Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

My favorite OGQL episode is Honeymoon Express. It's got the effects of the leap shown (one of the very few examples) on screen as well as disagreement between Sam and Al, Not that disagreement is a key point, but it helps to see the two show different sides and opinions, even though both are dedicated and super competent. It's the key episode fopr someone unfamiliar with the show to get a great idea of what it is all about.

Points to The Leap Back for the project and Donna scenes (with her asking to see a star with light far enough away for her to see it at the time Sam is currently at). And Al's leaping!
    I値l don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

I finally saw the third episode of the new QL.

Although not as big as Atlantis, the stakes here (middleweight championship) still were pretty big compared to most OGQL leaps.
    Points to this episode for the good Darryl did after the leap.
    Handling the exhausting effects on Addison was a good part of the writing. Al sometimes had periods when he wasn't available and we can assume he slept, ate, and went potty.
    Janis is getting darker in this episode. Although it appears she could be working for a good cause, her current path is questionable.
    I'd love this episode for the original handlink alone.

More to the general show as opposed to this episode specifically:
    It's difficult to ascertain just what is a secret and what hasn't been revealed to us yet.
    Has it been stated anywhere that time passes the same for the leaper and for people at the base? This applies to both new and OG.
    "Ten, maybe closer to twenty leaps?" sounds like a season long arc ending in a season finale BIG leap.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    "Ten, maybe closer to twenty leaps?" sounds like a season long arc ending in a season finale BIG leap.
    If they don't get cancelled first.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    If they don't get cancelled first.
    I think that's been prepared for. The number was ten, probably closer to twenty. Shows with a season arc to start sometimes have a plan if they don't get a full season. Looking at the first season of 24, there seemed to be a possible finish at 1pm (13 episodes). I think use of the number ten was picked to account for a half season. But hey, no one has thought of the show possibly getting cancelled. You may want to take out ad space and let the network and show producers know about this possibility.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Thats good cause I want to see it but have not gotten around to it yet.
    I'm backlogged and finishing Sandman then moving to She-Hulk which is about to wrap.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I've watched the first four episodes so far. I think it is OKAY. I like that they are doing THEIR story while tying to the original series instead of completely forgetting about it. However, I don't find the leap stories quite as compelling so far. I was more interested in the leap stories of the original series while I'm more interested in the Quantum Leap project stories in the here and now. But that could change, I guess it all depends on how the show develops over more time.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I've watched the first four episodes so far. I think it is OKAY. I like that they are doing THEIR story while tying to the original series instead of completely forgetting about it. However, I don't find the leap stories quite as compelling so far. I was more interested in the leap stories of the original series while I'm more interested in the Quantum Leap project stories in the here and now. But that could change, I guess it all depends on how the show develops over more time.
    The new format with its split narrative simply doesn't have as much time to develop the Leap stories like the old show. This feels more like a police procedural with a crime of the week, especially ones where the cases touch upon what the main characters are going through. Sam was used as a vehicle to tell stories about other characters - this show flips that.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 10-11-2022 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The new format with its split narrative simply doesn't have as much time to develop the Leap stories like the old show. This feels more like a police procedural with a crime of the week, especially ones where the cases touch upon what the main characters are going through. Sam was used as a vehicle to tell stories about other characters - this show flips that.
    That is true. OGQL had two basic story flows. Sam and the combo of Sam and Al. The new version has Ben, Ben and Addison, plus the various characters in the present who all seem to have their own agendas. There's a much wider view than the original, but the same amount of time or a couple of minutes less depending on amount of commercials possibly increasing since then. The series isn't about the leaps, it's about trying to get Ben and Sam home.

If the show had the same project time that the original had, is the renewed attempt to find Sam even that possible? In that case, a reboot where some parts are updated would work just as well. Or a Trek TNG type show where Kirk and crew were occasionally mentioned.

This show, IMO, would work better as with longer episode, even if fewer leaps. I still love it as is though, because the new focus is what the QL fan who was so disappointed in the finale needed.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

That is true. OGQL had two basic story flows. Sam and the combo of Sam and Al. The new version has Ben, Ben and Addison, plus the various characters in the present who all seem to have their own agendas. There's a much wider view than the original, but the same amount of time or a couple of minutes less depending on amount of commercials possibly increasing since then. The series isn't about the leaps, it's about trying to get Ben and Sam home.

If the show had the same project time that the original had, is the renewed attempt to find Sam even that possible? In that case, a reboot where some parts are updated would work just as well. Or a Trek TNG type show where Kirk and crew were occasionally mentioned.

This show, IMO, would work better as with longer episode, even if fewer leaps. I still love it as is though, because the new focus is what the QL fan who was so disappointed in the finale needed.
    You bring up a great point--I wonder if the new show would be better suited by a format where every leap is two episodes?

The original QL really let you get into the life of the person Sam had leaped into, and the guest stars had chances to shine. There are a lot of quiet character moments whereas here you feel like the leap is pushed forward by expositional dialogue. Characters saying the kind of things they need to push the narrative forward as opposed to living in the moment and "show, not tell." It's not bad by any stretch but does feel rushed.

Or maybe they could cut down just a bit on the flashing forward. One of the big problems with a large ensemble cast is you're constantly having to find new angles for them anyway--so maybe don't burn through their arcs so fast? There would be something kind of cool about being almost as in the dark about what's happening in the present day as Ben is.

As a big fan of the original, I was fine with the ending - I didn't need to see Sam get home. He was still out there fixing lives and I was okay with that.

I loved Magic retelling the story of when Sam Leaped into his life. It's an interesting tweak though, where Magic says he "opened the door" or something ... was that just to show that the people Sam Leaped into gave consent? That's a can of worms ... what if someone didn't give consent? Will they retcon that some people did refuse and Sam just went elsewhere? I listened to see if they'd indicate whether they were retconning or confirming the previous show's Leaping mechanics, but Magic makes no mention of the Waiting Room and doesn't say that Sam was in his body, so ... that's still murky. It seems they just retconned the old show and are moving on...?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    As a big fan of the original, I was fine with the ending - I didn't need to see Sam get home. He was still out there fixing lives and I was okay with that.

I loved Magic retelling the story of when Sam Leaped into his life. It's an interesting tweak though, where Magic says he "opened the door" or something ... was that just to show that the people Sam Leaped into gave consent? That's a can of worms ... what if someone didn't give consent? Will they retcon that some people did refuse and Sam just went elsewhere? I listened to see if they'd indicate whether they were retconning or confirming the previous show's Leaping mechanics, but Magic makes no mention of the Waiting Room and doesn't say that Sam was in his body, so ... that's still murky. It seems they just retconned the old show and are moving on...?
    I wonder if the reason for the change will be explained in-universe? Sam messed with the timeline multiple times so maybe the QL project changed but if they ran into Sam perhaps he would remember the waiting room existing just like he'd remember Al being a womanizer with several failed marriages.

I think it's kind of weird they went with this instead of just saying the current project had changed how things work...but maybe they just didn't want to deal with the complicated logistics of Sam leaping in his own body.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I wonder if the reason for the change will be explained in-universe? Sam messed with the timeline multiple times so maybe the QL project changed but if they ran into Sam perhaps he would remember the waiting room existing just like he'd remember Al being a womanizer with several failed marriages.

I think it's kind of weird they went with this instead of just saying the current project had changed how things work...but maybe they just didn't want to deal with the complicated logistics of Sam leaping in his own body.
    Sam's made a considerable number of leaps that affected his own life and the project. The most obvious was in "Leap for Lisa" where the observer is replaced when Al's death gets a 100% probability. It would be easy to make any retcons based on those leaps. As for the leap into Magic, we are told that there was some acceptance of the leap into their body. There was a memory gap for the leap's duration and the leapee doesn't remember being in the waiting room. Jimmy (I do want to see Jimmy again) was leapt into twice but we saw nothing about any remembrance form anyone about the leap, only its effects. The idea that there are 100 or so leapees with memory gaps seems problematic to me. My head canon was that the leapee remembered what Sam did, but they thought they did it also with some aspect of Sam dwelling within their personality.

But is Magic's leap a typical leap? Or is he an exception? I am willing to accept it's a different situation and that Fate, Time, or Whatever knew Magic was important and set him up to fulfill his role.

Anyway, I want Jimmy and I demand Bruce McGill make some kind of appearance.

Sam's made a considerable number of leaps that affected his own life and the project. The most obvious was in "Leap for Lisa" where the observer is replaced when Al's death gets a 100% probability. It would be easy to make any retcons based on those leaps. As for the leap into Magic, we are told that there was some acceptance of the leap into their body. There was a memory gap for the leap's duration and the leapee doesn't remember being in the waiting room. Jimmy (I do want to see Jimmy again) was leapt into twice but we saw nothing about any remembrance form anyone about the leap, only its effects. The idea that there are 100 or so leapees with memory gaps seems problematic to me. My head canon was that the leapee remembered what Sam did, but they thought they did it also with some aspect of Sam dwelling within their personality.

But is Magic's leap a typical leap? Or is he an exception? I am willing to accept it's a different situation and that Fate, Time, or Whatever knew Magic was important and set him up to fulfill his role.

Anyway, I want Jimmy and I demand Bruce McGill make some kind of appearance.
    I wonder how my leapees got back and thought "Why is this broad kissing me? Oh well she's hot I'll roll it."

That's how I tend to see it, too. I thought there was some kind of personality overlap, like how Sam tended to very quickly develop attachments to the leapee's friends and family.