Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I finally got caught up on the new show last night. I'll preface my review by saying I am a HUGE fan of the original Quantum Leap and any continuation or reboot of the series, especially one that didn't include Sam or Al as the main characters, was going to have an uphill battle with me from the start.

SPOILERS AHEAD...

The original Quantum Leap was developed as a recap of the second half of the 20th century from the most human perspective possible. Bellisario could have allowed for Sam to go all the way back to the dawn of time, all the way to the end of times, and everywhere in between. But he kept the show confined to a 40 year period (more or less), some because of budget but mostly because he wanted to provide commentary of that most recent period of human history. It's also the reason why there were only a handful of episodes that depicted Sam's originating time period. Showing where Sam came from wasn't really relevant to the purpose of the show. Now, I fully understand had Quantum Leap continued, we likely would have seen Sam leap into the future and further back in the past. But that would have been done to maintain sagging ratings, not to stay in line with its original premise. Science fiction was always a McGuffin with Quantum Leap.

With the new show, I feel like the social commentary is completely missing and it's all about the Sci-Fi. That's not terrible per se but with 30 years of time since the original was canceled, I would think you'd have quite a bit for which to comment. The closest I felt we got to social commentary with the new show was the boxing episode and the very brief PTSD plot element. Otherwise, it feels like the leaps are the McGuffin and the main plot/mystery with the Project, Al's daughter, and Ben's motivations for leaping are more important.

I HATE that they made the leaper/hologram dynamic a romantic one, and then compounded it by having Ben remember their relationship before any real conflict could arise. My only hope is that the show is moving towards Janice taking over as Ben's guide and removing the romantic subplot. It doesn't help that I don't think there's any real chemistry between Ben and Madison, although both work well as characters separate from each other.

I also don't understand why they removed the host/waiting room element and established it's Ben's mind leaping but not his body. If that's the case, where the hell is Ben's body in the present? It was very clear in the original show that Sam's entire body was leaping, and it was an aura or whatever of the leapee that surrounded him. Al even told Sam their ability to locate him was dependent upon the leapee jumping forward to the waiting room (hence why they almost didn't find Sam when he leaped into himself in the final episode). If this was the direction they were going, and especially with the lack of social commentary and "fish out of water" experience, I don't understand why they didn't just have Ben leap into the past as himself.

Having said all that, the show isn't terrible by any stretch but I could also see why Scott Bakula didn't have an interest to return based on these scripts. I'll ride it out, if nothing else than to see if they resolve some of the mystery before the end of the season. I'm hearing it may be it's only season based on its ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I'm hearing it may be it's only season based on its ratings.
    FWIW, NBC granted the show a 6-episode extension. Good news for its future, but of course I'm sure a next season pickup will depend on how it does with those 6 eps.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    FWIW, NBC granted the show a 6-episode extension. Good news for its future, but of course I'm sure a next season pickup will depend on how it does with those 6 eps.
    I hope the show knows if they get a second season before they plan the season finale.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    It seems the story line now is that the Leaper (Sam or Ben) takes over the body of the person in the past but this doesn't jibe with some of the original episodes of QL. There were times when Sam was defintely is his own body and not the 'Leapee's' body.

Like the time when Sam leaped into the life of a 'Nam vet was had his lower legs blown off. Sam was able to stand up straight and a mirror image showed him to be 'floating' in the air and later he dove into a swimming pool to save a quadraplegic who was trying to drown himself.

Then there was the episode where he leaped into the life of a blind pianist except he could see perfectly fine. Couldn't do that if he leaped into the pianist's body instead of just switching places with him.

There was also that 3 part story where Sam leaped into the same small town during different time periods and ended up fathering a daughter and passed on some of his intelligence to her where she ended up working on the Quantum Leap project trying to bring Sam back.

And it leaves a plot hole that if Ben is just taking over someone's body during a leap then what happened to his body? If his mind is traveling through time shouldn't his body be in the present in some kind of coma?
    if they are (as I think) using quantum super positions all of that still works. Yes Ben's body is there, but so too is the target of the leap. basicly getting the best of both.
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

The change in body/soul leaping might have an in-show explanation. Admittedly I made all this up, but it could work. Sam had dozens of leaps. In many of those leaps Sam affected his own past. Sometimes it was as subtle as calling his father, or helping Marilyn Monroe live long enough to make another movie which Sam saw. There were also major effects like seeing his wife Donna, getting funding in Honeymoon Express, jumping into himself as a youth, and then into magic. He also leaped into Al. His final leap that we saw had Al's wife Beth learning Al was still alive and changing Al's life considerably. Sam's biological daughter worked for the project as well. With all these changes while we were focused on Sam mean that the ideas to change the basic leaping methodology started to take root?

I can see it going either way, but when a man who had been leapted into and spent time in the waiting room is running the project, I certainly think that would be a big part of the overall strategy and really needs to be mentioned especially if it is different.

Watched a few episodes decent show but personally I'd like 2 changes.

1: Drop the "present" day storylines as major plots.

2: Drop Jenn and Addison.

I'm not a fan of the fiancée angle with Addison and Jenn is pretty useless taking up airtime that could be spent with Ben. After dropping them make Janis a regular working in the present as support for "Magic" (you gotta keep Ernie Hudson he's Ernie Hudson). Next make Ian the holographic observer for Ben. Why Ian? Ian is IMO the most interesting of the Present-Day characters and them being non-Binary adds an unintentional homage to Al. While a traditional man mostly Al had one very untraditional aspect to him his fashion sense and a non-binary who isn't a slave to social norms would be a nice continuation of Al's own unique fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Watched a few episodes decent show but personally I'd like 2 changes.

1: Drop the "present" day storylines as major plots.

2: Drop Jenn and Addison.

I'm not a fan of the fiancée angle with Addison and Jenn is pretty useless taking up airtime that could be spent with Ben. After dropping them make Janis a regular working in the present as support for "Magic" (you gotta keep Ernie Hudson he's Ernie Hudson). Next make Ian the holographic observer for Ben. Why Ian? Ian is IMO the most interesting of the Present-Day characters and them being non-Binary adds an unintentional homage to Al. While a traditional man mostly Al had one very untraditional aspect to him his fashion sense and a non-binary who isn't a slave to social norms would be a nice continuation of Al's own unique fashion.
    Can't argue with where you're going. The Addison/Ben story was a lot more interesting when he didn't remember her and she wasn't sure of him. Now, he remembers her and she totally has faith in him, despite the mystery surrounding his actions. Yes also to more Janis and less Jenn. Ian would do a great job as Al 2.0 and it would pull less focus on the present day plot. Maybe whatever Ben is trying to save Addison from is fated to come true no matter what and you'll get your wishes in the next season.

I spent way too much time thinking about this, but...

If the producers got Bakula for an appearance, I doubt the news would be made public. My reasoning is with Bakula there, the choices are either Sam comes home (huge spoiler in itself) or something that would really piss off fandom, even less hardcore OG fans. A similar situation happened on Julianna Margulies' final regular appearance on ER and whether or not George Clooney would appear there. Thinking about it this way allows me to believe that Scott appearing is more possible than outside evidence would show.

Dont Networks understand that mid season breaks actually hurt more than help shows, especially ones that were ramping up and then BAM...That is what I am feeling about QL right now...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I spent way too much time thinking about this, but...

If the producers got Bakula for an appearance, I doubt the news would be made public. My reasoning is with Bakula there, the choices are either Sam comes home (huge spoiler in itself) or something that would really piss off fandom, even less hardcore OG fans. A similar situation happened on Julianna Margulies' final regular appearance on ER and whether or not George Clooney would appear there. Thinking about it this way allows me to believe that Scott appearing is more possible than outside evidence would show.
    I guess I'm just not as big about bringing Sam back home at this point as other fans likely are. Sam has been gone almost 30 years and Al is dead. What would he really be coming home to? I just don't see the payoff anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I guess I'm just not as big about bringing Sam back home at this point as other fans likely are. Sam has been gone almost 30 years and Al is dead. What would he really be coming home to? I just don't see the payoff anymore.
    And that's a good question. Looking at the original series, Sam has really tweaked his own timeline. He now has a wife and daughter. Al had his family. Plus thirty years have passed. You're correct in seeing that a trip home for Sam wouldn't be problem-free. I agree it's the fans wanting to see Sam return more so than making Sam's life better. Maybe Sam pulling a Walter White moment and admitting he's doing it for himself and decides to continue leaping.

OGQL was a basic procedural where a one-episode ending could have been done and run to applause any May. NuQL is an arc driven show based on the project's original goal getting Sam home. Other hidden factors and subplots have been introduced to bring the focus off Sam and more onto Ben and others. I admit to being a butthurt fanboy lamenting a misspelled cue card from decades ago. But I do realize that the situation with producing a 21st century show has challenges far beyond giving me a happy ending.

My idea for now: let Sam agree to continue leaping. Bring Bakula back for rare occasional appearances but focus on the here and now.

NuQL is an arc driven show based on the project's original goal getting Sam home.
    Is it? I think they're teasing us, but nothing in the show says that's what Ben's goal is.

I was fine with the original ending, and if they ever do show Sam, I kinda hope it's just another actor(s) playing Sam as someone he's lept into. And even then, just to let him go on leaping - this was his life's work and it's not a bad ending. Ben will then probably choose a different path. (and if they get a season 3, maybe Addison will take over just to keep the love-birds apart)

And that's a good question. Looking at the original series, Sam has really tweaked his own timeline. He now has a wife and daughter. Al had his family. Plus thirty years have passed. You're correct in seeing that a trip home for Sam wouldn't be problem-free. I agree it's the fans wanting to see Sam return more so than making Sam's life better. Maybe Sam pulling a Walter White moment and admitting he's doing it for himself and decides to continue leaping.

OGQL was a basic procedural where a one-episode ending could have been done and run to applause any May. NuQL is an arc driven show based on the project's original goal getting Sam home. Other hidden factors and subplots have been introduced to bring the focus off Sam and more onto Ben and others. I admit to being a butthurt fanboy lamenting a misspelled cue card from decades ago. But I do realize that the situation with producing a 21st century show has challenges far beyond giving me a happy ending.

My idea for now: let Sam agree to continue leaping. Bring Bakula back for rare occasional appearances but focus on the here and now.
    The way to have brought Sam home would have been to start the new series saying he came back shortly after the original's finale and reunited with his friends and family. Establishing that he's still been gone this whole time pretty much kills any payoff as a fan I would have enjoyed 30 years ago in terms of him returning home, especially since Al died.

It's like a prisoner who's been wrongly imprisoned for decades suddenly getting released. It's nice but the probability is that adjusting to home life would be extremely difficult.

Yeah, I don't need to see Sam come home, but it'd be interesting to see Sam actually meet Magic.

Any chance Sam had a kid or something? That could be a manufactured reason to give Sam's return emotional weight. What if it's secretly Addison? What if she then has to make a choice between allowing Sam or Ben to come home? (okay - sorry, I fell into a "contrived plot writing" rabbit hole...)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Yeah, I don't need to see Sam come home, but it'd be interesting to see Sam actually meet Magic.

Any chance Sam had a kid or something? That could be a manufactured reason to give Sam's return emotional weight. What if it's secretly Addison? What if she then has to make a choice between allowing Sam or Ben to come home? (okay - sorry, I fell into a "contrived plot writing" rabbit hole...)
    He had a wife in the present and conceived a child while leaping. Neither he nor the child are aware of their relationship, as she believes her father to be someone else and Sam presumably forgot once he leapt again.