Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

I really, really hope it doesn't turn into something dumb like "MJ found weird cloned babies and Peter refused to raise them because he's allergic to clones, that's why she left him and found someone else". I genuinely have no idea what could force her to break up with him or HOW Peter could mess up so badly entire city straight up hates him.

I'm usually really into solving mysteries and puzzles, but this one is more annoying than intriguing. I doubt "it will be worth it at the end" as Marvel promised.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    https://twitter.com/bestofmjwatson/s...25090022928384

(When Spidey Super Stories handles MJ better than the current run on ASM.)
    This is what should have happened in ASM #9.

Check your male privilege, Moira!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post

Seriously though how?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Spectacular Member

Read the new issue on read all comics and didn’t care for it…MJ at the end comes off…rather off screaming about responsibility when Peter wants to talk…I don’t know…I feel this world shattering reveal will be a meh because we are 9 issues in and we have no clue of what happened at all.

This was a lot of fun. I would put this in my number two spot today behind x-men red. The cuckoos scene was a bit much with them looking like 30 year old victoria secret models rather than teens but other than that the art was really good, very expressive. easily 9.5/10 for me. Loved the last scene.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Most of you might have noticed this already, but I finally understood the 'Peter and Paul' reference that Wells is going for.

It all clicked for me when they were fighting Moira XI in a cathedral. Wells always goes for the Christian-adjacent metaphor in his work so I'm not sure why I didn't see it before.

I guess Peter really is the rock upon which God (Mary Jane) formed her church, but Paul is the father of her children?
    And here comes the Devil (Madelyne Pyror) from Limbo to destroy all of their lives.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alanyoung909 View Post
    Most of you might have noticed this already, but I finally understood the 'Peter and Paul' reference that Wells is going for.

It all clicked for me when they were fighting Moira XI in a cathedral. Wells always goes for the Christian-adjacent metaphor in his work so I'm not sure why I didn't see it before.

I guess Peter really is the rock upon which God (Mary Jane) formed her church, but Paul is the father of her children?
    And here comes the Devil (Madelyne Pyror) from Limbo to destroy all of their lives.
    Or Paul is a demon and the children are also from Limbo

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post

MJ being able to defend herself really seems to upset you.

That "responsibility" line...ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That "responsibility" line...ugh.
    The lack of context for anything makes this split feel so artificial. The recap page just telling the reader that "MJ has moved on from him" only makes it worse.

Astonishing Member

The weakest issue in what is turning out to be a subpar run so far.

Wells started off fairly strongly with his five-part Tombstone arc; sure, the mystery boxes wore out their welcome almost immediately and Wells made Tombstone the star at the expense of turning Peter into a nerfed patsy, but there was some originality and wit to his writing and the arc was solidly constructed.

Then ASM 900 crapped the bed with an unfunny, pointless Silver Age homage that was wholly unconnected from the larger story and portrayed every character OOC, with the female characters faring especially badly. Followed by a thin Vulture two-parter that started off as if it would at least do for Adrian Toomes what Wells did for Tombstone, only for the story to turn into a wholly contrived excuse for Peter to beg the murderer of Gwen Stacy for a corporate suit and over the top tech toys that Peter has never needed to be effective and has always given up using before - yawn, this again? - with the cringe emoji helmet being the comic book definition of "how do you do, fellow kids?" trying too hard.

But this issue serves zero purpose except as a sequel to a plot point in Hellfire Gala (with Moira's story already resolved in Hellfire Gala itself, thus spoiling the resolution of this issue's story - we already knew Moira survived). But Hellfire Gala was probably off most Spider-Man fans' radar and doubtful many X-Men fans are going to cross over to read a paint-by-numbers team up that wastes Greycrow and only does the bare minimum with Wolverine. And again, Hellfire Gala readers already knew Moira's plan succeeded, so no need to read this for the X-Men greater story.

spoilers:
    Peter is once again a chump in his own book, ten steps behind Wolverine who drives all the action forward. It's Wolverine who comes up with the plan to rescue MJ, Wolverine who tells MJ what to do, Wolverine who retrieves the EMP device necessary for the rescue, Wolverine who determines they should use Gateway instead of the portal, Wolverine who is in communication with Greycrow. Wolverine even manages to pick up Peter's goblin costume so Peter can change out of his Hellfire Gala outfit. As an issue of the Amazing Wolverine, it was okay but the usual chemistry between Wolverine and Spidey was missing.

As an issue of the Amazing Spider-Man: it's not. The story is incredibly slight. Gleason's terrific artwork is the sole reason to look at this issue, which is a good thing because Wells's script is so thin, pages are taken up by large panels of action that look great but don't really move the plot forward. It's a painfully on-the-nose story: damsel is kidnapped, heroes come to her rescue, villain gets away (which again we knew would happen because Moira reappears at the end of the Hellfire Gala issue). Moira is given none of the nuance Wells gave to Tombstone and started to give to Toomes; she's such a generic bad guy, she's even lost her Scottish accent. We don't learn anything new; people are excited because Peter calls MJ the most important person in his life but he was introduced stalking her apartment and calling her when she asked him not to in ASM 1, so it's not like we thought Peter didn't care about MJ; the questions have always been why is MJ is ghosting Peter and where did Paul and the kids came from, and all that continues to be locked in the mystery box.
    end of spoilers

There are complaints online that people are only paying attention to the last two pages of this issue, but that's because the last two pages are the only ones that feel connected to the larger ASM story, and again the mystery box is still tightly locked so even those two pages are not necessary to read if you are interested in the bigger story, just like the rest of the issue. MJ's response to Peter is nonsensical and not worth trying to parse, even for me who overthinks everything.

You could probably pull this issue out of the trade collection or the overall run and never miss it.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 09-14-2022 at 11:04 PM.

The lack of context for anything makes this split feel so artificial. The recap page just telling the reader that "MJ has moved on from him" only makes it worse.
    It's clear how she's holding onto him and almost called out his name when she thought he was hurt. It's clear she hasn't moved on, it's the responsibility line. So it's back to Paul is controlling the situation

Astonishing Member

9 issues of the multiple mystery boxes bullcrap and not a single clue, except that Paul punched Peter once (which is another mystery box in itself)

The expression is "show, don't tell" but the book keeps telling the reader how it is.

This is a big reason this run has the reception that it does.

Heard a rumor the sales aren't great or where they hoped it would be so they are doing the reveals and a resolution in Dark Web and recoup their losses with a bunch of tie ins and other mins and books so this run can look better financially for the 60th anniversary