Mutant church" just a metaphor for Krakoa or is he involved with The Spark? Because he hasnt been involved at all in Legion of X that I've read so far

lukas' art has grown so much, that one panel of Emma getting judged was absolutely amazing
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Starfox to Shaw: "The immortality secret is what started this. We'll have to work out something you can give up there..."
    Of course, it's not. What started this is eternals selecting Thanos and then Druig as their leader, so it'd be pretty bad for Mutants to end up paying some price for that.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Picture it: Krakoa, 2022. Sinister sends Destiny a telepathic message, spilling the tea on what he's been up to with the Aven-ternals. Destiny asks if he's coming back to help, but Sinister won't; he knows everyone is suspicious of him because of Dr. Stasis, so he wants to prove he's on Krakoa's side first.

If the world ends tomorrow, then all investments are bad. But if Shaw lives, he's immortal. And immortality requires finds of a similar magnitude.
    Meet Shaw's new business partner: Mother Righteous.

Notes:
    • Loving the connection to Legion of X. I remember people were talking about how the books felt less connected and cohesive. I think this will help.
    Great summary! Thanks for the write up. (How the hell could the 2nd Hellions and Hellion, Mercury, X-23 in particular not be her accusers? Seriously!!!)

I personally love Immortal X-Men when it is showcasing the true villains. Sinister and Shaw issues were absolutely fantastic, and I liked Emma and Destiny's a lot, as well. (Yes, I have ALWAYS considered Emma a villain--and think she makes a much better one when they write her true to herself than trying to make her a hero--and for exactly the same reasons Shaw gave in here!)

Question: Is Selene alive again? I thought they didn't resurrect her after Exodus snapped her neck, but wasn't sure if Shaw was referencing that she did traffic with MR or she was currently?
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Is "Mutant church" just a metaphor for Krakoa or is he involved with The Spark? Because he hasnt been involved at all in Legion of X that I've read so far
    He's been nudging Hope towards being a religious figure for mutants, and we've seen him ascend to dietyhood in a possible future. My hope is that he's making a competing religion to the Spark, based around Hope or the Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    Question: Is Selene alive again? I thought they didn't resurrect her after Exodus snapped her neck, but wasn't sure if Shaw was referencing that she did traffic with MR or she was currently?
    Selene is most likely dead. I probably didn't explain it well, but it seems that Selene dealt with MR up until her death. Shaw became interested in Selene's work, and though digging into it, discovered that she had been working with MR. I didn't mention it in the review, but MR thought that nobody else would be contacting her through this way, likely because no one but Selene would perform a Satanic ritual to summon her.
    Last edited by Rift; 09-07-2022 at 09:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.