Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Rings of Power here we go again

Well, here we go again
    https://www.cbr.com/lotr-stars-suppo...acist-attacks/

Second time this happened first with Obi-Won Kenobi "IT'S NOT THE PISS POOR WRITING AND CHARACTERIZATION IT'S BECUZ THEY R RACIST" crap going on.

I tell ya, creatives should just acknowledge when their product is bad instead of using racism as the weak excuse for poor reception of a show.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Well, here we go again
    https://www.cbr.com/lotr-stars-suppo...acist-attacks/

Second time this happened first with Obi-Won Kenobi "IT'S NOT THE PISS POOR WRITING AND CHARACTERIZATION IT'S BECUZ THEY R RACIST" crap going on.

I tell ya, creatives should just acknowledge when their product is bad instead of using racism as the weak excuse for poor reception of a show.
    Oh look. bait.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Also: wrong forum.

Wrong forum, there is a Rings of Power thread on the TV forum.

I think the show is getting slammed for its quality, even here on CBR:
    https://www.cbr.com/lotr-rings-of-po...o-prime-video/

And that's totally separate from troll ratings and review bombing.

BANNED

The first two episodes were actually much better than I was expecting. The only criticisms on the merits (as in, not racial in nature) I've seen are the horrible opening dialogue between Galadriel and her older brother (the rock looking downward, blech), Galadriel acting more like Legolas than herself, and I'd add overdoing it on the rising/epic music whenever the elves are doing anything. Also, their way of speaking is subdued and less engaging than the dwarves and hobbits.

Almost all of the backlash and downvoting has been pre-release of the show and coming from people reflexively hating on the show without giving it a chance. If there's a "here we go again" it's seeing invalid and way premature criticisms blunting the legitimate criticisms fans may have of the show (and any show is going to have weak points). You're actually helping, not hurting, Amazon's Rings.

I'm enjoying the show almost as I enjoyed Neil Gaiman correcting those whining about the casting of Lenny Henry that no, actually, the Harfoot Hobbits are discussed as being of darker skin in Tolkien's works.

Also, regarding the OP, you should look at the old expression "when hit dogs holler".
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

This is producers, cast, and crew falling into the same pitfall. Looks like even Neil Gaiman fell in. Most of the complaints are about the Harfoots as Hobbits or anything Hobbit adjacent had no significant role in the 2nd age so why even have them in there but all they address is minority of troll comments as that it the only criticism of the show. Personally it is the fact that the Harfoots are shown as being reclusive, self contained, and almost fearful of the outside world that the really should look homogenous.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    This is producers, cast, and crew falling into the same pitfall. Looks like even Neil Gaiman fell in. Most of the complaints are about the Harfoots as Hobbits or anything Hobbit adjacent had no significant role in the 2nd age so why even have them in there but all they address is minority of troll comments as that it the only criticism of the show. Personally it is the fact that the Harfoots are shown as being reclusive, self contained, and almost fearful of the outside world that the really should look homogenous.

Gaiman didn't put out any statement on the issue until someone asked him.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    I don't understand people being upset that everyone in the cast reacting to the trolling and harassment they have received. I don't think a single one has said that, "If you don't support the show then you must be a racist!" so why be upset that they're talking about the racism they're experiencing? If your reasons for not liking the show aren't racist then they're not talking about your criticism.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't understand people being upset that everyone in the cast reacting to the trolling and harassment they have received. I don't think a single one has said that, "If you don't support the show then you must be a racist!" so why be upset that they're talking about the racism they're experiencing? If your reasons for not liking the show aren't racist then they're not talking about your criticism.
    I have no problem with a cast member or worker on the show responding to racism. But like you I have not heard anyone associated with the show say the reason people do not like it is racism. I have heard that from people on the internet but no one from the cast and crew of the show.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I have no problem with a cast member or worker on the show responding to racism. But like you I have not heard anyone associated with the show say the reason people do not like it is racism. I have heard that from people on the internet but no one from the cast and crew of the show.
    You see, like most times, it's offensive to the people who ask the question, "Why are you making such an issue about the skin color of these fantasy characters?" that we would think their opinion might be racist. No one's allowed to question the optics that it even looks like their motivations might be racist. Because they're the victim, you see. Not getting to see an all-white cast, and then being told that's kinda distasteful. They just want a segregated entertainment industry, is that so much to ask?

Whether or not their factually wrong about what the source material might say, or just intolerant... they want to be able to have these factually or morally wrong opinions about race and not be questioned about it.

But if you question them, YOU STARTED THIS FIGHT. Or the creators started it by going with "woke" casting.

Whereas I dare to say, "If you want to leave a fandom over the skin color of any actor in it, there's the door. Leave, and don't darken the actual fandom's discourse by making THAT your focus."

Also, to the men griping that Galadriel isn't "ladylike" enough, I also think this episode of Sesame Street should be brought to you by the letters "G. T. F. & O."

People are way too focused on the race of fantasy races that never existed in the first place. A Black Hobbit! Its the end of the world. A Black Elf? Those Woke Jerks!

At the end of the day it depends on if the show is good or not. If people cant enjoy a show because of a Black Dwarf they were either never a fan to start with, never going to give it a real shot to begin with or have more issues then if they like or dislike a tv show. Or chances are it is all 3 mixed in.

I havnt seen the show yet. Still trying to get my mind right. But I have seen the ads and the trailers and I think it looks really good. Black Dwarves and all.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

People are way too focused on the race of fantasy races that never existed in the first place. A Black Hobbit! Its the end of the world. A Black Elf? Those Woke Jerks!

At the end of the day it depends on if the show is good or not. If people cant enjoy a show because of a Black Dwarf they were either never a fan to start with, never going to give it a real shot to begin with or have more issues then if they like or dislike a tv show. Or chances are it is all 3 mixed in.

I havnt seen the show yet. Still trying to get my mind right. But I have seen the ads and the trailers and I think it looks really good. Black Dwarves and all.
    I was thinking about it the other day... about the Robin Williams led adaption of Peter Pan, "Hook".

It leaves out all of Barries' problematic depictions of indigenous peoples... but more importantly... the Lost Boys are diverse. Not ONE line in the movie from any of the kids acknowledges it. It just IS. And they're kids who haven't been taught racism by any adults. So it never comes up. They don't bat an eyelash that Rufio is in charge in Peter's absence. It's not a big deal that Pockets sees Peter for who he is when none of the rest believe in him. And Thud Butt is given command by Peter after the fight's over, and he's going to leave Neverland.

If that movie came out today, Tucker Carlson would be spitting nails about it on Fox News for weeks on end, about it "going woke".

Again, to those who take issue with people of color being in their movie franchise adaptations, just go away quietly. Your complaints are ridiculous, and it's surprising that you can't see it.

Ultimate Member

It's a very bizarre discussion.

I was legit surprised that people were upset at black dwarves or elves.

It's like getting angry at black Kryptonians or black Martians, these are all fictional races.

I've only seen the first episode so far and I liked it a lot.

Regarding the constant whining from some people about black Elves - I counted 3 white male Elves that will probably have a large role and one black. Call me sceptical, but it doesn't seem to me like an attack on white men.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I was thinking about it the other day... about the Robin Williams led adaption of Peter Pan, "Hook".

It leaves out all of Barries' problematic depictions of indigenous peoples... but more importantly... the Lost Boys are diverse. Not ONE line in the movie from any of the kids acknowledges it. It just IS. And they're kids who haven't been taught racism by any adults. So it never comes up. They don't bat an eyelash that Rufio is in charge in Peter's absence. It's not a big deal that Pockets sees Peter for who he is when none of the rest believe in him. And Thud Butt is given command by Peter after the fight's over, and he's going to leave Neverland.

If that movie came out today, Tucker Carlson would be spitting nails about it on Fox News for weeks on end, about it "going woke".

Again, to those who take issue with people of color being in their movie franchise adaptations, just go away quietly. Your complaints are ridiculous, and it's surprising that you can't see it.
    Same with female-led stories. Imagine if Xena or Buffy, or even Charlie's Angels came out today, some people wpuld have meltdowns on youtube for days. It's as if a part of society has regressed once they found likeminded people on (anti)social media who just inflame each other.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred