Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

I may be bored with the Original Green goblin. He may be over used when comes to hurting Peter. I am interested in were it goes with good Norman and the gold goblin but I may prefer it ending with his death than him going evil again.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    She shouldn't be this passive when somebody is threatening her life like this. It's poor character writing. There's a lot of poor character writing in this run.

(Where's the woman who kicked the Chameleon's ass when he threatened her?)
    Beat him so badly he forgot who Spider-Man was, no less.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

She shouldn't be this passive when somebody is threatening her life like this. It's poor character writing. There's a lot of poor character writing in this run.

(Where's the woman who kicked the Chameleon's ass when he threatened her?)
    she aint surrounded by chameleon leveled opponents
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Don’t have a lot of interest in this story (though I’m morbidly curious how Chasm will be handled). I haven’t read the X-books since the 90s/early 2000s, so it’s weird seeing Moira as a villain (said the Ben Reilly fan). Also, I’m not a fan of MJ being a damsel in distress, especially when the villain doesn’t even know her connection to Spidey. Has it even been explained why she went after MJ? I do like the art, and I also like the reintroduction of cute word balloons on the cover (reminds me of the 80s and 90s).

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Don’t have a lot of interest in this story (though I’m morbidly curious how Chasm will be handled). I haven’t read the X-books since the 90s/early 2000s, so it’s weird seeing Moira as a villain (said the Ben Reilly fan). Also, I’m not a fan of MJ being a damsel in distress, especially when the villain doesn’t even know her connection to Spidey. Has it even been explained why she went after MJ? I do like the art, and I also like the reintroduction of cute word balloons on the cover (reminds me of the 80s and 90s).
    I think MJ was just a convenient way to get into Krakoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    she aint surrounded by chameleon leveled opponents
    Chameleon's been a baddie for about 60 years (around 35 years when she beat the Chameleon). Moira's been a baddie for around a year (or a few years if you want to argue it's been the case since HoX/PoX). She hasn't proven herself to have any kind of staying power. And with how one-dimensional she has been, I'd be very surprised if she lasted even another few years.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 09-10-2022 at 01:35 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Mary Jane has obviously been exposed to super powered people but I've NEVER considered her a "bad azz" and stand up to just any villain.

She can be brave and take action when warranted. But I wouldn't expect her to just act in a situation where she has no advantage. She's not super powered, so why would she attmept to throw her weight around or push a villains buttons unless she knew someone was coming to intervene on her behalf.
    It's bad sexist writing when Mary Jane doesn't defeat the villain in the first few pages of part 1 of a story. She is the most badass character of them all! She shot the Rhino with her gun in her first appearance!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    It's bad sexist writing when Mary Jane doesn't defeat the villain in the first few pages of part 1 of a story
    This isn't a "part one", it's a part two, and it's the only ASM issue that's dealing with the events of the Gala.

Chameleon's been a baddie for about 60 years (around 35 years when she beat the Chameleon). Moira's been a baddie for around a year (or a few years if you want to argue it's been the case since HoX/PoX). She hasn't proven herself to have any kind of staying power. And with how one-dimensional she has been, I'd be very surprised if she lasted even another few years.
    I wasn’t talking about reputation I was talking about power. Just cause you have a reputation doesn’t make you better than someone new. Is chameleon better than thanos? I never hear any praises for chameleon just the usual Mj kick his ass with a bat.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    This isn't a "part one", it's a part two, and it's the only ASM issue that's dealing with the events of the Gala.
    Agree.

And it’s not about “defeating.” It’s how she’s written as a helpless meek damsel doormat both in Hellfire Gala and by Zeb Wells. It’s poor writing, period.

But one has to understand what characterization is to get that.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 09-10-2022 at 07:19 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Agree.

And it’s not about “defeating.” It’s how she’s written as a helpless meek damsel doormat both in Hellfire Gala and by Zeb Wells. It’s poor writing, period.

But one has to understand what characterization is to get that.
    Poor character writing for some. Not so for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    I wasn’t talking about reputation I was talking about power. Just cause you have a reputation doesn’t make you better than someone new. Is chameleon better than thanos? I never hear any praises for chameleon just the usual Mj kick his ass with a bat.
    Evil Robot Moira is not Thanos either. We've seen how MJ is with Norman Osborn. A villain that she knows who has personally killed friends of hers. She attacks him. She berates him. She once shot him.

Are you going to really say that MJ should be more afraid of this evil robot than the Green Goblin?

No, it's poor character writing whether someone thinks so or not. She doesn't act like this when she's in the presence of Norman Osborn, a character that by all rights she should be afraid of.

It's bad sexist writing when Mary Jane doesn't defeat the villain in the first few pages of part 1 of a story. She is the most badass character of them all! She shot the Rhino with her gun in her first appearance!
    Do you think this is good writing? Or do you just want to mock people who don't like this?
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 09-10-2022 at 08:21 AM.

Yeah, I'm not expecting her to be judo-flipping Moira but I think she should come off more defiant and steely around her.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I'm not expecting her to be judo-flipping Moira but I think she should come off more defiant and steely around her.
    She should be essential in defeating Moira by the end of the issue, but these preview pages do not inspire confidence.

Astonishing Member

No. Bad writing is bad writing. It might not bother you, but that has nothing to do with whether a story is well crafted or not.

If that's what you think happened in ASM 43, no wonder you appear very confused about the points people are making. Maybe you should try rereading, both the comic book and what people are actually saying.

If you are purposefully misreading and mocking, that's not very welcoming and friendly, as you have often said.

No, it's poor character writing whether someone thinks so or not.
    Bingo. Characterization is not a "choose your own adventure" despite how Dan Slott writes in general and how Zeb Wells writes MJ and despite the editors letting them get away with it.

Bad characterization is objectively bad characterization.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 09-10-2022 at 10:04 AM.