Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default The new Quantum Leap

I would have liked it if they did the reboot by keeping the original Quantum Leap story but with a new cast. But they decided to make it a complete reboot anyways.

I don't mind the new cast and storyline. But just dumping on the original like that kinda hurts.

If I understand you, the mere idea of a reboot is "dumping" on the original? (reboot means starting over from scratch,(i.e. "Battlestar Galactica") as opposed to a sequel that follows the story and characters of the original)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-08-2022 at 03:26 PM.

BANNED

This isn't a reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by ilostmyplace View Post
    I would have liked it if they did the reboot by keeping the original Quantum Leap story but with a new cast. But they decided to make it a complete reboot anyways.

I don't mind the new cast and storyline. But just dumping on the original like that kinda hurts.
    I also tend to prefer continuations, even if they are nothing more than acknowledgement that the original happened.

Who knows? Maybe it will turn out that he discovers that Sam Beckett's actions in the past erased the original Quantum Leap project from ever existing. But saying Quantum Leap Begins Again certainly acknowledges the original and what the trailer shows tends to imply very similar plots. Maybe they just felt they'd have more freedom if they started over.
    Power with Girl is better.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

I don't know how to feel about this yet tbh. I also think it won't last long.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I get that QL started as a "NBC Original", but with more premium TV offerings, it deserves better than still being stuck as an NBC Original. This seems cheap and dingy. I'm a huge QL fan but I regrettably have to pass.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Watched the trailer. Looks decent but a bit "cheap" and I'm not sure if this will be successful. There's so many TV shows competing for viewers these days!

Huge Quantum Leap fan some of my favorite memories growing up was watching it with my mum. My mum and I had 4 shows threw my childhood we bonded over 1st Grizzly Adams, Days of our Lives, Highlander, and Quantum Leap.

It looks decent two complaints

1: This isn't their fault given the concept of Leaping in one's lifetime but the 50's to 80's seemed more epic with Jim Crow and the Civil Right movement, Women's Rights, The Cold War, and Vietnam.

2: I can't stand the idea of the "Al" type character being in love with the leaper.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I thought from what I have heard this is not a reboot at all. It is a sequel with them restarting the Quantum Leap program some 30 years latter after Sam had disappeared from their sensors. The new crew knows all about the previous QL experiment and Sam and Al and have been studying it and now they think they have perfected it.

Thats what I thought they said about what kind of show this is anyway.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ilostmyplace View Post

This isn't a reboot

‘Quantum Leap’ Team on Modern Sequel’s Connection to the Original Series

“it's not a reboot. It takes place thirtysomething years from where the original show ended up, so it still exists in that timeline, and we acknowledge the Quantum Leap program.” (Bellisario remains an executive producer, as does original co-EP/narrator Deborah Pratt.) “We want to deliver a show that feels like it has a reverence for the O.G. Leap,” Gero continues. “But we also want the feel to be modern and something new fans will love.”
    It's been nearly 30 years since Dr. Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished. Now, a new team, led by physicist Ben Song (Raymond Lee), has been assembled to restart the project in hope of understanding the mysteries behind the machine and the man who created it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Huge Quantum Leap fan some of my favorite memories growing up was watching it with my mum. My mum and I had 4 shows threw my childhood we bonded over 1st Grizzly Adams, Days of our Lives, Highlander, and Quantum Leap.

It looks decent two complaints

1: This isn't their fault given the concept of Leaping in one's lifetime but the 50's to 80's seemed more epic with Jim Crow and the Civil Right movement, Women's Rights, The Cold War, and Vietnam.

2: I can't stand the idea of the "Al" type character being in love with the leaper.
    3: The "team" aspect to the story when you tell a story like QL you have 40 minutes to set the world up, achieve the goal and move on. Every episode really needs to be it's own thing and it's not going to be that.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm an OG Leaper fan. As another mentioned this was a show my parents had no issue with me watching as a middle schooler.
    If my homework was done I could sit down and watch this while everyone else did something else. Often times there would be episodes where my mom would end up watching with me.
    I really only remember dad watching the Lee Harvey Oswald episodes in totality.

I'll give this one a chance.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

One cool thing I didn't realize until now Ernie Hudson who is leading the Leap Program amd is playing the African American soldier Sam leaped into during Vietnam when he saved his brother.

I enjoyed the original Quantum Leap until the very end of the final episode, when they announced that Sam Beckett never returned home. My problem was that a previous episode revealed that he had a beloved wife who'd been patiently waiting. I wish this new show would at least mention that Mrs. Beckett has been joining Sam on his adventures.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan